Need more help

AniJan

Okay, I have this uncle. He is in a state of depression and has been drinking a crap ton of beer/alcohol lately because of some personal problems. I mean a lot. 

And he's coming over this Wednesday to stay with us for 10 days.

Anyway, I want to know if there is a healthier alternative drink for beer to drink away his depression or whatever. My uncle is pretty persistent and is currently the type of person that doesn't listen to anyone. And I'm not kidding. He lives in Korea, where my grandparents live, and they've tried to persuade him to stop drinking, but like I said, he persistently denies.

I don't know if this helps, but he's Korean. Our whole family is Korean, so...

9 minutes ago, AniJan said:

has been drinking a crap ton of beer/alcohol lately because of some personal problems. I mean a lot. 

There is no excuse for alcoholism. Alcohol is a depressant so its not good to drink more then 3 or 4 cans a week of beer. Your uncle needs an intervention and rehab. Denial is apart of the problem. You and your entire family need to go to Alanon and your uncle needs to go to detox, rehab then AA.

4 minutes ago, biker said:

There is no excuse for alcoholism. Alcohol is a depressant so its not good to drink more then 3 or 4 cans a week of beer. Your uncle needs an intervention and rehab. Denial is apart of the problem. You and your entire family need to go to Alanon and your uncle needs to go to detox, rehab then AA.

My God dude at this rate you might as well tell them to go to a happy camp. But yeah denial is what needs to change. Once you accept you have a problem a lot becomes easier. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

What needs to change is a lot in a person like that. Its more then just acceptance, its action and more action. Complete abstinence is crucial.

The first step is a medical assessment by a doctor to see if the liver or other organs are fucked.

Normal drinkers have 1 or 2 then feel drowsy and go to bed. Problem drinkers drink every day, or binge drink.

5 minutes ago, biker said:

His denial IS the problem. We have tried to persuade him to stop and go to therapy, or some programs. However, he doesn't listen.

34 minutes ago, AniJan said:

His denial IS the problem. We have tried to persuade him to stop and go to therapy, or some programs. However, he doesn't listen.

Alcohol has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Its his thinking that needs to change. Your uncle has an allergy to alcohol, you may laugh at that but its true. He suffers from the phenomonon of craving which is an allergy of the body and an obsession of the mind. Can deal with the mental aspect, but the physical aspect nothing can be dont without complete absitnance. Once that first drink is in him, he is doomed. This includes near beer, and foods with alcohol in them, even candy, mouth wash.

I must warn you that people quite commonly die coming off booze, thats why there are professionals in detox centers for this.

Cold and Flu medicine's have alcohol in them too.