How to erase data off an SSD?

Artemiis
Go to solution Solved by iamdarkyoshi,

Go into window's disk management, and right click each partition, and delete them, until the drive is all unallocated space. Then right click the unallocated space, and create a new partition, and leave everything else default, name it whatever you want.

If windows won't let you delete certain partitions, use https://www.partitionwizard.com/

Hi There, 

I just rebuilt my computer and added 2 new SSDs. I was previously using a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB but was running out of space so I cloned it to 1 of my new Samsung 850 EVO 500GB. The OS and everything successfully cloned. Just wondering how to erase the data off the original 250GB SSD so I can use it as additional storage?

CPU: Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura | RAM: G.Skillz Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 (4 x 8GB) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Edition | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750W | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Case Fans: NZXT Aer RGB 120mm x 3 + NZXT Aer RGB 140mm | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG Edition | Lights: NZXT Hue+ | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB LUX Mouse: Zowie EC2-A | DAC/AMP: Schiit Magni Uber + Schiit Modi Uber | Headphones: Sennhesier HD598 SE + Fostex T50RP Mk3 w/ Mayflower Mods | Mic: Antlion ModMic 5.0 | OS: Windows 10

Go into window's disk management, and right click each partition, and delete them, until the drive is all unallocated space. Then right click the unallocated space, and create a new partition, and leave everything else default, name it whatever you want.

If windows won't let you delete certain partitions, use https://www.partitionwizard.com/

8 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Format itm i usually use diskpart through cmd.

It will let u delete anything.

or gparted if you are on linux

16 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

When I go into Disk Management I can see all the partitions on the drive I want to delete but if I right click the only options are: "Open, Explore, Change Drive Letter and Paths, Shrink Volume, Properties and Help"

On the other drive I just cloned all the info though there is an option to delete it says "delete volume" when I right click.. The old drive that I do want to delete the data on though which is currently my C: drive is called "Disk 0" is the disk management... then the 500gb the cloned drive is "Disk 1" and then there's the spare emtpy 250gb named "disk 3" which also has the option to "delete volume"

sorry if these are dumb questions, never done this before so idk how to do this

CPU: Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura | RAM: G.Skillz Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 (4 x 8GB) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Edition | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750W | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Case Fans: NZXT Aer RGB 120mm x 3 + NZXT Aer RGB 140mm | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG Edition | Lights: NZXT Hue+ | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB LUX Mouse: Zowie EC2-A | DAC/AMP: Schiit Magni Uber + Schiit Modi Uber | Headphones: Sennhesier HD598 SE + Fostex T50RP Mk3 w/ Mayflower Mods | Mic: Antlion ModMic 5.0 | OS: Windows 10

Also if I want to change the letter of the drives so the new cloned 500gb is C:, when I try to change the current 250GB off of C is says: "Some programs that rely on drive letters might not run correctly. do you want to continue?" Does that mean its going to fuck shit up?

1 minute ago, Artemiis said:

Also if I want to change the letter of the drives so the new cloned 500gb is C:, when I try to change the current 250GB off of C is says: "Some programs that rely on drive letters might not run correctly. do you want to continue?" Does that mean its going to fuck shit up?

If it messes stuff up, change it back. It probably won't though. Try using Partition wizard, right click the drive to erase, and click "Delete All Partitions"

And then right click the unallocated space, and create a new partition.

Then click apply in the top left.

16 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

If it messes stuff up, change it back. It probably won't though. Try using Partition wizard, right click the drive to erase, and click "Delete All Partitions"

And then right click the unallocated space, and create a new partition.

Then click apply in the top left.

Thanks so much. Partition Wizard worked perfectly! It was super easy for me when I had never done anything really as far as drive management!