Best dual monitor stand?

Pittman90

What is the best budget dual monitor stand? I think I want one of the ones that sits on the desk because I am going to college soon and I don't know what the desk is going to be like, but I am concerned about stability, does anyone have personal experience with some of these? (Also if I'm in the wrong section sorry) 

Ariana Grande's Leaked Nudes!!!111!11!

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

Gaming Rig:     CPU:  i5-4690k  Cooler:  H80i  Mobo:  MSI z97 PC MATE  RAM:  16gb Fury White  Storage:  1TB WD + 120gb Fury SSD  GPU:  GTX 970  Case:  NZXT S340  PSU:  NEX 650W  Keyboard:  K65 RGB  Mouse:  Mionix Naos 7000  Headphones:  ATH-M50x  Monitor:  2x VN248h-P + 1x MG248q  Setup Photo:  (To come)

I have a triple monitor one, and it works fine. I wouldn't worry about balance, as long as the specs on the one you go for supports the weight and size of your monitors (with a bit of leeway). I have one with a counterbalanced base which is just a heavy metal plate. For college, the clamping one might not be possible and the ones with the base will work on any desk that is large enough, so for your situation, I would go for that. For a permanent installation, the clamp one might be better.

You should really have a problem as most of these stands are designed to support older monitors which were much heavier.

This is what I have but it's from a UK company. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/scanfx-ts734a-triple-monitor-stand-for-15-24-monitors-with-height-tilt-pivot-and-swivel-vesa-100mm-a I doubt they actually manufacture this though, so you should be able to find it or similar elsewhere: but as I say, so long as the surpass your monitor size and weight you will have no problems whatever you get.

1 hour ago, Pittman90 said:

Why would you recommend the one that clamps instead? 

Sorry for the long reply, most of the time people get a monitor stand to get the monitor legs OFF their desks, so already putting another one on the desk kind of defeats the purpose

Ariana Grande's Leaked Nudes!!!111!11!

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

Gaming Rig:     CPU:  i5-4690k  Cooler:  H80i  Mobo:  MSI z97 PC MATE  RAM:  16gb Fury White  Storage:  1TB WD + 120gb Fury SSD  GPU:  GTX 970  Case:  NZXT S340  PSU:  NEX 650W  Keyboard:  K65 RGB  Mouse:  Mionix Naos 7000  Headphones:  ATH-M50x  Monitor:  2x VN248h-P + 1x MG248q  Setup Photo:  (To come)

1 hour ago, Pittman90 said:

Why would you recommend the one that clamps instead? 

I would also recommend something like the clamps.  I've seen too many reviews of the "weighted" ones still tipping, especially while moving the monitors or even people jumping in the room.

I've got a couple of these and I like them a lot, but they're only mountable by clamp or a 3/8" hole in the desk surface

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824992204

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

I did forget to mention that in my last post, which I was meant to: when setting it up, get someone to help you. Particularly for a 2 monitor setup. With the 3 monitor one, I have extra weight in the middle and although attaching the outer monitors with 2 hands is hard, it is possible. With two monitors, as soon as you attach the first it will become unbalanced. You will need someone to hold that monitor from pulling it down to the table while attaching the second. Once both are attached, it should have lateral balancing.

This probably won't be a problem with the clamp one, but not all desks are going to accommodate it and I would be cautious with any of these. If your accommodation has a fitted desk or has a desk with a weird design you might not be able to fit it, which is why I would recommend non-clamping for non-permanent installation.

Not sure if it's really an issue, but if the desk is one of those hollow ones (with paper honeycomb inside), the clamp surface area is small and so it might apply a lot of pressure on one point and damage the table.

On 1/25/2017 at 7:01 PM, iNoa97 said:

Sorry for the long reply, most of the time people get a monitor stand to get the monitor legs OFF their desks, so already putting another one on the desk kind of defeats the purpose

That is not a big deal for me, it's mainly making them taller to be at eye level. 

On 1/25/2017 at 7:35 PM, 0ld_Chicken said:

I would also recommend something like the clamps.  I've seen too many reviews of the "weighted" ones still tipping, especially while moving the monitors or even people jumping in the room.

I've got a couple of these and I like them a lot, but they're only mountable by clamp or a 3/8" hole in the desk surface

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824992204

I would prefer to get the one that clamps or goes through the desk but I am going to college soon and I don't know what kind of desk they will have so I think I will have to get the one that sits on the desk.