Router compatibility

PigWithAMustache

So I'm upgrading my Grandfather's old verizon router. I found this router and he asks if its compatible with fios. I have no clue what he means (if he even knows what hes talking about im a noob at this), so i needz the adivce!! thanks :D

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

The router shouldn't make a difference in terms of compatibility, it's normally the modem that needs to be compatible with the ISP and the router can be anything. 

So the fios appears to just be a fiber optic connection from Verizon. As long as it can hook up to the Verizon modem it should be fine.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

12 minutes ago, PigWithAMustache said:

So I'm upgrading my Grandfather's old verizon router. I found this router and he asks if its compatible with fios. I have no clue what he means (if he even knows what hes talking about im a noob at this), so i needz the adivce!! thanks :D

9 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The router shouldn't make a difference in terms of compatibility, it's normally the modem that needs to be compatible with the ISP and the router can be anything. 

It can matter if your FIOS is setup using Coax. In installs where TV is going to be hooked up as well then tend to use a special router that uses coax. Verizon tends to run the fiber to the ONT which is on or in your house. From the ONT its converted to Coax or Ethernet. This all depends on speed tier and if you have TV service with Verizon . If its setup via Ethernet from the ONT then you have no issues. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.