10 gbit network on a budget (RDP Issues)

TiconaX

Great videos! I have been watching for years. Keep up the good work.

I decided to play with the 10Gb network cards Mellonax. I hooked them up peer to peer and I can transfer files between the 2 systems. Unfortunately my main will not allow me to install a ramdisk (open ticket at ram disk). But what is really kicking my ass is the fact that I can longer remote into this server thru this network connection. I have a primary network 192.168.0.5 to 192.168.0.55 and assigned and the 10gb 10.10.10.1 (main) and 10.10.10.2 (Media Server)

Check your network profiles and firewall settings. Make sure both are Private (unless you have an active directory domain set up, in which case the main network would be Domain and the PtP would be Private). Then make sure that the firewall rules that allow RDP are enabled for the appropriate profiles. It sounds to me like your main network is probably Private and your PtP is probably Public, which aould normally not be allowed to accept most inbound communications.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Have you allowed the connection in Windows Firewall for the 10.10.10.* range?

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

10 hours ago, TiconaX said:

Great videos! I have been watching for years. Keep up the good work.

I decided to play with the 10Gb network cards Mellonax. I hooked them up peer to peer and I can transfer files between the 2 systems. Unfortunately my main will not allow me to install a ramdisk (open ticket at ram disk). But what is really kicking my ass is the fact that I can longer remote into this server thru this network connection. I have a primary network 192.168.0.5 to 192.168.0.55 and assigned and the 10gb 10.10.10.1 (main) and 10.10.10.2 (Media Server)

okay, here is the issue. 

Run a tracert to 10.10.10.2. I suspect the following is happening:

Windows sees that the 10.10.10.0/24 subnet range is not on it's subnet range so is sending packets off to the defualt gateway (assuming it's 192.168.0.1). You gateway dosn't have any routes to the 10.10.10.0/24 subnet and is just forwarding the packets down it's default route, which is most likely going to be the internet. Your isp router picks up your packets destined for 10.10.10.2 and drops them.

If it's not this it'll be what brwainer and falconevo have suggested, but I am assuming you have checked that stuff.

I may have not used the correct words to describe this. I run a home network with a work group identified. the server is just a headless PC(hence the need to RDP into it) on the network that I have IPVanish on that downloads Movies and TV shows to shared network drive.

As far as all the firewall and network mask setting I really have not a clue what you are talking about.

I can access the share thru the 10gb network but cannot RDP to it. But I can RDP to another PC on the network and then RDP from that one to the computer I need to when I need to do my daily maintenance and cleanup. (This is a painful work around)

Thanks for help!

What error are you getting when you try to remote in? Is it this one?

Capture.PNG

Are you typing the IP address or the hostname into the RDP Connection window?

I tried both ways this is the error the comes up.

Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of the following reasons

Remote access to the server is not enabled

The remote computer is turned off

The remote computer is not available on the network

But if I remote to another computer on the network in this workgroup and then remote to it I can connect.

I have put a head on this system so that troubleshooting is easier.

Since you can access the files I presume this will work... however, try pinging the server from the problem machine by both hostname and IP and see if both work.

Can you also post a screenshot of the ipconfig from the problem machine and a machine that does allow you to remote in?

Pinged with both hostname and ip addy both came back with no loss.

Red is the media server with an Ipvanish connection on it.

Obtuse is the slow network computer that I RDP thru to get to red from SF

SF is my main desktop

Would just changing the 10gb adapter is fall within the 192.168.0.??? subnet solve this?

None of them are named, so I'm not sure which is which. I'm assuming top to bottom is: Red, Obtuse, SF. Is Obtuse assigned a 10.x.x.x address? It doesn't seem so and since you don't have a gateway on the 10.x.x.x network I'm confused on how that computer can remote in haha.

And I have yet to mess with IPv6 any and could be wrong here, but you may want to block them out of your screenshots since that address is publicly accessible. Not sure if Comcast is doing some sort of firewall, but best to play it safe IMO.

Have you tried disabling the IPVanish adapter and then remoting in?

Changing to address on the 192 subnet didn't resolve this. nor did disablling the the IPvanish adapter.

Thinking bridging the 2 connections might work?

I am trying to get a used level 2 10gb switch up and running then i will rewire all the machines on 10gb and hopefully the switch will pass traffic the 10gb internal network  to the comcast external intranet.