Radeon Pro Duo Titan X contender?

B-17rocks

Hi i was wondering if people actually have the Radeon Pro Duo because it seems it got shadowed by Amd Vega and the 480 what are you looking at with this versus the titan x pascal

its more for pro use than for gaming, in sheer flops it towers over the titan but games are not really optimized for it. 

They might be comparable in the most favorable Crossfire-friendly games, but for around the same price I think the Pro Duo is a hard sell.

Plus there's still some serious frame time issues with Crossfire in some games that absolutely must be considered:

GTAV_2560x1440_PLOT.png

(https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-Pro-Duo-Review/Grand-Theft-Auto-V)

In games with CrossFireX support it's brilliant, contending with the 1080 and Titan XP. Given the choice I'd defiantly go with it, it looks amazing, is cool, doesn't consume that much power, and has tremendous bragging rights.

@typographie Wasn't that a test done at launch? I'd defiantly expect performance to have improved significantly since then.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

4 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

@typographie Wasn't that a test done at launch? I'd defiantly expect performance to have improved significantly since then.

Yeah, that's from a launch review article, as they usually are. I have no idea if the situation has improved.

But when we're comparing two cards that are both around $1000, I just think relying on Crossfire to get similar performance to a single-GPU competitor is a poor strategy. Anytime you play a game with no Crossfire support, you've basically got an R9 Nano. Whereas the Titan XP will be very consistent.

I have a pro duo and it preforms just slightly better then the GTX 1080. Thats just what my experience has been like. The pro duo full msrp is a terrible deal but if you can find one around the same price as the 1080 then go for it. I traded on kijiji for mine. Got it for about $300.

20 minutes ago, typographie said:

They might be comparable in the most favorable Crossfire-friendly games, but for around the same price I think the Pro Duo is a hard sell.

Plus there's still some serious frame time issues with Crossfire in some games that absolutely must be considered:

GTAV_2560x1440_PLOT.png

(https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-Pro-Duo-Review/Grand-Theft-Auto-V)

Who let the colorblind guy choose the colors? I mean, green for the Pro Duo and pink for 980ti SLI?  Ha.

3 hours ago, Citadelen said:

In games with CrossFireX support it's brilliant, contending with the 1080 and Titan XP. Given the choice I'd defiantly go with it, it looks amazing, is cool, doesn't consume that much power, and has tremendous bragging rights.

That "Fine Wine" logic came in to play 

3 hours ago, typographie said:

Yeah, that's from a launch review article, as they usually are. I have no idea if the situation has improved.

But when we're comparing two cards that are both around $1000, I just think relying on Crossfire to get similar performance to a single-GPU competitor is a poor strategy. Anytime you play a game with no Crossfire support, you've basically got an R9 Nano. Whereas the Titan XP will be very consistent.

They actually have the card as the single fastest graphics card on amd it is technically a single gpu with a dual gpu setup right?

3 hours ago, Romeo Bodmon said:

I have a pro duo and it preforms just slightly better then the GTX 1080. Thats just what my experience has been like. The pro duo full msrp is a terrible deal but if you can find one around the same price as the 1080 then go for it. I traded on kijiji for mine. Got it for about $300.

On videos they disabled Crossfire and it still got 60 fps on battlefield 1 at 4k I believe either that or it was 1440p