Windows could not complete the installation

dwang040

I'm not sure what's going on. I created a boot able flash drive, plugged it in, hit f8 or something to select the drive as boot. Then installed. It finished installing amd automatically restart. Then I got this error. So, I rebooted into the installer, deleted all the partitions and started again. This time, I remo we the flash drive and booted with the hard drive. Failed again. I've tried reordering boot priorities and everything but it's just not working. It keeps failing. Finally, all these videos and articles say oh, just hit f10, but I can't cause my keyboard if mouse won't even work when the message pops up. 

I ran into a similar issue with my last build and it was caused by one of my other hard drives. The simple solution (for me at least) was to unplug all drives apart from the one I wanted to install Windows on and then re-ran the setup from scratch. After it booted into windows for the first time, I shut down and reattached my other drives.

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

1 minute ago, SonoDanshi said:

The simple solution (for me at least) was to unplug all drives apart from the one I wanted to install Windows on

I generally recommend doing this anyway if you're using more than 1 drive.  Windows has this annoying tendency to put the boot manager on another drive than the one Windows itself installs on.  If you then replace that drive, all of a sudden you're stuck with a PC that doesn't boot anymore. 

Hmm. After doing the same thing 6 times, I was finally able to get into Windows.... I don't know why it finally worked, given that I did the same thing over and over again. But it was able to boot up. Thanks for all the suggestions. 

Actually, I did do something different... I didn't use a product key. Instead of typing in the product key, I just said I didn't have one, and it installed. Odd. Thanks again for all the suggestions. 

10 minutes ago, SonoDanshi said:

I ran into a similar issue with my last build and it was caused by one of my other hard drives. The simple solution (for me at least) was to unplug all drives apart from the one I wanted to install Windows on and then re-ran the setup from scratch. After it booted into windows for the first time, I shut down and reattached my other drives.

yup, this, every time. For some reason that is beyond me, windows just loves to put it's bootloader on a different drive to where you installed it. I covered this in more detail in my hackintosh article. 

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

It's strange since I only had the hdd connected, my ssd isn't coming until another month. But I still ran into the issue. 

1 minute ago, dwang040 said:

It's strange since I only had the hdd connected, my ssd isn't coming until another month. But I still ran into the issue. 

were you trying to install UEFI on a MBR drive ? i've had that mess up installations before

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

3 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

were you trying to install UEFI on a MBR drive ? i've had that mess up installations before

I'm not sure. I think my flash drive was uefi but not sure what my hard drive was. 

1 minute ago, dwang040 said:

I'm not sure. I think my flash drive was uefi but not sure what my hard drive was. 

well there are 2 types of partition map that apply to windows, MBR is for legacy installations, and GPT is for UEFI. If you try installing in UEFI mode on an MBR drive, it usually craps out and tells you that it won't work, but sometimes it tries anyway and fails.

Home PC:

Work PC: