Windows 10 Ram pinned above 50% usage

Go to solution Solved by JoostinOnline,

That's really weird.  It should be at the recommended amount.  Manually set it to 2926MB and reboot.  Then switch it back to system managed and reboot again.  Hopefully that will reset it so it doesn't waste a ton of storage.  You could also just leave it at manual if you want.

As for your RAM issue, it's probably Windows itself.  Try opening Resource Monitor and sorting memory by Working Set.

So I noticed this about a day or two ago, but my computer, even at idle is consuming 7-8 gb of my 16gb of ram.  Ive updated all my drivers, windows is up to date, and google has been useless to me.  Any ideas?

edit* task manager shows nothing consuming all this ram either

its called cache. google ram cache. this question gets asked a few times a week and its the same reason why people mistakenly believe google chrome eats ram

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, Jade said:

Unused RAM is wasted RAM. Restart your PC.

Why is restarting a good idea?  Then everything will need to be cached all over again lol.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, GauntletV2 said:

So I noticed this about a day or two ago, but my computer, even at idle is consuming 7-8 gb of my 16gb of ram.  Ive updated all my drivers, windows is up to date, and google has been useless to me.  Any ideas?

edit* task manager shows nothing consuming all this ram either

Disable Microsoft's stupid Anti-Virus software.

I had this issue on a laptop and until I got rid of that garbage it didn't stop.

Sometimes it would use all of it, rendering my laptop unusable.

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Why is restarting a good idea?  Then everything will need to be cached all over again lol.

Pretty simple: if he's worried about it being used, that's how you'd go about clearing it without doing anything fancy.

1 minute ago, Jade said:

Pretty simple: if he's worried about it being used, that's how you'd go about clearing it without doing anything fancy.

Yeah but its at 50% even right after boot as well

6 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

good read, but it was not like this even a few days ago. Im more concerned about what caused it so quickly.  I have no problem with the ram being used if its just cache, but id like to know what.  How can I check that?

6 minutes ago, GauntletV2 said:

Yeah but its at 50% even right after boot as well

That's weird.  My laptop starts at about 2.4GB at startup.  I waste about 1GB on Momentum Cache (which has no noticeable effect on performance) because I can, bringing it up to 3.4GB.  I then wait for it to actually come close to filling the rest of the 16GB with cached processes.

Let's see a screenshot of Task Manager sorted by memory usage.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's weird.  My laptop starts at about 2.4GB at startup.  I waste about 1GB on Momentum Cache (which has no noticeable effect on performance) because I can, bringing it up to 3.4GB.  I then wait for it to actually come close to filling the rest of the 16GB with cached processes.

Let's see a screenshot of Task Manager sorted by memory usage.

https://gyazo.com/9985532aa77781687555ba5b859e7786 this is immediately after shutting down and booting

11 minutes ago, GauntletV2 said:

good read, but it was not like this even a few days ago. Im more concerned about what caused it so quickly.  I have no problem with the ram being used if its just cache, but id like to know what.  How can I check that?

when it comes to ram there are two things to pay attention to. a crashed program which will be obvious and the page file use. your ram use is only 50% so i doubt much page file is being used and you have nothing to worry about

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Why the holy f#ck is your committed memory 31.9GB?  Did you create a 16GB pagefile?

I dont know what any of that means, but if you;d care to explain that'd be great :)

1 minute ago, GauntletV2 said:

I dont know what any of that means, but if you;d care to explain that'd be great :)

The pagefile (aka swap memory) is where data is stored in case you run out of RAM.  Windows saves inactive processes there so active ones can make use of the free RAM.  It's much slower than actually having more RAM though.

Anyway, right click on the Start Menu icon and choose System.  Then click on these options from left to right

pagefile.png

I accidentally covered too much of the System Properties window, but you should be able to figure out what it's pointing to.

Post a screenshot off what the final window says.

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

The pagefile (aka swap memory) is where data is stored in case you run out of RAM.  Windows saves inactive processes there so active ones can make use of the free RAM.  It's much slower than actually having more RAM though.

Anyway, right click on the Start Menu icon and choose System.  Then click on these options from left to right

pagefile.png

I accidentally covered too much of the System Properties window, but you should be able to figure out what it's pointing to.

Post a screenshot off what the final window says.

https://gyazo.com/a10c4e455d3147423f851690f08fd65a

That's really weird.  It should be at the recommended amount.  Manually set it to 2926MB and reboot.  Then switch it back to system managed and reboot again.  Hopefully that will reset it so it doesn't waste a ton of storage.  You could also just leave it at manual if you want.

As for your RAM issue, it's probably Windows itself.  Try opening Resource Monitor and sorting memory by Working Set.

7 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Did all that, still didnt work.  But i did shut down my computer, remove that WD harddrive, and reslot my ram.  Its idling at 10% now.  So I guess thank you ? :) At least i know all this for the future