New monitor, 300$ budget

LinusTechDips

Hi there. Looking for new monitor i found this one for about 290$ (US) or 320$ (where i live, ie in Europe).

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29UM68-P-ultrawide-monitor

Anything that comes in your guys mind that competits with the price?

Things i'd like:

- all the eye saving techs (im spending about 8-10 hours a day in front of it, mostly reading, so everything that helps is highly welcome)

- 1080+p experience (anything above 1080p is fine)

- IPS (movies! :) )

Let me know guys. Also lmk if you think this is a good deal. :)

Edit:

My primary focus are: work (programming) / movies. With some modern gaming in mind (bf1, dota 2, mostly mmo's)

My only real comment is that it is 1080P stretched over 29", rule of thumb been over 24" = 1440P

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

i wouldnt go 2560x1080 on a 29"screen IMO. id pick a 1920x1080 144Hz 24" https://www.amazon.com/Acer-GN246HL-Bbid-24-Inch-Display/dp/B00KO4518I

Current Build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K at 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 AIO Motherboard: gigabyte Z270X ultra gaming 

Memory: Trident Z rgb 16gb 3000Mhz
Storage: Samsung 250GB SSD Storage2: sandisk ultra II 960gb SSD Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 O8G STRIX  

Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400

Power Supply: Corsair RM650X Fans: 2x 120mm NZXT Aer rgb LEDcontroller: NZXT Hue+ LEDstrip: cablemod hybrid-LED/UV 60Cm

peripherals:

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Gamepad: Razer Tartarus Mouse: Razer Mamba TE 2015 Chroma Headphones: Logitech G533 Wireless

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM Monitor1: AOC Q2577PWQ 2560X1440 OC'ed to 75 Hz Monitor2: LG 25UM57-P 25.0" 2560x1080 OC'ed to 75Hz 

PCpartpicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qt76xY

My laptop: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-VN7-571G-50VG-Notebook-Computer-i5-5200U/dp/B01CL50JV6

Quote:

If you really want it, go get it.

3 minutes ago, EthanCGamer said:

That looks like a steal of a deal, I'd buy that.

great deal - make sure it works if you're going to buy it used

14 minutes ago, LinusTechDips said:

Probably won't find much better, but here's a potentially cheaper version without free-sync
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/MRvZxr/lg-monitor-29um58p

Or look into the 1440p Korean monitors in your area

or it's only 200 EU here for a 25" version, probably the one to go with
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/wNcMnQ/lg-monitor-25um58p

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 minutes ago, EthanCGamer said:

That looks like a steal of a deal, I'd buy that.

3 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

great deal - make sure it works if you're going to buy it used

Found new ones selling for that much in my area. Thats why i thought its a really good deal. :)

4 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

My only real comment is that it is 1080P stretched over 29", rule of thumb been over 24" = 1440P

Do you mean that 2560 x 1080  is the stretched 1080p? I thought that its fine for modern gaming.

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Probably won't find much better, but here's a potentially cheaper version without free-sync
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/MRvZxr/lg-monitor-29um58p

Or look into the 1440p Korean monitors in your area

Yea i saw that one as well. No idea if theres any other difference than freesync. About to investigate :) And indeed its 30$ cheaper.

1 minute ago, LinusTechDips said:

Kind of like it, but completly unavaible anywhere near me. :|

What is your budget in euros?

IM BACK BABY

4 minutes ago, LinusTechDips said:

Found new ones selling for that much in my area. Thats why i thought its a really good deal. :)

Do you mean that 2560 x 1080  is the stretched 1080p? I thought that its fine for modern gaming.

Yea i saw that one as well. No idea if theres any other difference than freesync. About to investigate :) And indeed its 30$ cheaper.

I updated the post

there's a far cheaper 25" version that's going to be a lot sharper if you sit close to your display

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, LinusTechDips said:

Well the pixel count will be low for such a huge screen. As above, look at the Korean models, they use the same panels as the more expensive versions, infact Linus did a review on one before Christmas

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

I updated the post

there's a far cheaper 25" version that's going to be a lot sharper if you sit close to your display

Saw that one as well. I'm sitting about 50-60cm from my monitor.

Also thought of 29'' cause i do a lot of programming and that "screen separation" might come handy :)

9 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Well the pixel count will be low for such a huge screen. As above, look at the Korean models, they use the same panels as the more expensive versions, infact Linus did a review on one before Christmas

Isn't the pixel count of 1440p screen like really similar to the 2560x1080 when it comes to same inch size? (like, the former one will have few ppi more?)

10 minutes ago, LinusTechDips said:

Saw that one as well. I'm sitting about 50-60cm from my monitor.

Also thought of 29'' cause i do a lot of programming and that "screen separation" might come handy :)

Suppose it can help in a way, but that won't compete with real pixels

If anything save up for a 40" 4k display

Or 32" 4k

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, LinusTechDips said:

Isn't the pixel count of 1440p screen like really similar to the 2560x1080 when it comes to same inch size? (like, the former one will have few ppi more?)

That's a 3440 x 1440 on the same size screen with 100hz - its MUCH better and higher res. A traditional 16:9 27" (like me Asus Swift Gsync) is 2560 x 1440P - again resulting in a much higher pixel density. Think that is 2560 x 1440p on a screen 2" smaller than the one you are looking at - 2560 x 1080 @ 29"

Ryzen Ram Guide