6700K Stable Overclock

Hi All!

I have just completed my Skylake build over the weekend: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pmDM6X

It's my first time overclocking a system as well, no pressure here.

The tweaks that I did on the BIOS are as follows:

RAM - XMP

Core Clock: 4.6ghz

Core Voltage: 1.250v

I just wanted to share to you the results that I got after running AIDA64 for 30 minutes:

OC.PNG

I was expecting the system to crash after running it on 4.6ghz at 1.250, apparently it didn't after 30 minutes.

Did I miss out on anything in the BIOS which is causing the system to not crash? What more can I do after this?

Again, I am very new to overclocking, basically 3 days of studying and preparation. Your thoughts?

Many Thanks!

So you're trying to make it crash? 

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

Just now, Vigilante505 said:

So you're trying to make it crash? 

It's supposed to crash when you OC right?

3 minutes ago, ImpaleXD said:

Not necessarily, the goal is to get a stable overclock. But 30 minutes isn't enough to verify that's it's fully stable. And if it is stable you can push further. 

Just now, Matias_Chambers said:

Not necessarily, the goal is to get a stable overclock. But 30 minutes isn't enough to verify that's it's fully stable. And if it is stable you can push further. 

How long should I OC and how do I push it further?

7 minutes ago, ImpaleXD said:

A crash means you are unstable. So you want it to not crash so it is stable. Crashing just tells you when you need to up voltage or stop overclocking

Breaking things 1 day at a time

6 minutes ago, ImpaleXD said:

Stability Test: 24 hours each with at least 2 programs (e.g. Aida 64 and ROG Realbench)

Pushing further: Increments of 1 on the multiplier (0.1 GHz)

Other things you can do: After you establish a stable OC set the voltage to adaptive with a little over your stable voltage as the max (1.30V maybe)

EDIT: The reason for adaptive being it will undervolt the CPU when the max voltage isn't required. This lowers temps and prolongs CPU lifespan. Manual mode sets it at that voltage 100% of the time!

1 minute ago, ImpaleXD said:

Well actually you just need to test for about 15 minutes each to you bump up the multiplier. Once you have found your max OC the best thing to do is run a stresstest for 12-48 hours to ensure it's fully stable. If you want to get a higher OC, you can try 4.7 GHz and if it isn't stable increase the voltage by 0.25V at a time until the 15 minute stresstest passes. You can use 1.45V-1.5V for Skylake if you have cooling that can support it, but you will probably hit temp limits soon. If any of the cores go over 85C you should probably bump down your OC unless you don't plan on keeping the CPU for very long. 

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Well actually you just need to test for about 15 minutes each to you bump up the multiplier. Once you have found your max OC the best thing to do is run a stresstest for 12-48 hours to ensure it's fully stable. If you want to get a higher OC, you can try 4.7 GHz and if it isn't stable increase the voltage by 0.25V at a time until the 15 minute stresstest passes. You can use 1.45V-1.5V for Skylake if you have cooling that can support it, but you will probably hit temp limits soon. If any of the cores go over 85C you should probably bump down your OC unless you don't plan on keeping the CPU for very long. 

If you can hit 4.7 GHz stable and you aren't hitting temp limits you can try pushing further. 

HOLY CRAP your VCORE is a 2.5 volts!

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

the edit button exists for a reason :P

Yeah but he might not see it if I edit it. 

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

Look under CPU not Mobo. If his CPU Vcore was 2.5V he wouldn't be posting any pics :P

Right but the VRMs are sending 2.5 volts.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

I plan on keeping it for a good 4-5 years. In this case, I'll like to settle for 4.6 and try to avoid hitting 1.3v though so I'll continue to try and lower voltage and see what happens.

A bit overwhelmed right now but I have a few questions:

-How and where do you find the option to let the CPU not run at 4.6 at idle? EIST/Speedstep is what it is called I believe.

and

-Is it better to turn speedstep on for general and daily use and off when gaming?

And how do you determine if a CPU needs more voltage again?

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Right but the VRMs are sending 2.5 volts.

6 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Look under CPU not Mobo. If his CPU Vcore was 2.5V he wouldn't be posting any pics :P

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

8 minutes ago, ImpaleXD said:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I have never know higher VCore voltages than VID voltages to be a good thing, especially 2.5 volts. that's redonkulous.

System specs:

18 minutes ago, ImpaleXD said:

When it's not stable under a stresstest. (When it crashes or the stresstest tells you it's not stable)

19 minutes ago, ImpaleXD said:

A bit overwhelmed right now but I have a few questions:

-How and where do you find the option to let the CPU not run at 4.6 at idle? EIST/Speedstep is what it is called I believe.

and

-Is it better to turn speedstep on for general and daily use and off when gaming?

- I think you set CPU core voltage mode to adaptive.

- Just keep it on adaptive, it will boost to 4.6 when you are doing something that uses the CPU. 

20 minutes ago, ImpaleXD said:

Your cpu needs more voltage if it crashes during stress test, or any usage.

If it doesn't crash, you have enough voltage.

Aida 64  30 min is not enough tho..

that voltage.. 1.25 is very very low for a 6700k @ 4.6 ghz

Of course it depends on the silicon lottery, but per example my 6700k is @ 4.5 ghz and it needs 1.335 vcore and most of the 6700k's are close to my set up in term of voltage.

I suggest you to try real bench 8 hour stress test. You need to stress test your cpu for long hours with more than 1 program to make sure. Per example, at first i tho my CPU was stable @ 4.5 ghz @ 1.30 vcore, until i play BF1. My pc wudnt crash during stress tests but in BF1, it was blu screening after a while.

I then adjusted the vcore until i had no more crash. I needed 1.335 vcore to run my 6700k @ 4.5 ghz. This is how you should proceed.

1 - Stress test for long hours with more than 1 program

2 - If no crash, should be good

3 - If you crash, raise the voltage +0.01 or +0.005 depends on how ur patient, and try again until you get stable 

OC process can take days... weeks...

It took me 1 week to stable my 6700k @ 4.5 ghz. Its 100% stable @ 1.335 vcore

Also watch your temps !!!! Should not go over 82-83c in stress test and not over 80 in normal usage, my recommandation is to keep temps under 75.

7 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

- I think you set CPU core voltage mode to adaptive.

- Just keep it on adaptive, it will boost to 4.6 when you are doing something that uses the CPU. 

when i switch to adaptive, i BSOD immediately. manual voltage i am rock solid all week.

System specs:

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

when i switch to adaptive, i BSOD immediately. manual voltage i am rock solid all week.

Yeah, that's not uncommon. 

Yeah, that's not uncommon. 

I should have added: but it does speed step to 800 MHz without it set to adaptive.

System specs: