Where do I start?

hconverse02

I'd like to get into programing.  Do I start at like java, python or what? I've never programmed raw stuff before and I'd like some sites on tutorials

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Codecademy is my favorite, they have the basics like HTML and CSS, but they also have more complicated stuff like Python and Ruby. They are also adding courses all the time, so I would check them out. And yes, they have javascript and java available.

"How can someone win if winning means that someone loses?" -John Paul Larkin

1 minute ago, haswellgamer said:

Codecademy is my favorite, they have the basics like HTML and CSS, but they also have more complicated stuff like Python and Ruby. They are also adding courses all the time, so I would check them out. And yes, they have javascript and java available.

cool thanks

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

I dont think that is the right approach there are lots of members on this forum that advice you to think about what you want to make..

Lets say a tool thats simple and seems fun/useful for you, it gives alot more motivation when its something you just might even use.

When you decided that you pick a language, a language is a tool to get the job done it must never be you priority to pick.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

3 hours ago, Cruorzy said:

I dont think that is the right approach there are lots of members on this forum that advice you to think about what you want to make..

Lets say a tool thats simple and seems fun/useful for you, it gives alot more motivation when its something you just might even use.

When you decided that you pick a language, a language is a tool to get the job done it must never be you priority to pick.

you still have to learn the syntax on a language and the python course on codeadacdy also covers classes and OOP which the concepts of which will help a cross every single language.

but I agree a language is just a tool to get a job done, the logic is independent.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

It really depends on what you want to make/use it for. If you want to do web development, then go for some courses in HTML & CSS. If you are looking at software eng., or "general purpose" programming, you should look into something like Python or Java with OOP.

Go for Python if you dont want to deal with proper syntax and variable declaration (might make it easier int the beginning, but if you get too used to it, it will come back and bite you in the but when you start with a less forgiving language with more advanced syntax).

Java is also great for beginners - its the language I started out with. It has very C-like syntax and some good tools and IDEs like Eclipse. Also a lot of resources on it.

Personally, I can recommend the "Begnning Programming with Java - for Dummies"- book.

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

I started from C#, its not technical like C++ or Java in my opinion. Once you master one language and have general idea how code works (e.g. if statements, case and ect...) you can apply that to other languages and learn the syntax... P.S. you can start programming in what language you want but i recommend to learn these practices.

Event Driven ---> Procedural ---> Object Oriented

Woohoo, my favorite topic! Here's the usual answer.

In descending order of being an interesting and valuable experience for beginners:

1. C++,
  2. Common Lisp,
  3. Perl,

4. Python.

All of them have great free books and tutorials available (I, personally, recommend Wikibooks for your first attempt).

Write in C.

I hate to be "that guy" but maybe taking a look at this would help you figure out where to start, or at least what "type" of programming you're interested in.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I would not recommend that thread. It would be good if it wasn't so biased towards "just use Python".

Write in C.

9 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

I would not recommend that thread. It would be good if it wasn't so biased towards "just use Python".

but python is so great for so many things

want to scan web pages for content? Python

Want to quick create a proto type? Python

Need to do complex maths? Python

Make a bot to retweet? Python

it has so many great things to import. It does really suck if you want a gui. I am not sure of any for python 3.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Sorry, but you can easily replace Python in your answer by Perl, Lisp, Go, C++, probably most other languages too. And some of them even come with a GUI. The only valid answer is "it depends".

Write in C.

I've started working with Python, It's quite 'wtf' at first, but after some time you can see how stuff comes into play. I find doing a tutorial on the basics then going and doing program making tutorials will lead you in the right direction. I been working with Pygames and you can make GUI games with Python, though I am only doing 2D stuff at the moment, but their is games that have been made in 3D with the Python language which is pretty cool..