USB extender (10m) + usb hub + peripherals

Go to solution Solved by zehao39,

Hello,

I am currently planning a way to move my gaming peripherals (xbox 360 pc controllers) next to my TV which will be at about 10 meters away from my PC. 

Note: i will refer to my usb2.0 as usb throughout this topic

They way I see it, i will need a 10m long hdmi cable (pc to tv) and i want to dock a USB hub(external power) to the pc through a 10m long usb extender, so my 2 controllers will connect to the hub that is connected to the pc. 

I am worried about two things:

- when i tried to connect one of the xbox360 controllers to the pc through http://www.satechi.net/index.php/satechi-f1-smart-monitor-stand-white, it didn't work and i guess it's because the port wasn't powered enough. will a powered hub fix this issue?

- does this 10m distance will affect performance ? do I need a special kind of usb extender?

PS: i am open to other solutions

USB 2 is only garuanteed to work up to 5 meters, any longer than that and you will need active cables.

Is there any possibility of running it wirelessly?

2 minutes ago, Bwithnewcast said:

But that is not cheap at all,10 meter active USB cable are about 30$ and 10 meter HDMI cable are around 15$, a optical cable will cost more than 60$ 

9 minutes ago, zehao39 said:

But that is not cheap at all,10 meter active USB cable are about 30$ and 10 meter HDMI cable are around 15$, a optical cable will cost more than 60$ 

No shit but it is the best sulution

Thanks for the replies!

I want to have this set up ready as soon as possible and i am currently on a budget. I guess i could go with the cheap solution for now and consider an upgrade in the future. 

By the answers you provided, i suppose buying an "active" usb extender will do the trick, right?

1 hour ago, Cohacq said:

USB 2 is only garuanteed to work up to 5 meters, any longer than that and you will need active cables.

Is there any possibility of running it wirelessly?

Could you be more specific, please? What do you have in mind?

3 hours ago, Trotilatu said:

Could you be more specific, please? What do you have in mind?

wireless is never a good idea becasue it will almost all the time interfear with other networking and you get the ping latency so if you are a gamer you hate ping and try to get it as low as possible

• 3 weeks later...