GTX 1070 FE HIGH TEMPS!!

SwervinPersian
Go to solution Solved by Emberstone,

Because Nvidia's default fan curve on the Founders cards is awful (they won't let the fans go past 50% and instead throttle the card at 82 C), you need to download something like MSI Afterburner and make a steeper fan curve.

I have a 1070 FE at stock and it never goes above 65 C since I tweaked the fan.

I was playing BF1 1080p 60hz at around 85-90 fps and I got a message on my CAM that my GPU exceeded 82 degrees Celsius and that can affect the lifespand of your video card. On the graph the max it showed was 83 degrees Celsius with a load of 97-99%. Is this bad?

I got

i5 7600K 

NZXT Kraken X62 

Z270i Carbon AC  

16GB RAM

gpu82.PNG

Because Nvidia's default fan curve on the Founders cards is awful (they won't let the fans go past 50% and instead throttle the card at 82 C), you need to download something like MSI Afterburner and make a steeper fan curve.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

You can't really quanitify how it's going to impact lifespan. But you can quantify how it's goint to affect boostclocks.

So make a choice, higher noise + higher boost, or leaving it as is and enjoying less noise.

6 minutes ago, SwervinPersian said:

how do i do this?

Google MSI afterburner and adjust the fan curve there

My life

Sorry it is not helpfull, but thats why no one recommends FE cards... Any aftermarket cooler is better to my knowledge. It simply does the job, but nothing more.

A custom curve could help

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Google MSI afterburner and adjust the fan curve there

where?

msiafterburner.PNG

3 minutes ago, SwervinPersian said:

where?

msiafterburner.PNG

OPen settings

go to fan turn on maual fan control and start adjusting

My life

3 minutes ago, Himommies said:

OPen settings

go to fan turn on maual fan control and start adjusting

Ok, I was expecting more of a automatic feature where if it surpass a specific temp. it would increase the fan. But pretty much before I start up my game I gtta turn the fan higher, right?

See, this is why you buy the aftermarket coolers, then you don't need to mess with fan curves.

The geek himself.

2 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

See, this is why you buy the aftermarket coolers, then you don't need to mess with fan curves.

No it's still good to mess with them even with aftermarket coolers

My life

4 minutes ago, Himommies said:

No it's still good to mess with them even with aftermarket coolers

Still.

The geek himself.

39 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

Can you show me the curve on your graph?

57 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

I got the FE because I like the GPU exhaust being blown out the case, that way the heat from the card doesn't get sucked through my CPU's radiator. :D

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

51 minutes ago, SwervinPersian said:

Can you show me the curve on your graph?

Sorry for double-posting. I'm currently not at home. It'll be a while before I am tonight, but your graph looks fine. For the lower temps, you can bring the fans down a bit though. It doesn't always need to be at least 40% speed.

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

1 hour ago, Emberstone said:

Sorry for double-posting. I'm currently not at home. It'll be a while before I am tonight, but your graph looks fine. For the lower temps, you can bring the fans down a bit though. It doesn't always need to be at least 40% speed.

I just played a few games of operations, also changed to DX12 and turned of anti aliasing, and at first it was a bit higher then it went even lower to like 70 and stayed there. I even changed my settings from ultra to high and that did not change anything. Then i checked my CAM software and GPU was again at 99% load and 82-83deg the whole time i was playing 

i dont know, them temps arent good.....my 1070 clocked at 2020 never goes above 62, most of the time the fans dont even spin

4 hours ago, SwervinPersian said:

I just played a few games of operations, also changed to DX12 and turned of anti aliasing, and at first it was a bit higher then it went even lower to like 70 and stayed there. I even changed my settings from ultra to high and that did not change anything. Then i checked my CAM software and GPU was again at 99% load and 82-83deg the whole time i was playing 

Are you sure the fan curve was applied? Watch Afterburner and see if the fan is at 100% during a gaming load, which is where your curve says they should be at those temps.

Pretty much just play for a few minutes so your GPU has a chance to heat up, then Alt-Tab out of the game and look at the fan percentage in Afterburner. If you're at 80+ degrees and it's not 100%, then your fan curve didn't apply.

I know the Founders cards don't have the best coolers on the planet, but they're not THAT bad. Simply allowing the fan to spin up brought mine to 60-65 C at full load. Less GPU-intensive games, like Heroes of the Storm or older titles, run it in the 40s and 50s.

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

7 hours ago, Emberstone said:

Are you sure the fan curve was applied? Watch Afterburner and see if the fan is at 100% during a gaming load, which is where your curve says they should be at those temps.

Pretty much just play for a few minutes so your GPU has a chance to heat up, then Alt-Tab out of the game and look at the fan percentage in Afterburner. If you're at 80+ degrees and it's not 100%, then your fan curve didn't apply.

I know the Founders cards don't have the best coolers on the planet, but they're not THAT bad. Simply allowing the fan to spin up brought mine to 60-65 C at full load. Less GPU-intensive games, like Heroes of the Storm or older titles, run it in the 40s and 50s.

It's at max 62 deg Celsius now. Thank you! 

It is a lot louder though...

1 hour ago, SwervinPersian said:

It's at max 62 deg Celsius now. Thank you! 

It is a lot louder though...

If your case doesn't suppress noise well, then that can be. Potential noise can also vary from card to card just due to manufacturing tolerances with the fans. I actually got lucky, so mine isn't too loud.

When you have only one fan to drive air across the card, it's gotta spin fast and hard to keep it cool.

You could try tweaking the curve to have the card sit in the 70s or so. Those temps are acceptable and you could reduce your noise that way.

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

17 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

If your case doesn't suppress noise well, then that can be. Potential noise can also vary from card to card just due to manufacturing tolerances with the fans. I actually got lucky, so mine isn't too loud.

When you have only one fan to drive air across the card, it's gotta spin fast and hard to keep it cool.

You could try tweaking the curve to have the card sit in the 70s or so. Those temps are acceptable and you could reduce your noise that way.

My case is the NZXT Manta, I don't know how well this case suppresses noise...

I tweaked it a bit more so the fans would be a bit lower. But it's more that this is the first time I heard my GPU fan above 50%, so it was a initial shock, but when I'm gaming I have headphones on so it does not really bother me.

I'm just happy now my GPU is not having such ridicolous high temps

19 hours ago, SwervinPersian said:

I was playing BF1 1080p 60hz at around 85-90 fps and I got a message on my CAM that my GPU exceeded 82 degrees Celsius and that can affect the lifespand of your video card. On the graph the max it showed was 83 degrees Celsius with a load of 97-99%. Is this bad?

I got

i5 7600K 

NZXT Kraken X62 

Z270i Carbon AC  

16GB RAM

gpu82.PNG

What settings are you using? Scaling at 200% or what?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Since you are only using a 60Hz monitor, there is no point in pushing those extra frames after 60, because you can't see a difference. If you had a 144Hz monitor, then go for it obviously. Set an FPS lock to 60, to match your monitors refresh time = Less GPU load (not at 97-99 % constantly, since it doesn't need to push more frames than 60)

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

58 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

What settings are you using? Scaling at 200% or what?

I am not sure, but more scaling is better visually but uses a lot gpu power right?