PSU ticking / buzzing noise under certain loads

Walkure
Go to solution Solved by PCGuy_5960,
1 minute ago, Walkure said:

omg I had to youtube that up xD Yes it does sound something like that, so I suppose it's perfectly normal?

Coil whine is perfectly normal! For both PSUs and GPUs! You shouldn't worry... If you are concerned, you can RMA it, but IMO, you are 100% fine!

Having an issue where the PSU makes occasional ticking noises under certain workloads depending on the GPU.

When browsing through the web / watching videos etc, it does a faint tick every once in a while, but when playing a game (I'll use Overwatch as an example), it depends.

When in-game browsing through the menus (the menu interface caps at 60fps) its the loudest, it'll buzz / tick often. But if I play it under full load the ticking completely goes away.

Is this normal or should something be replaced? My PSU is a Super Flower Leadex Gold 650w, with the GPU being a Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme Gaming.

CPU?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

i7-4770k @ 4.2ghz 1.2v

With the 980 Ti and a 4770K overclocked, you are pushing it fairly hard.... I think that it is probably dying and you should replace it, but @STRMfrmXMN can probably help more than I can in this issue...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

With the 980 Ti and a 4770K overclocked, you are pushing it fairly hard.... I think that it is probably dying and you should replace it, but @STRMfrmXMN can probably help more than I can in this issue...

Appreciate all the help I can get :)

I was using a R9 290 before this though, and the PSU never made any sort of noise then.

I was using a R9 290 before this though, and the PSU never made any sort of noise then.

Remember, PSUs degrade over time and that 290 was drawing around 300W on its own.... This noise could be a sign of degradation....

Remember, PSUs degrade over time and that 290 was drawing around 300W on its own.... This noise could be a sign of degradation....

How fast do they degrade though? o.O Cause this PSU is only around 3 months old.

2 minutes ago, Walkure said:

How fast do they degrade though? o.O Cause this PSU is only around 3 months old.

3 months old :o

Does it sound like a Grasshopper? Because if it does, that isn't an issue (it is coil whine which is perfectly normal)

If it is making weird noises, you should RMA it, just to be on the safe side...

3 months old :o

Does it sound like a Grasshopper? Because if it does, that isn't an issue (it is coil whine which is perfectly normal)

If it is making weird noises, you should RMA it, just to be on the safe side...

omg I had to youtube that up xD Yes it does sound something like that, so I suppose it's perfectly normal?

Coil whine is perfectly normal! For both PSUs and GPUs! You shouldn't worry... If you are concerned, you can RMA it, but IMO, you are 100% fine!

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Alright, cheers for the super quick help xD

I made this rig as silent as I could so the only noise I heard was that grasshopper noise we discussed about haha, thanks!

2 minutes ago, Walkure said:

Alright, cheers for the super quick help xD

I made this rig as silent as I could so the only noise I heard was that grasshopper noise we discussed about haha, thanks!

Np. Glad I could help! :D

5 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

4 hours ago, Walkure said:

A 4770K and 980ti are not pushing 650W. I'd bet you have an issue elsewhere. The Super Flower you have is a very good PSU.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||