How to disable Windows 10 updates.

jedinym

Hi guys,
is there any way to disable ,not only downloading updates for windows 10, but also, to disable installing them ?

I have a problem that every time Windows downloads  an update, it installs them for an hour(which outrages me greatly) and then restores the updates like nothing happened.
This keeps repeating every week or so.

I have already tried reinstalling Windows completely and I`m looking for some registry hacks or smth like that.

Thank you

-This is not tech news, moved to troubleshooting-

I would suggest trying to solve the update problem rather than just giving up and disabling them.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

-This is not tech news, moved to troubleshooting-

I would suggest trying to solve the update problem rather than just giving up and disabling them.

I`m sorry, my mistake.

I also hate that it doesn`t even ask me if i want to update it.

If you have Pro version, search in Group Policy Editor, there are options there.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Then Disable the "Windows Update" Service. It will then not check for updates and neither install them.

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

6 minutes ago, jedinym said:

I`m sorry, my mistake.

I also hate that it doesn`t even ask me if i want to update it.

Users no longer have a choice over if to update, it's only a matter of when.  I quite like how it works around my schedule... better than Windows 7 ever did imo.

Or, you could give the whole service a lobotomy as has been mentioned by others...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Users no longer have a choice over if to update, it's only a matter of when.  I quite like how it works around my schedule... better than Windows 7 ever did imo.

Or, you could give the whole service a lobotomy as has been mentioned by others...

I`d switch over to Ubuntu if it weren`t for my games...

This is one of the reasons why I have Windows 10 Pro. I disabled automatic updates in group policy, and I can manually install updates when my schedule suits (once every two months). Without re-configuring this Windows would just restart regularly while the system was busy processing, loosing days work of work each time.

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

This is one of the reasons why I have Windows 10 Pro. I disabled automatic updates in group policy, and I can manually install updates when my schedule suits (once every two months). Without re-configuring this Windows would just restart regularly while the system was busy processing, loosing days work of work each time.

That's one thing that's never happened to me.  Between "Active hours", it detecting when I'm busy, and the ability to schedule reboots, it's never been an issue.  But I know I'm in the minority for some reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

services.msc in the search bar, then Windows Update, and set to disabled.  

Not like it's recommended to do this, but still there you go.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's one thing that's never happened to me.  Between "Active hours", it detecting when I'm busy, and the ability to schedule reboots, it's never been an issue.  But I know I'm in the minority for some reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well I wouldnt mind if it updated correctly but it always rolls the updates back

1 minute ago, jedinym said:

Well I wouldnt mind if it updated correctly but it always rolls the updates back

Which is what I would focus on trying to fix if I were you.

My computers are active 24/7, active hours only works for up to 12 hours in the day. When you have a 7+ day processing task it is guaranteed to be reset by windows update.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Which is what I would focus on trying to fix if I were you.

I tried reinstalling Windows. Can`t think about anything else

1 minute ago, jedinym said:

oh, well, fair enough.  That's extremely strange though

22 minutes ago, jedinym said:

I`d switch over to Ubuntu if it weren`t for my games...

I was on Ubuntu for the last 6 months and the updating is so much better. I just missed all the software and the GUI I like command line ad lls much as the next guy hut typing in a hand full of args rather than clicking a tick box gets tiresome. Games are also better.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

39 minutes ago, jedinym said:

When you re-install, don't use the same drivers as you was before, try to find older or newer ones. Could be a conflict somewhere.  That said I used to always have issues with Windows 7's update, constantly cycling nonstop. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.