A few quick questions about my SSD

DeadHeadGamingYT

Hey everyone, 

So my old hard drive was starting to act REALLY funny, so I bought a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB BEFORE my old drive completely died.  Now I have 2 problems, thus, 2 questions.  Number 1, I am trying to clone my drive and the process is peaking at about 77MB/s.  This seems extremely slow to me.  Is the cloning process with Samsung Migration slow?  Or should I be seeing higher numbers?  Here comes the stupid question so go easy on me.  I brain farted and thought my motherboard had SATA 3 compatibility.  It does not. It only has SATA 2. So how much of a speed difference am I losing between 2 and 3?  I had heard that cloning from a HDD to an SSD isn't really a great idea and that I should just start fresh, which is fine, but if I can avoid that I would prefer to.  

So basically, should I still be getting good speeds with this SSD on my SATA 2 ports, and should I be seeing higher speeds while cloning?  Or should I just dump the cloning and install a fresh copy of Windows?  

Thanks so much!

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

cloning speed seems fine, your limited by the hdd.

Alright, so just clone it and call it a day?  Thanks for such a quick response too!

1 minute ago, DeadHeadGamingYT said:

Alright, so just clone it and call it a day?  Thanks for such a quick response too!

yep, just let it clone

3 minutes ago, DeadHeadGamingYT said:

-SNIP-

That looks like a good speed to me, as for the Sata 2 your going to be limited to ~300MB/s but it will still be a noticeable difference from the HDD. 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yep, just let it clone

Alright sounds good.  Thanks again for being so quick.  If you're ever in my area you'll have to let me buy you an ice cream clone ;)

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

That looks like a good speed to me, as for the Sata 2 your going to be limited to ~300MB/s but it will still be a noticeable difference from the HDD. 

Oh man only 300!? I'm kidding. This HDD is a wreck.  I had to copy a 4GB file last week.  It was spiking every few seconds from 14MB/s to 0.6.  It was extremely unstable and I was really nervous.  It was making all kinds of weird noises.  300MB/s is going to be insane. Half that would be incredible. 

2 minutes ago, DeadHeadGamingYT said:

Oh man only 300!? I'm kidding. This HDD is a wreck.  I had to copy a 4GB file last week.  It was spiking every few seconds from 14MB/s to 0.6.  It was extremely unstable and I was really nervous.  It was making all kinds of weird noises.  300MB/s is going to be insane. Half that would be incredible. 

Yeah I would grab that data off of it before it goes belly up one day, you'll still see a huge difference in terms of speed from a regular HDD. 

14 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yeah I would grab that data off of it before it goes belly up one day, you'll still see a huge difference in terms of speed from a regular HDD. 

Yeah exactly.  Ive always noticed that being a telltale sign of a drive on its way out. Speed fluctuation is normal I know but the graph looked like a heart monitor haha.  Theres nothing important on here but now that I have Windows and all of my programs setup just how I want them I really dont want to get it all back again