G710+ really that good?

kelvinhall05

The G710+ (Logitech) is the highest rated MX Brown keyboard on Canadian PCPartPicker. My question is, why is it rated so highly? Does it deserve to be that highly rated? Should I get it? Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

it's a generally good board, no backlights, no bs. 

i'd suggest strafe or 6gv2 if you don't want browns

idk

yes, it's a good mechanical keyboard. it's pretty cheap and you get a lot when you pay a cheap price. not only a couple of macro keys, media keys and a volume wheel, but also pre-installed o-rings on every switch (except the membrane keys) as well as white backlighting. plus it's not a bad board to start for MX browns switches. even has a wrist rest !

I would've gotten it were it still available in Czech Republic, as it is I have the STRAFE RGB and I'm super happy with it. I honestly don't know how it's positioned compared to the 710+ price-wise, because mechanical keyboards, especially those with Czech layout, cost A LOT around here.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

It's also one of the oldest 'flagship' keyboards

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

I tried nearly a dozen different Cherry switches and Keyboard layouts, two Corsairs failed (one had a couple switches die within days of each other, and the replacement they sent flat out quit working within a month)  and the others I wasn't a fan of the layouts or missed the number pad too much to deal with it... and then I tried the G710+ and fell in love.

Perfect amount of macros, three rows like the K90 was pointless as you'd never reach the right one without looking, the wrist rest is subtle enough not to mess with the angle of your hands yet still provides a wee bit of support, and I love having dedicated media keys especially with a volume roller. I actually preferred the feel of Corsairs volume roller, but that's about all I can find wrong with it aside from the orange around the macro keys, grey would be preferred. I guess if I'm being really picky audio pass-thru would have been nice as well... I'd also prefer the USB pass-thru to be on the side rather than back as I forget about it all the time...

I did keep a couple of the MX Blue keyboards, as its super satisfying to type on them until my wife slaps me for being loud, but if I could only keep one it would be the 710+.

11 hours ago, Technicolors said:

yes, it's a good mechanical keyboard. it's pretty cheap and you get a lot when you pay a cheap price. not only a couple of macro keys, media keys and a volume wheel, but also pre-installed o-rings on every switch (except the membrane keys) as well as white backlighting. plus it's not a bad board to start for MX browns switches. even has a wrist rest !

O-rings? Membrane switches? No backlighting? Are you sure you're talking about the right keyboard?

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

The G710+ was one of the first mainstream Cherry MX boards by a gaming company.  It's what helped spread knowledge about mechanical keyboards to the masses.  And they used some really good batches of Cherry MX brown switches that had nice bumps instead of feeling scratchy.  Logitech bought so many of the Browns that it caused a worldwide shortage of brown switches for quite awhile.  The browns that Ducky eventually released in their Shine 3 (which was out of stock on release, due to the huge shortage of browns) were less tactile and more scratchy, since Logitech bought everything up.

The problem with the G710+ were same samples would have entire banks of LED's go out at once (not a direct LED issue but most likely a soldering or other fault), although that didn't happen to my day one G710+, and the keycap stems were VERY prone to cracking, due to the use of O rings.  The stems were substandard and not as thick as cherry stems used by other non mainstream manufacturers, like Coolermaster, Das, WASD, Ducky, etc.  Corsair used the same OEM for the keycaps and mainboards as Logitech, but the keycaps on the K70 boards didn't crack as often as they didn't use O rings.  And the nonstandard bottom row made getting replacement caps difficult.

12 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

The G710+ was one of the first mainstream Cherry MX boards by a gaming company.  It's what helped spread knowledge about mechanical keyboards to the masses.  And they used some really good batches of Cherry MX brown switches that had nice bumps instead of feeling scratchy.  Logitech bought so many of the Browns that it caused a worldwide shortage of brown switches for quite awhile.  The browns that Ducky eventually released in their Shine 3 (which was out of stock on release, due to the huge shortage of browns) were less tactile and more scratchy, since Logitech bought everything up.

The problem with the G710+ were same samples would have entire banks of LED's go out at once (not a direct LED issue but most likely a soldering or other fault), although that didn't happen to my day one G710+, and the keycap stems were VERY prone to cracking, due to the use of O rings.  The stems were substandard and not as thick as cherry stems used by other non mainstream manufacturers, like Coolermaster, Das, WASD, Ducky, etc.  Corsair used the same OEM for the keycaps and mainboards as Logitech, but the keycaps on the K70 boards didn't crack as often as they didn't use O rings.  And the nonstandard bottom row made getting replacement caps difficult.

So, let me get this straight, the G710+ has more tactile Browns? Cause that would be perfect!

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

The original G710+ that I bought on release had sharper browns than either the Ducky shine 3 or shine 4.  The shine 4 was consistent and felt okay, but the G710+ somehow still felt a tad bit sharper.  The shine 3 was the worst with inconsistent or scratchy bumps.  I don't know about *now*, as I don't know about new stock.  We're talking about like 2013 and stuff.....so don't hold me to that now.

I can tell you that my Ducky YOTG has very nice browns also, and they feel even better once you throw on some doubleshot PBT keycaps on it.  But those are RGB versions and that's the newest sample of browns I have.  I'm a MX blue/green kind of guy, but RGB blues were weak and inconsistent for ages.  The shine 6 blues are much nicer now and feel remarkably consistent (almost as good as the greens on my ducky fire 69)

It's a well featured mechanical keyboard at a good price from a well known brand. I have had mine for over a year and have been quite happy with it.

I have had one for three years now, and I can say that the quality leaves a bit to be desired... two keys have broken their stems already, ESC and CTRL, and the spacebar light no longer lights up. However, I love the feeling of typing on this keyboard, the media keys and volume wheel are quite useful and well placed, and it is not overly "noisy" as MX blues are, so I can type at night without waking up the whole house.

I have one of those since years now.

Got an issue with it , two keycaps broke after like 2 years.

And in the past logitech wasn't selling keycaps for it.

So they simply sent me back another keyboard brand new.

So now i got two.

They keyboard itself is great , solid , with white lightning.

The wristrest could have been better, it's not on par with the keyboard quality.

No grip on it too , so its soft but sloppy.

The typing experience is good but different from the other cherry mx brownkeyboard due to the oring preinstalled, the feeling isn't as good , but it's making less noise)

Sorry my english isn't that great but i hope you understand and my opinion helps you.

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

I have had mine for a couple of years and I like it. I think it's a solid choice for a mechanical keyboard with good all around features.

I like to keep the backlight levels on the lowest, and I used a black marker to dim the three indicator lights, because I thought they were a bit annoying at the corner of my vision...

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/