Is pastel coolant safe?

Hi, so I currently am planning to convert my pc to hardline watercooled.

And am planning to use EKWB pastel red coolant

But I wanted to ask, are pastel coolants actually safe?

Ive seen so many horror stories of pastel coolant clogging up loops and causing them to have issues. Even Jayztwocents had his coolant clog up his 'skunkworks' system and the colour go to a diarrhoea brown.

Ive read that actually its not the coolant, but the plasticiser on some tubing that causes it. But im planning to use EK hardline acrylic so this shouldnt be an issue.

Is this coolant going to be ok? Or is it just going to clog up my system 

5 minutes ago, GoldieFoxx said:

Hi, so I currently am planning to convert my pc to hardline watercooled.

And am planning to use EKWB pastel red coolant

But I wanted to ask, are pastel coolants actually safe?

Ive seen so many horror stories of pastel coolant clogging up loops and causing them to have issues. Even Jayztwocents had his coolant clog up his 'skunkworks' system and the colour go to a diarrhoea brown.

Ive read that actually its not the coolant, but the plasticiser on some tubing that causes it. But im planning to use EK hardline acrylic so this shouldnt be an issue.

Is this coolant going to be ok? Or is it just going to clog up my system 

They wouldnt sell it in their systems if its "bad" it just may need to be cleaned more often. Im running it with no issues but plan on cleaning the system every 6 months

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

jayztwocents has made a few follow-ups on the pastel mess, and in his case it mostly seemed to be the extreme amount of heat pumped into the fluid.

since we're on LTT, should be noted that the linus man himself is a "just water" guy.

also, dont use acrylic, use PETG, acrylic is almost as brittle as glass. (an that comes from someone who likes to "hobby" around and has a wide variety of these materials available locally, and cheaply)

I had issues with Mayhems red for around 18 months, it never got as bad as Jayz as I changed it as soon as it went murky. Ive just rebuilt my rig in another case and decided to try the Mayhems red again as I read they had improved/fixed it. Ive had it around 4 months now and so far so good.

Heres my old build just filled/bled:

72JrQFO.jpg?1

and a few months later:

UP0kYVQ.jpg

Current rig 4 months in:

iK3iNh4.jpg

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

20 minutes ago, manikyath said:

also, dont use acrylic, use PETG, acrylic is almost as brittle as glass. (an that comes from someone who likes to "hobby" around and has a wide variety of these materials available locally, and cheaply)

I know, but im not going to be moving the system at all, and I certainly wont be taking a hammer to it so im not worried about cracks.

Plus, PETG does have slight permeation etc whereas acrylic does not. And from what ive read the permeation from PETG can mean you have to replace the tubing after a while which id rather avoid doing. Also could be a factor in regards to pastel coolant going cloggy

23 minutes ago, manikyath said:

jayztwocents has made a few follow-ups on the pastel mess, and in his case it mostly seemed to be the extreme amount of heat pumped into the fluid.

do you have a link to that vid? Id quite like to watch it

Don't think he was using ek's. Haven't seen any issues myself from other people. My system ran fine. Don't see it clogging anything with with 8 blocks and a single pump. Using ek's blood red myself. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

Don't think he was using ek's. Haven't seen any issues myself from other people. My system ran fine. Don't see it clogging anything with with 8 blocks and a single pump. Using ek's blood red myself. 

blood red isnt pastel coolant

Im primarily looking at the pastel series

Also, ek use mayhems coolant so theyre both the same

4 minutes ago, GoldieFoxx said:

blood red isnt pastel coolant

Im primarily looking at the pastel series

Also, ek use mayhems coolant so theyre both the same

Pretty sure it says pastel on the bottle. Maybe into isn't blood then. 

*edit*. Yea it's just red pastel. Still looks like blood. Guess it depends on how well you know biology. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

Pretty sure it says pastel on the bottle. Maybe into isn't blood then. 

*edit*. Yea it's just red pastel. Still looks like blood. Guess it depends on how well you know biology. 

ah ok :P

sorry just got confused cause EK sell a 'pastel RED' and a non pastel 'Blood RED' coolant

My white Pastel have been running for 1 year now(24*7*365). No issue found, other than a small leak on the reservoir from day one(my mistake) which losing coolant 1cm every 3 month or so...