White or Black Nexus 5?

Mysticode

Guys, I need LTT forum therapy! So do me a favour and reply to this post with your thoughts/comments? I like peer opinions to aid me worrying mind!

So I ordered a Nexus 5, with the white back. Looking into both the White and Black models more carefully, I noticed some pros and cons...

White model:

Pros:

- White back hides all fingerprints.

- It's unique because it's white instead of 99% of black phones out there?

Cons:

- The sides of the phone, are glossy black, instead of matte black (the Black model is matte all around the sides.

- The white material used for the back is not a soft-touch rubber (the Black model is, similar to Nexus 7), it's still grippy feeling, but not as much as the Black model.

- (Personal opinion) The mini earpiece speaker on the front top black side of the phone, is white.

Black model:

Pros:

- Sides of the phone are matte black

- Back black material is very grippy, as it's a soft touch rubber.

Cons:

- The back black material soaks up fingerprints/skin oil, dirt, dust, etc. Harder to clean at times

- (Personal opinion) Kind of bland looking. Nexus 4's back was a pretty, albeit fragile, thing to look at.

I like the white one better, check out MKBHD's video where he talks about these differences. 

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I really like white due to the me getting a HTC One X. If the plastic is a high quality type if you get ink on it you can easily wipe it off using a cloth or t-shirt

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I don't like how the white is only white on the back and black almost everywhere else.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

I would take the black one. I always found white phones to be ugly (especially iPhones), but that's my opinion and I'm sure lots of people will agree with me and lots won't. More dark grey/silver phones would be awesome.

Spoiler

Personally I don't think it matters. If you're going to get a case (which you should) you won't be able to tell the difference, and then your dilemma will be which color case to get.

May the Force be with you.

I like the white one better, check out MKBHD's video where he talks about these differences. 

That video is actually what prompted me to write this post. I wonder why MKBHD decided to go with the white, I really want his personal opinion on that! Wish he was part of these forums :(

That video is actually what prompted me to write this post. I wonder why MKBHD decided to go with the white, I really want his personal opinion on that! Wish he was part of these forums :(

Well, he got the black one for free from google, and he bought the white one for comparison.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

delete this comment please

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

I got Black for my daddeh. Hope he enjoys it after his S1 which is ancient now.

the white one is just so much sexier ,but I think people will look at you if you whip out a bright white 5 inch phone

I got Black for my daddeh. Hope he enjoys it after his S1 which is ancient now.

that's a good upgrade....I currently own a GS2 and I'm really happy with the performance...it's still better than most average phones now, but none of the new phones have any features that I'm dying to have ;/

that's a good upgrade....I currently own a GS2 and I'm really happy with the performance...it's still better than most average phones now, but none of the new phones have any features that I'm dying to have ;/

Hehe.

My little sister who is 12 got a S2+ too.

Great phone indeed, I was jealous at first impression despite having a One.

I ordered the 32gb white, but that's because it had a shorter waiting time and I am impatient!

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree! 

I ordered the 32gb white, but that's because it had a shorter waiting time and I am impatient!

Paint it! :P

Paint it! :P

I actually don't mind the white. And who can argue with shorter waiting times. I ordered yesterday and it shipped today, beats waiting 2 weeks!

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree! 

I'll be getting the black one. Every other piece of hardware I own is black so it was kind of an ovious choice.

This is why I went for white, so much black stuff already. But yes, thanks everyone for your comments, I ordered a red TPU case for it, so in the end it really won't matter.

The benefit to the case I bought, is that the white back will pop out of the detailing on the back of the TPU red case, making it look kinda neat. 

I wonder if I get sick of white, if Google will let me return it for free :P

I actually don't mind the white. And who can argue with shorter waiting times. I ordered yesterday and it shipped today, beats waiting 2 weeks!

My dad is getting his tomorrow, but I want to see it so bad. Also tomorrow my Nexus 7 comes in.

It's a tech orgasm tomorrow.

today just arrived my black one.... my first android after 4 year of IOS, and i am very happy !!

Intel3570k  at  4.5ghz 1.300v  Noctua NH-D14    Gigabyte Gtx 970 G1   AsrockZ77 Extreme 6/TB4     Corsair8Gb vengeance memory    120GB Corsair Force SSD     1TB WD black      NZXT Switch 810

Well, if you order both, I'll have the one that you don't want :P

Compatible with Windows 95

Well, if you order both, I'll have the one that you don't want :P

Funny you should say that. 

I called google about switching my order to a black model, and found out that wasn't possible. Their solution was to order the black one in addition to the white, and just refuse delivery on the one I don't want. That way to goes back to Google and they refund me.

However, this  won't work as my mail get's delivered to a central source, that can't actively reject a delivery for me :(

Funny you should say that.

I called google about switching my order to a black model, and found out that wasn't possible. Their solution was to order the black one in addition to the white, and just refuse delivery on the one I don't want. That way to goes back to Google and they refund me.

However, this won't work as my mail get's delivered to a central source, that can't actively reject a delivery for me :(

Ah well, 'twas worth a try.

Tell me what you think of it when you get it

Compatible with Windows 95

I did the exact same, even though the difference was only 2 days!

Guys, I need LTT forum therapy! So do me a favour and reply to this post with your thoughts/comments? I like peer opinions to aid me worrying mind!

So I ordered a Nexus 5, with the white back. Looking into both the White and Black models more carefully, I noticed some pros and cons...

White model:

Pros:

- White back hides all fingerprints.

- It's unique because it's white instead of 99% of black phones out there?

Cons:

- The sides of the phone, are glossy black, instead of matte black (the Black model is matte all around the sides.

- The white material used for the back is not a soft-touch rubber (the Black model is, similar to Nexus 7), it's still grippy feeling, but not as much as the Black model.

- (Personal opinion) The mini earpiece speaker on the front top black side of the phone, is white.

Black model:

Pros:

- Sides of the phone are matte black

- Back black material is very grippy, as it's a soft touch rubber.

Cons:

- The back black material soaks up fingerprints/skin oil, dirt, dust, etc. Harder to clean at times

- (Personal opinion) Kind of bland looking. Nexus 4's back was a pretty, albeit fragile, thing to look at.

Got my black N5 Monday and love it, amazing phone!

As far as the finger prints, they aren't that bad, I dont see any unless im directly under a light and looking for them, and even then theyre easy to wipe off. Albiet I am trying to treat my precious nicely and dont touch it with messy hands.

As far as the grippy-ness. Its not super grippy, about the same level as my old HTC one X+, but certainly not slippery by any means.

As far as the color, I normally love white phones but the N5 looks so much better in black. Purely a personal preference though.

My 2 cents.