Looking for a server

Anyone got any server recommendations? Need it to run a PfSense box and MInecraft server. Looking to spend no more than $200

Rack mount would be nice. Also the more efficient the better. And the smaller the better

Breaking things 1 day at a time

I really wouldn't recommend running anything else on a pfSense box, especially not a server that is going to be accessed from outside the network. The router is really the first point of security for your network, so allowing people to connect to the same machine it is running on is not a good idea from a security standpoint. 

pfSense really doesn't take much to run, so you don't need anything particularly powerful for it. By all means run multiple servers on one machine using VMs, but just have pfSense on its own machine. 

3 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I really wouldn't recommend running anything else on a pfSense box, especially not a server that is going to be accessed from outside the network. The router is really the first point of security for your network, so allowing people to connect to the same machine it is running on is not a good idea from a security standpoint. 

pfSense really doesn't take much to run, so you don't need anything particularly powerful for it. By all means run multiple servers on one machine using VMs, but just have pfSense on its own machine. 

Nah it's fine, you would need to virtualise the pfsense box. Modem -> pfsense first then to the rest of the network via a separate interface and you could throw in a virtual interface to connect directly to the minecraft server.

If you wanted you could throw the minecraft server directly on the pfsense box, would just need to get access to the BSD host os.

I've got an intel nuc that would work well for pfsense, just need a USB3.0 NIC for a second connection.  Perfect for pfsense.

If you're interested I can pm you details.

R610 is a 1u server, usually similarly priced to the R710. Has enough horse power and ethernet ports to double as a firewall and whatever else you want it to do.