Multi-Use Build Help!

ThePrideOfKC

Hello everyone!

Been watching LTT for years now and figured now was as good of a time as any to dive into the forums! So here is what is going on. I am looking to finally build a PC that can satisfy all my hopes and dreams and stuff, and was hoping to get some assistance from this community that I know is very knowledgeable. Below I will list what I am looking to build in a semi-easy-to-digest manner! 

• I am a System Analyst at my day job, and would like to utilize this machine as a kind of playground to do some work with databases, spin up various VMs, that kind of stuff.
  • Also I am not sure if this is even necessary to add but I do spend a good amount of personal time with coding projects (little web dev, little app dev).
  • Aside from using it as a database playground, I will be using this machine for a lot of gaming. I would like to be able to play pretty much any AAA on Ultra settings without having to think twice. Also, I would very much like to be able to play games in 4K with the best possible performance 2017 has to offer. 

Specific stuff!

• So, I know that this trend annoys some people BUT, I am very into RGB tech products. I am typing this on my Corsair K70 lol. I am very much into the idea that I can change my colors and ambiance of my work/battle station whenever I feel like it. I guess my mood just changes too much to be able to just pick a single lighting color at the beginning of a build and just live with it forever. That being said, anything that is a quality product that fits into the specs of what I need, whether it be fans, RAM, motherboards, PLEASE RECOMMEND IT!
  • Would prefer to stay in the Intel/Nvidia realm. 
  • Because I will be doing heavy database management this machine needs to be able to run four (4) monitors simultaneously. In time, I will upgrade to having three 24" and one Ultrawide that is mounted above the three angled down towards me. 
  • Price - so the price I am pretty flexible on. I would prefer it come in under $2000, but I could live with $2500. So lets put the price range at $0-$2500.

As someone who works in technology and keeps very current with what is going on I sat down to do this build and was just overwhelmed with all of the options. So I thank anyone in advance who takes time out of their day to assist me with this project. It has been a lifelong dream of mine to build the machine of my "dreams" and any help at all is appreciated more than you know. Please please please ask me any additional questions you may have as I am sure I forgot something!

--

Joe

Honestly, for 2500$ you can build anything. And from reading what you wrote you don't need a powerful CPU.

I not gonna handtype you a guide, simply google up GTX 1080 Build and you'll find many. Since you're in the market of 2500$ get a GTX 1080.

But... and I don't want to discourage you here. There's absolutely no way you're running 4x 4k monitors and having to reset your settings from 1080p to 4k everytime you want to play a game is pretty annoying.

2 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

Honestly, for 2500$ you can build anything. And from reading what you wrote you don't need a powerful CPU.

But... and I don't wan to discourage you here. There's absolutely no way you're running 4x 4k monitors.

Oh I am so sorry I should have clarified. With the monitors only one of them will be 4k! And I was pretty sure that I could get just about anything for that price range, I am mainly hoping for a good rundown of what various people recommend as a build part-wise. I am just overwhelmed with all of the parts and their variations and wanted to hear what people recommend. 

6 minutes ago, ThePrideOfKC said:

Oh I am so sorry I should have clarified. With the monitors only one of them will be 4k! And I was pretty sure that I could get just about anything for that price range, I am mainly hoping for a good rundown of what various people recommend as a build part-wise. I am just overwhelmed with all of the parts and their variations and wanted to hear what people recommend. 

They are all good. When building it is all about preference. Like there are tons of RAM, Motherboard, etc. that are same as each other. It all depends on which company you like the best, what color you want. And what case you have.

I could give you a ton of cheap stuff but it would end be looking terrible.

Regards to your coding, are you coding for apps in which you have to render with the new code like a game(like you posted)? Or simply coding software?

Because if you are going to render after inputting new code, then you'll need a powerful CPU to lower the time.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($343.33 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($148.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270F ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($189.00 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($116.91 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 600p Series 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($108.98 @ Directron)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.33 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card  ($678.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Dell U2515H 25.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor  ($342.39 @ B&H)
Total: $2499.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-13 05:28 EST-0500

this is somewhat all black, the kraken is capable of rgb, dunno about rgb ram yet, strix is also rgb and black, so it comes down to case lighting. Mobo has rgb accents and a rgb header, and case is afaik ready for lighting strips. About monitors and 4k: with a single 1080, you won't be able to max all games, but a second 1080 would blow your budget without having even considered a monitor. And a good 4k monitor will you set back another $700-1000, so it gets tight with 4 monitors within budget. I'd recommend getting maybe two decent 1440p monitors now, and eventually get the 4k or a 21:9 later

EDIT:exactly $2500 :D

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

20 minutes ago, ThePrideOfKC said:

Hello everyone!

