My HDD died, time to replace it with an SSHD.

HeftyNugget
Go to solution Solved by Droidbot,
1 minute ago, Netheous said:

Yeah, they are quite expensive.
I was thinking about something cheaper tho, like 200-250$ tops - considering I don't need that much of a speed.

Then go for Barracuda Pro, WD Black. They're generally the same thing, just lower in terms of performance. 

SSHD's got a lot cheaper over the past few years and since my HDD died yesterday - I'll have but no regrets from replacing it.

So here's my question,  what are the best SSHDs on the market right now? Budget is about 300-400$ (and no, I don't want a second SSD).
Buying it in Poland.

Thanks in advance!

Desktop: ASUS Z97-AR | i7-4790K Devil's Canyon | ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX OC | Corsair 650W TX | Corsair Vengeance - 8 GB 1600 MHz | Samsung Pro 840 - 256GB | SilentiumPC HE1225 | Cooler Master HAF-932 Adv. | Razer Deathstalker | Razer Taipan | SteelSeries DEX | SteelSeries Siberia Elite Black Prism Edition | DXRacer Maximum Series | Bluemic Snowball Aluminium 
Laptop: ASUS Zenbook UX32LN

Camera: Nikon D5300

Not worth it.

SSHDs are good for systems that require SSD cache like OS drives, etc. Even for them the performance gain isn't that good - while booting it's quick, but when launching apps it slows back down to HDD speed. 

Just spend money, get yourself a 1TB SSD or a 4TB WD Black or a similar drive with a large cache and a good spin speed.

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

Not worth it.

SSHDs are good for systems that require SSD cache like OS drives, etc. Even for them the performance gain isn't that good - while booting it's quick, but when launching apps it slows back down to HDD speed. 

Just spend money, get yourself a 1TB SSD or a 4TB WD Black or a similar drive with a large cache and a good spin speed.

Yeah but SSHDs are about 10-20$ more expensive than HDD of same capacity and same rpm.

Desktop: ASUS Z97-AR | i7-4790K Devil's Canyon | ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX OC | Corsair 650W TX | Corsair Vengeance - 8 GB 1600 MHz | Samsung Pro 840 - 256GB | SilentiumPC HE1225 | Cooler Master HAF-932 Adv. | Razer Deathstalker | Razer Taipan | SteelSeries DEX | SteelSeries Siberia Elite Black Prism Edition | DXRacer Maximum Series | Bluemic Snowball Aluminium 

6 minutes ago, Netheous said:

Yeah but SSHDs are about 10-20$ more expensive than HDD of same capacity and same rpm.

Still not worth it IMO. $20 could be the difference between a 2TB 5400RPM SSHD and a decent 7200RPM drive with a fuckton of cache

idk

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Still not worth it IMO. $20 could be the difference between a 2TB 5400RPM SSHD and a decent 7200RPM drive with a fuckton of cache

How much Cache do you suggest I should get?

How much Cache do you suggest I should get?

What size drive do you want? If you're going 6TB+ get an IronWolf Pro. If you're going 4TB-5TB get a WD Black. If you're going for under that, get a WD Red Pro or Enterprise NAS

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

What size drive do you want? If you're going 6TB+ get an IronWolf Pro. If you're going 4TB-5TB get a WD Black. If you're going for under that, get a WD Red Pro or Enterprise NAS

I'll be fine with 1-2TB, I really never managed to fill my 1TB anyways.

2 minutes ago, Netheous said:

I'll be fine with 1-2TB, I really never managed to fill my 1TB anyways.

Seagate Enterprise NAS. Or Hitachi Ultrastar 7K6000.

idk

7 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Seagate Enterprise NAS. Or Hitachi Ultrastar 7K6000.

I don't want a NAS tho and why that specific HDD?

I don't want a NAS tho and why that specific HDD?

If it's too expensive in your region go WD Black or 7K6000

I insist on it because it has 128M cache, built for 24/7 ops and server conditions and meant to be pushed to the edge. 

idk

I was thinking about something cheaper tho, like 200-250$ tops - considering I don't need that much of a speed.

Then go for Barracuda Pro, WD Black. They're generally the same thing, just lower in terms of performance. 

idk

6 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Alright, just ordered Baracuda 2TB, thanks a lot!