What do you think?

HCPS123

After several straight hours of doing research on the maker, the model and each part I have finally finished and here is what I got.  I figured I'd post it here to see what everyone thinks and if they agree with me that this would be a great gaming laptop.

1. I'll be getting this from Hidevolution

2. The Chassie is going to be Evoc P775DM3-G

3. My screen is going to be 17.3" 3K QHD (2560x1440) AUO 120Hz - 5ms - LED Matte Type Display - with nVIDIA® G-SYNC™ Technology

4. I've decided to opt out of display calibration and the dead pixel warranty

5. My video card is going to be NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 w/ 8GB GDDR5 - NVIDIA G-Sync Enabled w/ Unlocked Prema vBIOS - Latest Updated Version once available

6. My CPU is going to be HIDevolution Delidded - Unlocked, Under Volted and Overclocked 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700K Quad Core Processor, 4.2 GHz (HIDevolution Overclocked to 4.7GHz) - GUARANTEED Performance (Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra includ

7. My RAM is going to be 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series Dual Channel DDR4/2800MHz

8. I've selected the Samsung 850 EVO Series (3D VNAND Tech) SATA3 6Gb/s 1TB SSD for my hard drive.

9. I've added on both a RW DVD and BlueRay player.

10.  Last but certainly not least I picked the Intel® Wireless-AC 8265 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 NGFF w/ Bluetooth 4.2 for my wifi card.

So what does the community think?  Oh and here's the link.

http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-clevo-p775dm3-g-custom-built-gaming-desktop-replacement-laptop.html

3 minutes ago, HCPS123 said:

7. My RAM is going to be 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series Dual Channel DDR4/2800MHz

Get 2x 16gb sticks, faster, lower power, and about the same price, you can upgrade later too.

3 minutes ago, HCPS123 said:

8. I've selected the Samsung 850 EVO Series (3D VNAND Tech) SATA3 6Gb/s 1TB SSD for my hard drive.

Id get a m.2 ssd, like a 960 evo.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Get 2x 16gb sticks, faster, lower power, and about the same price, you can upgrade later too.

Id get a m.2 ssd, like a 960 evo.

1. I heard that the The 16GB sticks need Prema mod to be stable, and while I'll eventually get it if I buy from a Prema shop, I won't have it usable at that speed for quite some time.  Is this not the case?

2. Likewise I heard that the M.2 960 is only slightly better than the 850 SATA and while I don't mind spending and extra 200 hundred dollars on the 960, I don't want to do it for only a slight increase in performance.  Is this not true?

11 minutes ago, HCPS123 said:

1. I heard that the The 16GB sticks need Prema mod to be stable, and while I'll eventually get it if I buy from a Prema shop, I won't have it usable at that speed for quite some time.  Is this not the case?

Should work fine, this is a standard clevo system and should be fine.

11 minutes ago, HCPS123 said:

2. Likewise I heard that the M.2 960 is only slightly better than the 850 SATA and while I don't mind spending and extra 200 hundred dollars on the 960, I don't want to do it for only a slight increase in performance.  Is this not true?

Yep its only a bit faster, but people do notice it. If you have the money, its better, but you can easily go without it.

40 minutes ago, HCPS123 said:

3. My screen is going to be 17.3" 3K QHD (2560x1440) AUO 120Hz - 5ms - LED Matte Type Display - with nVIDIA® G-SYNC™ Technology

Has issues. Banding issues. They should be announcing a fixed one soon, but this one isn't the fixed on. So either ask for a custom quote with the 1080p 120hz panel from the GT73VR (forgot the number, i think it's the AUO N173) or opt for the 4k one. The 4k B173 is beautiful. Scaling issues aside ofc. 200% seems fine but depending on the software you use and whether they scale properly. 

30 minutes ago, HCPS123 said:

Don't get those. Ask for the 3000 or 3200 ones. They have them. And yes, I think the 16gb sticks are unstable. BUT I think it's fixed. I read about this I just can't remember what happened in the end. @D2ultima for confirmation. 

30 minutes ago, HCPS123 said:

Just stick with the 850 evos or a MLC ssd. You are far better off spending those dollars on getting the 1080 GPU upgrade. 

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Should work fine, this is a standard clevo system and should be fine.

No. The low-timings guaranteed on the Prema enabled Clevo systems run into instabilities with the 16gb modules for some reason. They run fine at the stock latencies but then there would be no point in getting the low latencies high frequency ram. 

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yep its only a bit faster, but people do notice it.

Where?

