Pin layouts question

Zandvliet

Hi,

I've resleeved my PSU cables, but there are reasons to believe that I might have made a mistake since my MB and CPU don't work anymore after the resleeving. Just for your information before the resleeving it worked fine, but the MB and CPU don't show video output anymore, MB lights up and all, fans turn on but nothing. I've send the MB and CPU back and hope for the best. 

Now my question is whether or not all the 24 pin and 8 pin (CPU) pin layouts are the same?

I found this picture:

5175_16_case_smithing_getting_started_wi

And wonder if I can use this to retrace the cables to see if I made a mistake, which I find hard to believe since I resleeved each cable one by one, thereby never having more than one pin out of the plug.

Cheers.

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

The connectors are standardized, so yeah, if you did as you say (taking just one wire out at a time) then you should be fine.

Just one observation : there's usually a wire missing from the 24 pin connector, which was used in the past for -5v.  It's no longer used in modern systems.  Make sure you didn't insert a wire by accident in that "slot" instead of the slot you removed the wire in the first place. If you did that, you probably shifted a whole batch of wires one hole to the left or right, and that would explain why it doesn't work anymore.

The power supply may have some short circuit protections... if it looks like it doesn't respond at all, remove it from computer and mains socket, leave it like that for about 1 minute, then plug the power supply back in the mains.

If you have a multimeter around, you could check the voltage between a ground wire (black in the 24 pin atx connector) and the 5v stand by wire, which is usually violet/purple .. the color is wrong in your picture :

pinout.png

NC is not connected, it's where used to be -5v that is no longer used by modern computers.

If you get 5v between a ground wire and that 5v stand by, that means at least a part of the power supply is still functional.

You can now turn on the power supply without it being connected to the computer by creating a short (a connection) between any ground wire and the PS-On wire (green). This tells the power supply to turn on the other voltages and basically turn on completely.

Now you can put one probe of your multimeter on any ground wire, and measure the voltages on the other holes, to see if you put them correctly. 

Note.. -12v may be anything between -10v and -13v , it's about as important as the missing -5v and most power supplies don't bother regulating it as much as the other voltages, so your power supply isn't bad if the voltage isn't quite -12v.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The connectors are standardized, so yeah, if you did as you say (taking just one wire out at a time) then you should be fine.

Just one observation : there's usually a wire missing from the 24 pin connector, which was used in the past for -5v.  It's no longer used in modern systems.  Make sure you didn't insert a wire by accident in that "slot" instead of the slot you removed the wire in the first place. If you did that, you probably shifted a whole batch of wires one hole to the left or right, and that would explain why it doesn't work anymore.

The power supply may have some short circuit protections... if it looks like it doesn't respond at all, remove it from computer and mains socket, leave it like that for about 1 minute, then plug the power supply back in the mains.

If you have a multimeter around, you could check the voltage between a ground wire (black in the 24 pin atx connector) and the 5v stand by wire, which is usually violet/purple .. the color is wrong in your picture :

pinout.png

NC is not connected, it's where used to be -5v that is no longer used by modern computers.

If you get 5v between a ground wire and that 5v stand by, that means at least a part of the power supply is still functional.

You can now turn on the power supply without it being connected to the computer by creating a short (a connection) between any ground wire and the PS-On wire (green). This tells the power supply to turn on the other voltages and basically turn on completely.

Now you can put one probe of your multimeter on any ground wire, and measure the voltages on the other holes, to see if you put them correctly. 

Note.. -12v may be anything between -10v and -13v , it's about as important as the missing -5v and most power supplies don't bother regulating it as much as the other voltages, so your power supply isn't bad if the voltage isn't quite -12v.

Thanks, I could have misplaced that empty pin. The PSU works fine, I'm just afraid I fried the MB and CPU by misplacing one pin. I've tried all the tips and tricks the internet provided but nothing worked and send the MB and CPU back. 

I'll recheck the pins this weekend and we'll see.

Again thanks for the feedback.

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)