ALi M5289 RAID Controler Drivers

samiscool51
Go to solution Solved by samiscool51,
9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

winxp drivers won't normally work on 2016. The kernel and low level system is very different.

it sometimes does, sometimes it doesn't

some hardware that i have used in the past that have xp drivers work fine on 10 while others outright refuse to install, even in compatibility mode...

i might as well give up, i prefer to have the drivers for hardware i own but i looks lime i won't be able to get any for this one

i mark it solved cause i can't work on this now, maybe in the furture

I picked up this card about 1 year ago and thought,

hmm, might want to try it first

put it into my server (even though i have RAID in it) to see if it works

it does, now to find the drivers

Unfortunately ALi has removed them fro their website and other websites say they have the drivers (BullS**t) or point to a dead link

been doing this for about a week and now i'm giving up and asking for help

here's the technical info

ALi M5289 RAID Controller 

Hardware id: PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5228&SUBSYS_528110B9&REV_C6

looked at PCIDATABASE.com says it is a M5228, this is not true after checking the card itself as it says it's a M5289

Pops up as a Mass storage controller in device manager under other devices (two actually, it has IDE as well, just one IDE connector)

Running Windows Server 2016 (got a key from work, we don't use 2016 as it's not stable enough for our needs yet)

and thats all i can give as i'm at work....

i swear i get this every time i get some rare or exotic piece of hardware ore software it's always a pain in the butt to get to work!

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

From the look of this, this isn't support in that os and there isn't anything you can do. It should work in linux, and then you can run windows in a vm, but the days of ide raid are way over now.

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

From the look of this, this isn't support in that os and there isn't anything you can do. It should work in linux, and then you can run windows in a vm, but the days of ide raid are way over now.

i'm probably not going to use it for anything but i try and get the drivers for all my hardware so if i need it i don't have to spend time looking for the drivers if they are on a disk or stored on my server

also due to how windows handles it's drivers, it should work even if it wasn't designed for it

29 minutes ago, samiscool51 said:

i'm probably not going to use it for anything but i try and get the drivers for all my hardware so if i need it i don't have to spend time looking for the drivers if they are on a disk or stored on my server

also due to how windows handles it's drivers, it should work even if it wasn't designed for it

this was designed for windows 9X this isn't just gonna work on a 10 year newer os. Id toss that card.

40 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

this was designed for windows 9X this isn't just gonna work on a 10 year newer os. Id toss that card.

i have seen drivers as high as winxp, so it should work

i just need to find legit ones....

11 minutes ago, samiscool51 said:

i have seen drivers as high as winxp, so it should work

i just need to find legit ones....

winxp drivers won't normally work on 2016. The kernel and low level system is very different.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

it sometimes does, sometimes it doesn't

some hardware that i have used in the past that have xp drivers work fine on 10 while others outright refuse to install, even in compatibility mode...

i might as well give up, i prefer to have the drivers for hardware i own but i looks lime i won't be able to get any for this one

i mark it solved cause i can't work on this now, maybe in the furture