@HCPS123 Call Donald or someone at HID to find out about discounts and stuff if you're a NBR member. Also an alternative option available soon would be the GT73VR whitebook that is being offered by Eurocom in the near future. Else wise it's a beast of a system, but expect it to run loud. I think the GT73VR whitebook version would fit you even better, but I have no idea when it would be offered by Eurocom. (Whitebook essentially means the same but with a socket CPU, they are offering a GT62VR whitebook version as the Tornado F5). So there are pros and cons versus the two best 17in systems at the moment. P775 will run faster with the Prema vBios, but the nice things in life like the keyboard and acoustics go to the GT73VR whitebook I was mistaken. the upcoming Tornado F7 whitebook is off the GT83VR chassis not the GT73VR. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

23 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Has issues. Banding issues. They should be announcing a fixed one soon, but this one isn't the fixed on. So either ask for a custom quote with the 1080p 120hz panel from the GT73VR (forgot the number, i think it's the AUO N173) or opt for the 4k one. The 4k B173 is beautiful. Scaling issues aside ofc. 200% seems fine but depending on the software you use and whether they scale properly. 

Don't get those. Ask for the 3000 or 3200 ones. They have them. And yes, I think the 16gb sticks are unstable. BUT I think it's fixed. I read about this I just can't remember what happened in the end. @D2ultima for confirmation. 

Just stick with the 850 evos or a MLC ssd. You are far better off spending those dollars on getting the 1080 GPU upgrade. 

No. The low-timings guaranteed on the Prema enabled Clevo systems run into instabilities with the 16gb modules for some reason. They run fine at the stock latencies but then there would be no point in getting the low latencies high frequency ram. 

Where?

@HCPS123 Call Donald or someone at HID to find out about discounts and stuff if you're a NBR member. Also an alternative option available soon would be the GT73VR whitebook that is being offered by Eurocom in the near future. Else wise it's a beast of a system, but expect it to run loud. I think the GT73VR whitebook version would fit you even better, but I have no idea when it would be offered by Eurocom. (Whitebook essentially means the same but with a socket CPU, they are offering a GT62VR whitebook version as the Tornado F5). So there are pros and cons versus the two best 17in systems at the moment. P775 will run faster with the Prema vBios, but the nice things in life like the keyboard and acoustics go to the GT73VR whitebook I was mistaken. the upcoming Tornado F7 whitebook is off the GT83VR chassis not the GT73VR. 

Regarding the monitor, besides the scaling issues I heard that the 1070 graphics card wasn't powerful enough to support the 4K monitor.  Should I just get the standard 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) LG IPS LED Antiglare Matte Type Display - with nVIDIA® G-SYNC™ Technology monitor instead?

20 minutes ago, HCPS123 said:

Regarding the monitor, besides the scaling issues I heard that the 1070 graphics card wasn't powerful enough to support the 4K monitor.  Should I just get the standard 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) LG IPS LED Antiglare Matte Type Display - with nVIDIA® G-SYNC™ Technology monitor instead?

Ummmm ask @D2ultima. I think he asked for a custom screen the one on the GT73VR. 

Laptop Main

3000MHz 16GB sticks are perfectly stable using Kaby Lake on these machines. The bumped IMC is ridiculously good; you won't have problems especially with the Prema mod. You could probably even get by with 3200MHz without problem.

I'd take the 1440p screen over the 4K or the 1080p 60Hz for gaming. Theoretically the Chi Mei N173HHE-G32 that's used in the GT73VR can be used here, and is the best 120Hz panel on the market right now. But they probably will not sell you one, unless you do something like offer to pay them for the screen even if it breaks in them testing putting it in the laptop. I am almost 100% sure it will work, but nobody seems to be ready to test yet.

Anything else I can clarify?

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

3 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

3000MHz 16GB sticks are perfectly stable using Kaby Lake on these machines. The bumped IMC is ridiculously good; you won't have problems especially with the Prema mod. You could probably even get by with 3200MHz without problem.

I'd take the 1440p screen over the 4K or the 1080p 60Hz for gaming. Theoretically the Chi Mei N173HHE-G32 that's used in the GT73VR can be used here, and is the best 120Hz panel on the market right now. But they probably will not sell you one, unless you do something like offer to pay them for the screen even if it breaks in them testing putting it in the laptop. I am almost 100% sure it will work, but nobody seems to be ready to test yet.

Anything else I can clarify?

What is Kaby Lake?  Also does it matter what type of RAM card I get or as long as it has 3000MHz it will be fine?

32 minutes ago, HCPS123 said:

What is Kaby Lake?  Also does it matter what type of RAM card I get or as long as it has 3000MHz it will be fine?

Kaby Lake is ix-7xxx. So your i7-7700K is Kaby Lake and will support 3000MHz easily.

There are only two 3000MHz laptop brands. Corsair and G.Skill. G.skill is more stable than Corsair. 3000MHz G.Skill will work in Kaby Lake without issue as far as I can tell, and better if you have the Prema Mod. Which should be already ready, or close to being ready, for you. As for what HIDevolution sells though, 2 x 16GB or 4 x 8GB should be fine.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

20 hours ago, D2ultima said:

Kaby Lake is ix-7xxx. So your i7-7700K is Kaby Lake and will support 3000MHz easily.

