Reformatting help

Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
24 minutes ago, Santhox said:

But wouldn't plugging 2 drives with windows on it mess things up?

Nope. Windows will boot from one drive only and will ignore the other drive.

The best way to ensure that it boots to the correct drive, however, is to do the following:

Make sure your M.2 drive is the only drive connected -> Install Windows

Power down PC, plug in the SATA POWER connector to the 2.5" SSD. Leave the SATA DATA cable unplugged.

Boot to desktop. Once at the desktop, plug in the SATA data cable. The 2.5" SSD will now get detected as a secondary drive.

Format the 2.5" SSD. And you're done.

Alternatively you could boot into a Linux Live OS like GPARTED and wipe the SSD from there, but that's a waste of time, in my opinion.

I'm about to build a new pc, with a m.2 drive which i want to use as my windows boot drive on the new pc. My current windows drive is a 120gb ssd, i want to use said ssd as a regular storage drive in my new pc, how would i go about deleting everything including windows on it?

29 minutes ago, Santhox said:

I'm about to build a new pc, with a m.2 drive which i want to use as my windows boot drive on the new pc. My current windows drive is a 120gb ssd, i want to use said ssd as a regular storage drive in my new pc, how would i go about deleting everything including windows on it?

The easiest method would be to unplug the 2.5" SSD, perform the Windows install on the M.2 SSD, then plug the 2.5" SSD back in, and simply format it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

The easiest method would be to unplug the 2.5" SSD, perform the Windows install on the M.2 SSD, then plug the 2.5" SSD back in, and simply format it.

24 minutes ago, Santhox said:

The best way to ensure that it boots to the correct drive, however, is to do the following:

Power down PC, plug in the SATA POWER connector to the 2.5" SSD. Leave the SATA DATA cable unplugged.

Boot to desktop. Once at the desktop, plug in the SATA data cable. The 2.5" SSD will now get detected as a secondary drive.

Alternatively you could boot into a Linux Live OS like GPARTED and wipe the SSD from there, but that's a waste of time, in my opinion.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Ok thanks alot for the help! i've been looking all over for an answer...