MSI Z270-A PRO RGB Header

I just built a brand new system using the MSI Z270-A PRO motherboard and there is no RGB header. However there seems to be a place where i could solder a 4 pin header on as if the motherboard actually does have support for it. Just wanted to gather some other opinions on the matter before i attempt surgery. The empty contact points in question are in the picture and are labeled JLED1. The board did actually also come with RGB management software; MSI Mystic Light. As of right now it can only manage the one strip of white LEDs that come pre-soldered on the motherboard. 

IMG_2410.PNG

3 minutes ago, r2good4u said:

I just built a brand new system using the MSI Z270-A PRO motherboard and there is no RGB header. However there seems to be a place where i could solder a 4 pin header on as if the motherboard actually does have support for it. Just wanted to gather some other opinions on the matter before i attempt surgery. The empty contact points in question are in the picture and are labeled JLED1. The board did actually also come with RGB management software; MSI Mystic Light. As of right now it can only manage the one strip of white LEDs that come pre-soldered on the motherboard. 

In most cases they do not install the components on the board for the RGB control systems and leave out software support for it so it's just a empty socket and circuity. 

Thats what i would usually think too but since there is software support included that controls the existing LEDs on the board i was thinking that it could possibly work. I mean most likely your still right but I feel like its a possibility anyway.

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

In most cases they do not install the components on the board for the RGB control systems and leave out software support for it so it's just a empty socket and circuity. 

1 minute ago, r2good4u said:

Thats what i would usually thing too but since there is software support included controls the existing LEDs on the board i was thinking that it could possibly work. I mean most likely your still right but I feel like its a possibility anyway.

Try carefully probing it with a multi-meter to see if there is power when you change the individual RGB color option that is if they are part of the software. I would think would grey or disable it if the board didn't have it. 

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

Try carefully probing it with a multi-meter to see if there is power when you change the individual RGB color option that is if they are part of the software. I would think would grey or disable it if the board didn't have it. 

Yea good thought, Ill try that out and see where it gets me.

Hey mind posting an image of your board with the white LEDs lit up? Would love to see it. 

6 minutes ago, mealto said:

Hey mind posting an image of your board with the white LEDs lit up? Would love to see it. 

Sure thing, Its a very minimalist look which I actually really like. I just want to throw some more green or white accents in there.

IMG_2411.JPG

1 minute ago, mealto said:

Cool. Is that the outline for where they "separated" the audio portion of the MB? 

yea lol the "separation"

3 minutes ago, r2good4u said:

yea lol the "separation"

Isolation for less interference I believe. Hey, i appreiate you taking the time to post the image. Thankd again. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

hello my friend, have you soldered to the empty port, I have such an idea in my mind right now, but I am afraid of damaging the motherboard and wasting my efforts.