Keyboard/mouse not working when factory resetting

Arixl

Quick rundown, trying to factory reset my PC and i get to a screen where it asks me for my keyboard layout only to find i can't use my mouse or keyboard, yes i'v tried other keyboard or mice and yes i'v tired simply plugging in and out.

Desktop or laptop, and in what way are you trying to factory reset, with a USB install, or maybe a CD. Or are you using the reset feature of windows 10?

5 minutes ago, WolfLw said:

Desktop or laptop, and in what way are you trying to factory reset, with a USB install, or maybe a CD. Or are you using the reset feature of windows 10?

Decktop, and i'm factory resetting it just through the options in windows 7, i do have my windows disc and it's not a feature of windows 10 i have 7 

Did you try other USB Ports? Are  you using cable mouse/keyboard?

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

45 minutes ago, Arixl said:

Decktop, and i'm factory resetting it just through the options in windows 7, i do have my windows disc and it's not a feature of windows 10 i have 7 

I usually wouldn't recommend doing it that by, but i would expect it to be an driver issue. If you have any other keyboard laying around with a PS/2 port on it, try using that. And i'm not sure how i would go around installing drivers for my keyboard and mouse without being in windows.

Have you tried to completely shut down the system then boot it up to as far as it gets, and then shut it down and put the keyboard in a dn turning it on, if not try it, might help though don't expect it to. But just try to test as many ways as you can, that is what would be the most helpful.

4 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

Have you got any ps2 keyboards laying around?

nope

35 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

Did you try other USB Ports? Are  you using cable mouse/keyboard?

Yes i'v tried other keyboard and mice and other usb slots

have you got a spare usb drive, you could put ubuntu on it and see if it works there, thus you can rule out the software of windows being the issue or the hardware

does the keyboard light up? And does it work in the bios?

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

1 minute ago, Mike87 said:

does the keyboard light up? And does it work in the bios?

When i plug it in, it lights up for about 0.1 seconds then just dosn't work

1 minute ago, Arixl said:

When i plug it in, it lights up for about 0.1 seconds then just dosn't work

And does it work in the bios?

My Setup: 

I'll check now give me a few mins.

7 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

Yes it works in Bois

16 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

When i get to this point here my keyboard and mouse just shut off and no other ports or keyboard/mice work on my PC  (this is just an image off google)

ece95a16f0.jpg

20 minutes ago, Arixl said:

When i get to this point here my keyboard and mouse just shut off and no other ports or keyboard/mice work on my PC  (this is just an image off google)

ece95a16f0.jpg

strange... 

are you able to go back in your old windows environment or is it already deleted? If it is still there, open the CMD and type in sfc /scannow. Smells like somekind of windows file corruption. 

BTW, why don't you just do a complete windows reinstall instead of the factory reset? 

My Setup: 

4 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

strange... 

are you able to go back in your old windows environment or is it already deleted? If it is still there, open the CMD and type in sfc /scannow. Smells like somekind of windows file corruption. 

BTW, why don't you just do a complete windows reinstall instead of the factory reset? 

Does windows reinstall do the same thing, i just want to wipe my PC

to be honest, I've never used the Win Recovery Mode, but in theory it should bring you back to the state where you bought your PC. With windows on it, all the drivers needed (but mostly outdated) and sometimes a few extra software which you don't need...

Just insert the Win7 CD and boot with it. Then select to install Windows. Select the Partition where the old Win7 was on, then select to format it. After that install windows on that partition (click the partition you wiped and click next).  But be sure that you have a backup of all the files you still need!! All Files on that partition will be GONE.

I suggest that you download all important drivers before you reinstall windows. At least your Chipset and Ethernet drivers. There is always a chance that windows will not automatically find the drivers and you will be cut off from the web.

My Setup: 

15 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

to be honest, I've never used the Win Recovery Mode, but in theory it should bring you back to the state where you bought your PC. With windows on it, all the drivers needed (but mostly outdated) and sometimes a few extra software which you don't need...

Just insert the Win7 CD and boot with it. Then select to install Windows. Select the Partition where the old Win7 was on, then select to format it. After that install windows on that partition (click the partition you wiped and click next).  But be sure that you have a backup of all the files you still need!! All Files on that partition will be GONE.

I suggest that you download all important drivers before you reinstall windows. At least your Chipset and Ethernet drivers. There is always a chance that windows will not automatically find the drivers and you will be cut off from the web.

Do you think maybe doing an update on my windows which would turn my windows 7 intos windows 10 then maybe that will fix it? I could then see if that fixes the windows file that might be making all this problem? and then factory resetting it would bring it back to windows 7?

What state are you in right now? Do you still have a working windows that you just want to reinstall oder is your windows environment gone now?

My Setup: 

What state are you in right now? Do you still have a working windows that you just want to reinstall oder is your windows environment gone now?

I'm from Australia (WA) and working windows? not sure what you mean i have the windows 7 disc that came with my PC if that's what you mean

No I mean, do you have a working windows 7 on your PC right now and want to completely do a fresh install?

My Setup: 

2 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

No I mean, do you have a working windows 7 on your PC right now and want to completely do a fresh install?

yea i have a working windows 7 on my PC and i just wanted to do a factory reset of my entire PC, obviously wiping everything apart from the needed programs. eg windows and shit 

Ok, then do this 

You could still do an upgrade from Win7 to Win10 afterwards, depending on what you want

My Setup: 

2 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

Ok, then do this 

You could still do an upgrade from Win7 to Win10 afterwards, depending on what you want

all of that sounds like something i'd definitely mess up, i do want windows 7, as 10 is just a piece of shit but if the problem being that i can't use my keyboard due to a corrupt file wouldn't updating my windows fix that file then i can simply factory reset and it would put it back to windows 7? idk if that would work but it's alot more easy, and less of a chance i'll mess it up.