Samsung laptop refuses to boot from new ssd (bootloop)

Christopher_

I just got this decent Samsung laptop (530u or something) and I'm having real trouble getting Windows 10 to work.

I have tried fiddling around in the bios with different boot settings etc but nothing seems to help.

after I install Windows 10 from a usb and try to boot from the ssd it goes into a bootloop. Need to go into bios to make it stop. The os is not detected in the bios or some reason (no windows boot manager in boot priority)

would not boot from the same ssd when it had a working os from a different machine. But when I took an old hardrive with Windows 10 on it it booted right away with no issues.

anyone have any clues about what might be happening? Maybe it dosent like the ssd, some bios setting?

What type of SSD is it?  SATA, mSATA, m.2, etc.  Model might help.  Also check whether you're trying to install as UEFI or legacy as well as if you selected the USB install drive to install as Legacy or UEFI.

1 minute ago, Doramius said:

What type of SSD is it?  SATA, mSATA, m.2, etc.  Model might help.  Also check whether you're trying to install as UEFI or legacy as well as if you selected the USB install drive to install as Legacy or UEFI.

Its this one "Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB 2.5" SSD OEM"

I had to set "Fast BIOS mode" to disabled for the Usb installation to work. Im guessing that sets it to legacy mode

Here is the description;

"enabled" Means POST time is reduced.

"disabled" means POST time is not reduced

Legacy USB is supported 

"disabled means that the system can boot into legacy OS only"

Tried to boot from the ssd with that setting on and off

I just installed new Windows 10 on SSD on a laptop from 2015. Because it was an UEFI based bios or sth, I had to disable "Secured Boot Control" from security section and then enable "Launch CSM" (compatibility support mode) from boot section. When I pressed F10 for save and exit, it saved, then restarted and picked up the installater usb (original from windows, not internet based, but I think it doesn't matter) and went smooth from there on. 

I don't know if your laptop has a UEFI based bios, but if it does, I believe that's the way to go. I don't think I matters if your SSD already has something written on it since the installer prompts you to format the drive as a step of installation, should there be anything on the given drive. 

If you can't get into bios, just remove all the discs and turn on the computer without them, It'll have nowhere else to go than bios. You can change the settings then, save it, turn it back off and install the discs and plug in the USB. The next time you turn it on, It should pick up the installer usb. That is, if your laptop has a UEFI bios. 

I hope anything of this helps. Cheers

Windows 10 works much better with UEFI, but that doesn't mean you can't use legacy.  Let's try UEFI first.  You should be able to find in the BIOS an ADVANCED tab.  Set UEFI to enabled, AHCI Control to auto, and AHCI mode to Enabled.  Under the BOOT tab, Secure Boot to Disabled and use UEFI OS.  Make sure your boot order has the SSD listed first, even though you'll choose the USB drive as an alternate boot device

18 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

I just installed new Windows 10 on SSD on a laptop from 2015. Because it was an UEFI based bios or sth, I had to disable "Secured Boot Control" from security section and then enable "Launch CSM" (compatibility support mode) from boot section. When I pressed F10 for save and exit, it saved, then restarted and picked up the installater usb (original from windows, not internet based, but I think it doesn't matter) and went smooth from there on. 

I don't know if your laptop has a UEFI based bios, but if it does, I believe that's the way to go. I don't think I matters if your SSD already has something written on it since the installer prompts you to format the drive as a step of installation, should there be anything on the given drive. 

If you can't get into bios, just remove all the discs and turn on the computer without them, It'll have nowhere else to go than bios. You can change the settings then, save it, turn it back off and install the discs and plug in the USB. The next time you turn it on, It should pick up the installer usb. That is, if your laptop has a UEFI bios. 

I hope anything of this helps. Cheers

11 minutes ago, Doramius said:

Windows 10 works much better with UEFI, but that doesn't mean you can't use legacy.  Let's try UEFI first.  You should be able to find in the BIOS an ADVANCED tab.  Set UEFI to enabled, AHCI Control to auto, and AHCI mode to Enabled.  Under the BOOT tab, Secure Boot to Disabled and use UEFI OS.  Make sure your boot order has the SSD listed first, even though you'll choose the USB drive as an alternate boot device

Its not a uefi Bios unfortunately. Its the old type 

EDIT: Just found out that the usb installer is UEFI, but there was an option in the bios to make it boot from UEFI.

