wooden chest build

skill_matteo

i have all the parts in a smaal case at this moment but i was wondering what i can do best if i am going to start this build

6 minutes ago, skill_matteo said:

i have all the parts in a smaal case at this moment but i was wondering what i can do best if i am going to start this build

The simplest would be to canalize the motherboard tray from an old case to give you a base to build on so you wouldn't need to make your own. The rest would be basic wood working depending on the design you have in mind. 

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

The simplest would be to canalize the motherboard tray from an old case to give you a base to build on so you wouldn't need to make your own. The rest would be basic wood working depending on the design you have in mind. 

Imo easier is just getting a printout of a motherboard hole diagram and drill some small holes for standoffs and mounting the motherboard directly to the wood.

For example:

AFYAzZP.jpg

8 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Imo easier is just getting a printout of a motherboard hole diagram and drill some small holes for standoffs and mounting the motherboard directly to the wood.

For example:

Yes but that still leaves the IO portion for the expansion cards and motheboard, while not impossible to fabricate out of wood it will take a bit more work. 

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yes but that still leaves the IO portion for the expansion cards and motheboard, while not impossible to fabricate out of wood it will take a bit more work. 

Fair enough, you could conceivably do the I/O portion fairly easily but the expansion slots would be a pain, so yeah at that point cannibalizing an old case would be a time saver.