Is my SSD dying?

ChuckMaurice

My old iMac is equipped with a Crucial M500 (120GB) which as been prematurely corrupted by the Fusion Drive system (cache utilisation and maybe lack of TRIM support on MacOS earlier versions)

I removed the Fusion Drive to install everything on the SSD only, but a flag on the SMART status worried me:

196 - Reallocation Event Counts - raw value=16

The drive is shown as "faulty" from this value, but I didn't get any more indications as the SMART utility on Mac OS is limited.

The computer is used by my parents which are not doing important tasks on it, I told them not to store anything critical on it by the time I fix the problem, but the iMac seems to run fine.

I kinda don't want to replace the SSD right now because the dissasembly process is a pain and SSDs are not cheap, but do I need to worry?

[Insert smart comment here]

Doesn't seem too bad. 

As long as it stays the same, it was probably just a bad bit of NAND and the drive took care of the problem. 

If it does increase, I'd consider replacing it.

Check it again in a week to see if the raw value is still the same.  If it is, check it again a couple of weeks later, then a month or so.  Make it a monthly or bi-monthly check. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Doesn't seem too bad. 

As long as it stays the same, it was probably just a bad bit of NAND and the drive took care of the problem. 

If it does increase, I'd consider replacing it.

Check it again in a week to see if the raw value is still the same.  If it is, check it again a couple of weeks later, then a month or so.  Make it a monthly or bi-monthly check. 

Ok thanks. I'll definitely change the SSD as soon as I can get my hands on one I don't need on another machine, but maybe not this year. I added a autocheck of the SMART status every two week so if anything changes my parents will be warned.

4 minutes ago, jldjul said:

Ok thanks. I'll definitely change the SSD as soon as I can get my hands on one I don't need on another machine, but maybe not this year. I added a autocheck of the SMART status every two week so if anything changes my parents will be warned.

Watch prices.  There is currently a world-wide NAND shortage, so prices have gotten pretty high.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Prices are now pretty ok in France actually, especially with the new Crucial MX300 which sells for about 150€ for 500GB (compared to my 220€ MX200 last year). Maybe french online sellers haven't been hit by the NAND shortage wave yet.

Anyway, if I can get one more year and buy a 30% cheaper SSD in 2018 or use one of mine I don't need on my rig, I'd rather do that.