Anyways trying to install windows on another system from the same generation, maybe that helps

That's strange since the 530u BIOS should have UEFI.  However, If it is Legacy only, and UEFI is not an option, then make sure you have the flash drive plugged into a USB port that is closest to either the power adapter or external video connector (VGA).  I'll explain later.  In Advanced, set AHCI to AUTO and Fast Boot to disabled.  Make sure in BOOT tab, if there is a line that says UEFI Boot Support -> it must be set to disabled.  Save and exit.  

I can't remember if Samsung uses the Escape key or something like F12, Delete, or F10 key to manually select boot order.  try one of those to choose an initial boot alternative and choose the USB drive.  Advantage of this is, when the install finishes, you don't have to go back into the BIOS and re-change the Boot Order later on.  

The reason you want to put the flash drive in a USB port closest to the power or External video card is some laptops (and even desktops) have an internal hub.  the USB ports on a laptop that are closest to the power or external video connector tend to be the main ports.  On a Desktop, the main ports tend to be the 2 right under the LAN port.  Using another USB port might make the drive not recognizable, or the hub may not be fully loaded at POST.  Weird, but hey, whatever works.....

14 minutes ago, Doramius said:

That's strange since the 530u BIOS should have UEFI.  However, If it is Legacy only, and UEFI is not an option, then make sure you have the flash drive plugged into a USB port that is closest to either the power adapter or external video connector (VGA).  I'll explain later.  In Advanced, set AHCI to AUTO and Fast Boot to disabled.  Make sure in BOOT tab, if there is a line that says UEFI Boot Support -> it must be set to disabled.  Save and exit.  

I can't remember if Samsung uses the Escape key or something like F12, Delete, or F10 key to manually select boot order.  try one of those to choose an initial boot alternative and choose the USB drive.  Advantage of this is, when the install finishes, you don't have to go back into the BIOS and re-change the Boot Order later on.  

The reason you want to put the flash drive in a USB port closest to the power or External video card is some laptops (and even desktops) have an internal hub.  the USB ports on a laptop that are closest to the power or external video connector tend to be the main ports.  On a Desktop, the main ports tend to be the 2 right under the LAN port.  Using another USB port might make the drive not recognizable, or the hub may not be fully loaded at POST.  Weird, but hey, whatever works.....

I tried booting from an install from another computer, but no luck.

i followed your steps and I'm currently installing Windows, however something pretty odd is that the sub flash drive showed up as a drive I could install Windows on?

anyway I'll let you know how it works out

31 minutes ago, Doramius said:

Hmmm, didn't work.

the ssd shows up in boot meny, but when I try to boot from it it goes back to the boot meny.

when I had the flash drive plugged in I could boot from the ssd, but it would redirect me to the Windows installation tool.

at this point I really don't know what could be wrong

Booting from an install from another computer wont work unless the BIOS settings are setup similarly.  If it doesn't translate properly it just won't load.  I've done that trick many times, and as long as the settings are the same, it works without issue.  That's strange that it goes back to the boot menu. There's something in the install or boot behavior that seems to be missing.  I'll have to test it out on some of my repair machines and see if I can duplicate the issue.

Remove the drive, stick it in an enclosure, and check the partition table.  If it's MBR, delete all the partitions, and convert it to GPT.  Then reinstall Windows 10.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

13 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Remove the drive, stick it in an enclosure, and check the partition table.  If it's MBR, delete all the partitions, and convert it to GPT.  Then reinstall Windows 10.

I got it installed now, thanks for the help!

though it was MBR but I didn't find a way to convert it in windows, nor using the command prompt. (Commend promt said there was something missing?)

anyways I installed Windows on the drive in an old machine that didn't have uefi (i7 950 x58) and it works perfectly right now.

1 minute ago, Christopher_ said:

I got it installed now, thanks for the help!

though it was MBR but I didn't find a way to convert it in windows, nor using the command prompt. (Commend promt said there was something missing?)

anyways I installed Windows on the drive in an old machine that didn't have uefi (i7 950 x58) and it works perfectly right now.

You have to delete all the partitions (so it's just unallocated space) before you can change the table.  You could use Disk Management or something like EaseUS Partition Master.  As long as you've got it working, that's what matters. :)

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440