Been watching LTT for years now and figured now was as good of a time as any to dive into the forums! So here is what is going on. I am looking to finally build a PC that can satisfy all my hopes and dreams and stuff, and was hoping to get some assistance from this community that I know is very knowledgeable. Below I will list what I am looking to build in a semi-easy-to-digest manner! 

• I am a System Analyst at my day job, and would like to utilize this machine as a kind of playground to do some work with databases, spin up various VMs, that kind of stuff.
  • Also I am not sure if this is even necessary to add but I do spend a good amount of personal time with coding projects (little web dev, little app dev).
  • Aside from using it as a database playground, I will be using this machine for a lot of gaming. I would like to be able to play pretty much any AAA on Ultra settings without having to think twice. Also, I would very much like to be able to play games in 4K with the best possible performance 2017 has to offer. 

Specific stuff!

• So, I know that this trend annoys some people BUT, I am very into RGB tech products. I am typing this on my Corsair K70 lol. I am very much into the idea that I can change my colors and ambiance of my work/battle station whenever I feel like it. I guess my mood just changes too much to be able to just pick a single lighting color at the beginning of a build and just live with it forever. That being said, anything that is a quality product that fits into the specs of what I need, whether it be fans, RAM, motherboards, PLEASE RECOMMEND IT!
  • Would prefer to stay in the Intel/Nvidia realm. 
  • Because I will be doing heavy database management this machine needs to be able to run four (4) monitors simultaneously. In time, I will upgrade to having three 24" and one Ultrawide that is mounted above the three angled down towards me. 
  • Price - so the price I am pretty flexible on. I would prefer it come in under $2000, but I could live with $2500. So lets put the price range at $0-$2500.

As someone who works in technology and keeps very current with what is going on I sat down to do this build and was just overwhelmed with all of the options. So I thank anyone in advance who takes time out of their day to assist me with this project. It has been a lifelong dream of mine to build the machine of my "dreams" and any help at all is appreciated more than you know. Please please please ask me any additional questions you may have as I am sure I forgot something!

--

Joe

The one @19_blackie_73 supplied is probably the more responsible option.

But this one got RGB ram! I mean that's pretty cool. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($343.33 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($138.00 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-4266 Memory  ($259.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Intel 750 Series 400GB PCI-E Solid State Drive  ($316.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($117.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card  ($678.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case  ($197.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($77.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $2321.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-13 05:29 EST-0500

Here's to the crazy ones...

7 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($343.33 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($148.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270F ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($189.00 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($116.91 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 600p Series 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($108.98 @ Directron)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.33 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card  ($678.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2499.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-13 05:28 EST-0500

this is somewhat all black, the kraken is capable of rgb, dunno about rgb ram yet, strix is also rgb and black, so it comes down to case lighting. Mobo has rgb accents and a rgb header, and case is afaik ready for lighting strips. About monitors and 4k: with a single 1080, you won't be able to max all games, but a second 1080 would blow your budget without having even considered a monitor. And a good 4k monitor will you set back another $700-1000, so it gets tight with 4 monitors within budget. I'd recommend getting maybe two decent 1440p monitors now, and eventually get the 4k or a 21:9 later

EDIT:exactly $2500 :D

Thank you so much for your input! Luckily I am totally focused on the build right now, and am not factoring in the monitors to the price as they will come at date that has yet been specified lol. But I might just take a look at adding a second 1080. Thanks again!

7 hours ago, TheTelperion said:

The one @19_blackie_73 supplied is probably the more responsible option.

But this one got RGB ram! I mean that's pretty cool. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($343.33 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($138.00 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-4266 Memory  ($259.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Intel 750 Series 400GB PCI-E Solid State Drive  ($316.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($117.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card  ($678.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case  ($197.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($77.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $2321.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-13 05:29 EST-0500

RGB is pretty awesome if you ask me. Thank you so much for contributing I really appreciate it and this helps a ton!