Choppy Wifi during gaming/streaming

Pachuca

Hi, I have a D-link DIR-868L router hooked up to my verizon fios (fiber optics) modem at home. The past few days I noticed problems with my wifi and I'm not sure what's causing it. When gaming online everything is choppy. When I play overwatch other players are moving weird almost like it's slow motion / choppy. I'm getting this result from my laptop and desktop wifi when connecting to my DIR-868L router. I get the same result if I switch over to the Verizon modem wifi. Also, I have this same lag/choppyness issue when streaming movies on netflix, but it's less noticeable. When I connect with an Ethernet cable for either my router or modem there's no problem. I'm not sure what else I may do to eliminate variables. What may be causing this problem? All the firmware is updated to the most recent version. I haven't reached out to Verizon about this yet because I'm not sure if it's a problem on their end or not. It seems to me like there's some kind of interference with the Wifi signal or something. Anyone have some thoughts on this issue?

Edit: I forgot to mention that the connection is stable and there is no disconnecting. Also I used wifi analyzer app to check signal strength and I didn't notice anything unusual. Signal is good, but clearly there is some kind of interference going on. 

have you tried turning them off and back on, no kiding.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

Try changing the channel to a different channel. Channels 1, 6 and 11 do not overlap and should be the channels you use to test your connection on. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

9 minutes ago, malon said:

have you tried turning them off and back on, no kiding.

IT Crowd... lol. Yes I have tried that and sometimes I get a message saying unable to connect to this network when attempting to connect to the Dlink router. Usually another reboot of the router fixes that problem. 

6 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Try changing the channel to a different channel. Channels 1, 6 and 11 do not overlap and should be the channels you use to test your connection on. 

it's already on channel 11, but I haven't tried it on other channels yet. Will have to give that a try later. 

Edit: also the verizon modem is on a different channel and it has the same problem with wifi. 

Edited by Pachuca