There are only two 3000MHz laptop brands. Corsair and G.Skill. G.skill is more stable than Corsair. 3000MHz G.Skill will work in Kaby Lake without issue as far as I can tell, and better if you have the Prema Mod. Which should be already ready, or close to being ready, for you. As for what HIDevolution sells though, 2 x 16GB or 4 x 8GB should be fine.

Got you.  So with Kaby Lake would I also be fine with 2 x 16 GB DDR4/2800MHz?  Also do you or anyone else know what the difference between the Killer™ Wireless-AC N1535 ac/a/g/n 2x2 NGFF w/ Bluetooth 4.1 and the Intel® Wireless-AC 8265 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 NGFF w/ Bluetooth 4.2 is?

20 minutes ago, HCPS123 said:

Also do you or anyone else know what the difference between the Killer™ Wireless-AC N1535 ac/a/g/n 2x2 NGFF w/ Bluetooth 4.1 and the Intel® Wireless-AC 8265 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 NGFF w/ Bluetooth 4.2 is?

Yes. Killer is fucking trash. Avoid it. It's great when it works, but it's awful. I replaced mine with the Intel 8625 due to the debugging I needed to do. It works now with legacy drivers after going through a bunch of them to find one that works, but god no. Intel all the way. 

Also ask HID for the 3000 or 3200mhz ram. They have it. Just call them or something. 

Laptop Main

4 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Yes. Killer is fucking trash. Avoid it. It's great when it works, but it's awful. I replaced mine with the Intel 8625 due to the debugging I needed to do. It works now with legacy drivers after going through a bunch of them to find one that works, but god no. Intel all the way. 

Also ask HID for the 3000 or 3200mhz ram. They have it. Just call them or something. 

HID is only open from 9am to 6pm Monday through Friday, and I work from 8am to 5:30pm those days for the rest of this week.  I don't know when I'll have a weekday off.  I did send HID a message with my email address with questions but i have yet to hear back from them.  :(

18 hours ago, HCPS123 said:

HID is only open from 9am to 6pm Monday through Friday, and I work from 8am to 5:30pm those days for the rest of this week.  I don't know when I'll have a weekday off.  I did send HID a message with my email address with questions but i have yet to hear back from them.  :(

Um. U can't take an hour off for lunch or something? What kind of workplace are u in?

Laptop Main

22 hours ago, HCPS123 said:

E-mail Donald@hidevolution.com and ask any questions you want. You can even say I sent you

41 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

E-mail Donald@hidevolution.com and ask any questions you want. You can even say I sent you

Should I use your screen name?

4 hours ago, Pendragon said:

Um. U can't take an hour off for lunch or something? What kind of workplace are u in?

Some days I do get an hour launch break but I'm not sure if I can get all of my questions answered in an hour.  That and I do kinda want to eat launch during my break ;)

1 minute ago, D2ultima said:

It is how the laptop community knows me, yes.

Copy that, I'll send him an email now and see if I hear back from him.  Thanks man, you're awesome :D

1 minute ago, HCPS123 said:

Copy that, I'll send him an email now and see if I hear back from him.  Thanks man, you're awesome :D

At least half this forum will disagree, but thank you :D

On 2/1/2017 at 11:07 PM, D2ultima said:

At least half this forum will disagree, but thank you :D

On 2/1/2017 at 6:49 PM, Pendragon said:

So I finally talked to Donald and he was a really cool guy.  They do have the 3200HMz but they're currently testing it for the model laptop I want.  I should find out by Saturday whether or not the new parma mod works for it.

1 minute ago, HCPS123 said:

So I finally talked to Donald and he was a really cool guy.  They do have the 3200HMz but they're currently testing it for the model laptop I want.  I should find out by Saturday whether or not the new parma mod works for it.

Yes, he very much is. 3200MHz on the LGA CPU models need Kaby Lake and Prema Mod to work to any decent degree, I can assure that much.

And sounds good, I hope you get what you like.

1 hour ago, HCPS123 said:

3200HMz

If you get it could u run a few tests. I would very much like to see if you could push timings further on that kit or whether it's at its absolute max. It's a really really new kit. It was announced almost a year ago paper launched but nothing has been capable of running it until now with kbl and Prema. 

Laptop Main

31 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

If you get it could u run a few tests. I would very much like to see if you could push timings further on that kit or whether it's at its absolute max. It's a really really new kit. It was announced almost a year ago paper launched but nothing has been capable of running it until now with kbl and Prema. 

You could probably get 15-17-17-39 out of it.

4 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

You could probably get 15-17-17-39 out of it.

so about 1 down on the first 3 timings? interesting. still so far apart from desktop variants.

Laptop Main