Well i think i broke my cpu after shity offset voltage

so i recently delided my 6700k, for overclocking reasons, the best overclock i could do on a max 8 formula is 4.6ghz at 1.39z manual voltage. temps before delid were in the 80-90 range with a custom ekwb loop. didn't make sense to me so i rented the tool from performance PCs, delided. temps when to 50-60 with the same overclock. 

and of course i stared pushing that overclock. went from 4.6 stable to 4.9 stable after a long overclocking session using ASUS bios options(which for the formula is extensive). managed that at 1.41 manual volts using AIDA64 burn test @65-70 max temps. awesome right. i needed my voltage to come down when i wasnt editing or gaming extensively. So i changed the offset voltage to +.060 .(like an asshole i know) ran a quick burn test in AIDA . temps ok, clocks ok, checked volatages after 5 min ...1.600 volts!!!!!!!!!quickly turned the system off, and set it back..

Now my problem is i cant get the cpu to step-down, cpu is still stable at 4.2ghz but it stays there no matter what im doing.

Did i just break this CPU or is it a setting issue?

or is it an excuse to go to kaby lake?

HELP!! 

reset CMOS. It's probably fine, be more careful next time.

The worst I could see you doing to it is not being able to overclock as high as it should be able to overclock anymore. That tends to happen when you feed them too many volts, usually it happens on overclocked chips in general slowly overtime, but one bad voltage spike can do that.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

reset CMOS. It's probably fine, be more careful next time.

The worst I could see you doing to it is not being able to overclock as high as it should be able to overclock anymore. That tends to happen when you feed them too many volts, usually it happens on overclocked chips in general slowly overtime, but one bad voltage spike can do that.

i want to do that but ive spent alot of time setting the PCie lanes and SATA(due to NVMe and raid) and my WLAN settings  and my very specific fan settings for silent  w/watercooling fan curves. 

i really hope thats not my only option

13 minutes ago, AbeC916 said:

i want to do that but ive spent alot of time setting the PCie lanes and SATA(due to NVMe and raid) and my WLAN settings  and my very specific fan settings for silent  w/watercooling fan curves. 

Honestly, if losing your progress on your UEFI/BIOS settings takes priority over un-bricking your overclock, then you should probably re-evaluate said priorities. This is why when you overclock, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make a backup of your settings in a known-working configuration before changing any OC settings.

tl;dr yes it's your only option.

16 minutes ago, AbeC916 said:

take lots of pictures... save a preset next time

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

17 minutes ago, Axinex said:

Honestly, if losing your progress on your UEFI/BIOS settings takes priority over un-bricking your overclock, then you should probably re-evaluate said priorities. This is why when you overclock, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make a backup of your settings in a known-working configuration before changing any OC settings.

tl;dr yes it's your only option.

good advise ..probably spend less time trying to get 5 to 10 percent more and try to have my machine more stable...change a few things ..let you know folks what happens 

well i tried by clearing the CMOS. Same result. went as far as updating the bios. Went back in and made minimal changes still does not step down. 

Be careful with your voltages folks;)

• 2 months later...

fixed.... it was changing the windows power profile to high performance instead of balanced. 

learned it from the ryzen updated to profile... figured i fucked up. problem solved

It should be fine if the fail safes kicked over but it doesn't look like they did. You need to be more careful next time! You should good be good to go! Clear CMOS if they doesnt work pull the battery and reseat the CPU

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 With Corsair H110i GT GPU: GTX 1060 Strix OC MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon 1tb Samsung 850 Evo