HP Omen 17 disassembly

Hi LTT peeps

So I recently bought an HP Omen 17 laptop (good price for a GTX 1070 I thought), and I'm hoping someone on here has experience with these machines as I'm struggling to get the bottom panel off in order to swap out the pre-installed 2.5" mechanical disk drive.  I've followed the instructions in the service manual and removed all the screws, but the plastic base seems to be really well attached to the top side as it doesn't just 'come loose'.  I can slip the blade of a flat-headed screw-driver in between the layers from the top (with the laptop lid open) but the force you have to exert is pretty large, and there's way too much resistance.  

Anyone know of an easier way to get into these?  

5 minutes ago, Mechorpheus said:

Hi LTT peeps

So I recently bought an HP Omen 17 laptop (good price for a GTX 1070 I thought), and I'm hoping someone on here has experience with these machines as I'm struggling to get the bottom panel off in order to swap out the pre-installed 2.5" mechanical disk drive.  I've followed the instructions in the service manual and removed all the screws, but the plastic base seems to be really well attached to the top side as it doesn't just 'come loose'.  I can slip the blade of a flat-headed screw-driver in between the layers from the top (with the laptop lid open) but the force you have to exert is pretty large, and there's way too much resistance.  

Anyone know of an easier way to get into these?  

Um, don't use a flat head screw driver. You'll have to use a nylon pick. (or credit card or guitar pick if you don't have computer stuff) to separate the parts. I cannot find a step by step, but HP's are pretty simple.I suggest starting on one end where the break for the hinge is. It's much easier to start there and work your way around than it is to start in the middle of the seam.