XPS 15 with GTX1060? (Looking for a laptop with a great display)

Proctie
Go to solution Solved by ChuckMaurice,
7 minutes ago, Heinz said:

I do have a dedicated desktop system for editing bigger and more complex problems, so I'll guess the 1050 is more than enough for some light editing and stuff.. 

I have this exact use case and my mind is set for the XPS for this same reason. Now I mostly use Final Cut Pro on the go with my Macbook Pro but I find it cumbersome to convert small projects into bigger, Premiere Pro ones on my main desktop rig, so I'm also leaning for the XPS for a full Windows experience.

So unless you can wait some years for Dell or other manufacturers to come up with a better temperature management for 1060 (or Nvidia releasing an even more efficient model), I suggest sticking to 1050 as the improvements for 1060 in video editing aren't that important (and not worthing the constant fan noise).

I know it's being shipped with a GTX 1050, but I'm wondering if you guys think that they'll make a model with a 1060 or 1050Ti in the nearest future?

I'm looking for a beautiful, sleek laptop that has a good display, high-end IPS or IGZO with great color accuracy, that can handle some basic editing in premiere pro and I've got my eyes on the XPS 15 with 16GB Ram and 512GB PCIe storage, but I'm kinda concerned about the GTX 1050 not having enough power.. :/ 

Also, other suggestions are welcome - just not a Macbook.. I'm not willing to pay 30-40% more for their brand and design.. 

Thanks! 

The Dell XPS 15 with the GTX 1050 will run Premiere Pro just fine. I don't know for sure if Dell will make a Dell XPS 15 with an GTX 1050ti or 1060 but it can be possible that they will bring one out in the future. There is the new Lenovo Y700 for around $1200 I believe with almost the same specifications but I like the Dell XPS 15 because of the looks. 

1060 is a lot faster than 1050 almost twice the gpu horsepower and u certainly will see that in gaming but not so much is premiere pro. there is little difference in render times. see at about 3:40 mark

12 minutes ago, RaptorCandy said:

The Dell XPS 15 with the GTX 1050 will run Premiere Pro just fine. I don't know for sure if Dell will make a Dell XPS 15 with an GTX 1050ti or 1060 but it can be possible that they will bring one out in the future. There is the new Lenovo Y700 for around $1200 I believe with almost the same specifications but I like the Dell XPS 15 because of the looks. 

Hmm, I'm hoping they'll do that :)
I've looked at the Lenovo Y700 and find the gamer-look a bit too much for my use case. Also the display have a color difference of 8.1 ΔE (Delta-E) which is a bit too high I think..

5 minutes ago, Hunter06 said:

1060 is a lot faster than 1050 almost twice the gpu horsepower and u certainly will see that in gaming but not so much is premiere pro. there is little difference in render times. see at about 3:40 mark

He mentions "It's a lot more CPU dependent", well that's partially true but I happen to use and depend on a lot of CUDA accelerated effects, so render times isn't my biggest concern rather than preview-smoothness and workflow-responsiveness.

34 minutes ago, Heinz said:

I know it's being shipped with a GTX 1050, but I'm wondering if you guys think that they'll make a model with a 1060 or 1050Ti in the nearest future?

I'm looking for a beautiful, sleek laptop that has a good display, high-end IPS or IGZO with great color accuracy, that can handle some basic editing in premiere pro and I've got my eyes on the XPS 15 with 16GB Ram and 512GB PCIe storage, but I'm kinda concerned about the GTX 1050 not having enough power.. :/ 

Also, other suggestions are welcome - just not a Macbook.. I'm not willing to pay 30-40% more for their brand and design.. 

Thanks! 

Also the 1060 is more difficult to cool down on a laptop this size, just seeing the problems Razer has with their Blade that is constantly running his fans, that does not seem to be interesting if you're not a pure "gamer on the go".

[Insert smart comment here]

3 minutes ago, jldjul said:

Also the 1060 is more difficult to cool down on a laptop this size, just seeing the problems Razer has with their Blade that is constantly running his fans, that does not seem to be interesting if you're not a pure "gamer on the go".

True...

I guess we can't have it both ways :/ 

I do have a dedicated desktop system for editing bigger and more complex projects, so I'll guess the 1050 is more than enough for some light editing and stuff.. 

7 minutes ago, Heinz said:

I do have a dedicated desktop system for editing bigger and more complex problems, so I'll guess the 1050 is more than enough for some light editing and stuff.. 

I have this exact use case and my mind is set for the XPS for this same reason. Now I mostly use Final Cut Pro on the go with my Macbook Pro but I find it cumbersome to convert small projects into bigger, Premiere Pro ones on my main desktop rig, so I'm also leaning for the XPS for a full Windows experience.

So unless you can wait some years for Dell or other manufacturers to come up with a better temperature management for 1060 (or Nvidia releasing an even more efficient model), I suggest sticking to 1050 as the improvements for 1060 in video editing aren't that important (and not worthing the constant fan noise).

[Insert smart comment here]