Gaming/Travel-Friendly mATX Build Contemplation -- Need a bit of help

Hey, guys. First post, I usually lurk a fair bit. As the title says, I've been looking into mATX builds recently, and I've got a fair number of questions about it all (mATX, air travel with a desktop, other stuff).

Specifically, this is the build I'm contemplating: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1ZmNe **Note that I already have everything besides the case, CPU, and motherboard** 

Here are some things that concern me/thoughts I've had about this potential build:

• I've thought about getting an aftermarket cooler, something like the Corsair H80, but I don't want to get anything I don't actually need for a functional build.
  • I've heard from people that I may have to remove the 5.25" drive bay, considering the length of my card, but I assume that I can also just put the card on a lower PCIe slot.
  • Another concern would be if I'd need lower profile RAM or not. Again, I figure it shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I can't be too careful.
  • How would I go about cable management? Would that be a major concern? My PSU isn't modular, so there's a chance that free cables would create hassle. Is that easily avoidable?
  • What else should I look out for if I move forward with this?

As for the travel part, any tips/tricks to travelling with a desktop? I was thinking of taking most of the internal components out (i.e. drives, grahics card, RAM), wrapping those in anti-static and carrying them with me, and leaving the case with firm foam in it, all in some sort of hard-shell luggage case. And, if it doesn't fit snugly, I'd surround the case with more foam in the luggage. As far as I've seen, this seems like the ideal way to do it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was something even easier and safer to do (besides staying at home and not travelling).

Anyway, thanks in advance for whatever help you guys offer, and I'll see you around!

--Gnarly

CPUIntel i7 4770k @3.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | GPU: eVGA GTX 780 SC w/Titan Cooler | Storage: 2x Corsair Force 3 120GB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB 3.5" HDD | RAM: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600, 2x4GB Kingston Blu Red DDR3-1600 | PSU: Corsair GS600 80+ Bronze | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Displays: BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz, Dell SR2220L 21.5", LG E2241 21.5" | Keyboard: AZiO Levetron Mech5 MX Blacks | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Samson C01U USB Condenser, RØDE PSA1 Scissor Boom, Akai MPK25 MIDI Controller | Phone: Google Nexus 5 16GB 4.4.2 | Desk: IKEA LINNMON+ADILS | Guitars: Teisco VN-4, Teisco EP93-T

NZXT Vulcan would be great for travelling.

I guess its time do decide whether he should go for the vulcan or prodigal son......mark 42

spockvulcan.jpgvsPhoto(34).jpg

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

how will u be travelling if its by car or anyway u can sit it on your lap on a seat next to u i wouldnt bother taking it apart but if its by plane i would.

If your serious about bring it to LANs the H80i will do fine I was a bit worried if you got a air cooler not to sure how carrying one of those in a system will be like :S

Whatever height ram is okay when you have a pre-done aftermarket liquid cooler. Cable management can be messy but at least put the effort to show it off

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

For matx AMD is usually never the way to go, if you give us a budget we may be able to see if we can come up with something better,

I've really only got about around $240 to spend, total. I picked AMD because Microcenter has really good bundle deals and the nearest Microcenter isn't very far away.

CPUIntel i7 4770k @3.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | GPU: eVGA GTX 780 SC w/Titan Cooler | Storage: 2x Corsair Force 3 120GB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB 3.5" HDD | RAM: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600, 2x4GB Kingston Blu Red DDR3-1600 | PSU: Corsair GS600 80+ Bronze | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Displays: BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz, Dell SR2220L 21.5", LG E2241 21.5" | Keyboard: AZiO Levetron Mech5 MX Blacks | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Samson C01U USB Condenser, RØDE PSA1 Scissor Boom, Akai MPK25 MIDI Controller | Phone: Google Nexus 5 16GB 4.4.2 | Desk: IKEA LINNMON+ADILS | Guitars: Teisco VN-4, Teisco EP93-T

I've really only got about around $240 to spend, total. I picked AMD because Microcenter has really good bundle deals and the nearest Microcenter isn't very far away.

AMD is the way to go then, good luck.

Alright, thanks. I figure that AMD isn't desirable over Intel on a lot of points, but their prices are hard to beat, and what I'm thinking of getting does what I want it to do.

how will u be travelling if its by car or anyway u can sit it on your lap on a seat next to u i wouldnt bother taking it apart but if its by plane i would.

Air travel, mostly. If I do end up going places over the ground, I'd just keep it how it is.

Looks fine. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Looks fine. 

This genuinely makes me feel a lot safer about this build. I'm going to go ahead and go through with it as soon as I can, and I'll probably post pictures of it and how much of a terrible job I'd be doing. (hue)

This genuinely makes me feel a lot safer about this build. I'm going to go ahead and go through with it as soon as I can, and I'll probably post pictures of it and how much of a terrible job I'd be doing. (hue)

e4d0708bfa16274a04985478ad1fd405.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

e4d0708bfa16274a04985478ad1fd405.png

iPesmyJ.jpg