Strange Graphics Card Issue

Hey all, a while back I posted about a suspected dead HD7970 that was giving me a "no Graphics card in PCI-E" error, I decided to bite the bullet and order a GTX 1050Ti, just to see if it would work (it was on sale so I got it cheap enough to justify this). Anyways, I get it home, plug it in (I made sure I had NO OTHER graphics drivers other than Intel HD Graphics and GeForce Experience installed) Took out the GT730 (this is the only card that actually worked, making me think my HD7970 was dead), popped in the GTX 1050Ti... wait for POST and suddenly *Beeeeeeep, Beeeeeeep ... Beeeeeeep, Beeeeeeep*... Oh no, not again! the card didn't work, I plugged in a DVI into my mobo and went into the BIOS (with the card still in the PCI-E Slot), go into "expansion slots" and see "not populated" on all of them, put the GT 730 back in and suddenly it shows up as it being in the slot...

I'm at the end of my rope here, I can't get a definitive answer as to what's wrong here and I cant find any sort of fix, someone said the power delivery system could be borked, someone else said the card doesn't support BIOS, Someone said its my PSU, someone said it's the card...

Any help would be amazing right now.

Thanks in advance.

Dylan.

4 minutes ago, Dylanc431 said:

Hey all, a while back I posted about a suspected dead HD7970 that was giving me a "no Graphics card in PCI-E" error, I decided to bite the bullet and order a GTX 1050Ti, just to see if it would work (it was on sale so I got it cheap enough to justify this). Anyways, I get it home, plug it in (I made sure I had NO OTHER graphics drivers other than Intel HD Graphics and GeForce Experience installed) Took out the GT730 (this is the only card that actually worked, making me think my HD7970 was dead), popped in the GTX 1050Ti... wait for POST and suddenly *Beeeeeeep, Beeeeeeep ... Beeeeeeep, Beeeeeeep*... Oh no, not again! the card didn't work, I plugged in a DVI into my mobo and went into the BIOS (with the card still in the PCI-E Slot), go into "expansion slots" and see "not populated" on all of them, put the GT 730 back in and suddenly it shows up as it being in the slot...

I'm at the end of my rope here, I can't get a definitive answer as to what's wrong here and I cant find any sort of fix, someone said the power delivery system could be borked, someone else said the card doesn't support BIOS, Someone said its my PSU, someone said it's the card...

Any help would be amazing right now.

Thanks in advance.

Dylan.

It sounds like your mobo is just broken even if you psu was bad it should still show in your bios.

3 minutes ago, Mark17 said:

It sounds like your mobo is just broken even if you psu was bad it should still show in your bios.

*sigh* was hoping it wasn't, but I think it might be, what baffles me is how the other card works absolutely flawlessly in the slot though

1 minute ago, Dylanc431 said:

*sigh* was hoping it wasn't, but I think it might be, what baffles me is how the other card works absolutely flawlessly in the slot though

It might touch the pins better or makes just enough contact it can be lighter or heavier so the card hangs a little bit different than the others. there can be so many things wrong.

1 minute ago, Mark17 said:

It might touch the pins better or makes just enough contact it can be lighter or heavier so the card hangs a little bit different than the others. there can be so many things wrong.

True... But you can eliminate the weight factor as I had the PC sitting on its side while doing any work on it to avoid stressing the motherboard, guess I'm buying a new board then :$

2 minutes ago, Dylanc431 said:

True... But you can eliminate the weight factor as I had the PC sitting on its side while doing any work on it to avoid stressing the motherboard, guess I'm buying a new board then :$

Hope you can play your games soon!

Bummer.  You don't have another PCIE slot available to try on your current mobo?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

1 minute ago, mmaatt747 said:

Bummer.  You don't have another PCIE slot available to try on your current mobo?

there's only one slot that'll fit a graphics card unfortunately

Did you ever get the 7970 to work?  If not, is it an OEM board (Dell, HP, etc)?  One possibility I could think of is that the PCIe isn't designed to deliver enough power for high end cards, hence why only your 730 works.  Either way I'd lean towards it being a motherboard issue rather than PSU, but if it's possible to eliminate that variable, try a swap there too.

Alternatively you just got really unlucky with two cards.  Having another system to test them on would help you out.

2 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Did you ever get the 7970 to work?  If not, is it an OEM board (Dell, HP, etc)?  One possibility I could think of is that the PCIe isn't designed to deliver enough power for high end cards, hence why only your 730 works.  Either way I'd lean towards it being a motherboard issue rather than PSU, but if it's possible to eliminate that variable, try a swap there too.

Alternatively you just got really unlucky with two cards.  Having another system to test them on would help you out.

Nope, It just... Died one day, what I did was I just moved a cable (after I shut the system down), turn it back on and it just never worked, does the same thing as the 1050Ti; "not populated" slot, both cards are actually getting power though, the board is an Intel board, and according to the spec sheet it is rated for the full 75W continuous draw from just the slot (pulling form 12V and 3.3V rails combined), The only other machines I have lying around are a Celeron and Pentium 4 machine, the rest are laptops... 

5 minutes ago, Dylanc431 said:

Nope, It just... Died one day, what I did was I just moved a cable (after I shut the system down), turn it back on and it just never worked, does the same thing as the 1050Ti; "not populated" slot, both cards are actually getting power though, the board is an Intel board, and according to the spec sheet it is rated for the full 75W continuous draw from just the slot (pulling form 12V and 3.3V rails combined), The only other machines I have lying around are a Celeron and Pentium 4 machine, the rest are laptops... 

Alright, what I meant by that was if the 7970 ever worked in the system, so that answer helps.  Which cable are you referring to that you moved, the 6 pin one?  Is the 1050 ti a 6 pin-less version?

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

Alright, what I meant by that was if the 7970 ever worked in the system, so that answer helps.  Which cable are you referring to that you moved?  Is the 1050 ti a 6 pin-less version?

I rerouted my 4 Pin CPU power from a hole beside the motherboard to a hole just above where it needs to plug in, I didn't spot it when I was managing cables first, and yes, it just pulls power from the slot, if you want the exact card it's the Gigabyte 1050Ti OC card (the one with no backplate)

But yes, up till that point it worked flawlessly

2 minutes ago, Dylanc431 said:

I rerouted my 4 Pin CPU power from a hole beside the motherboard to a hole just above where it needs to plug in, I didn't spot it when I was managing cables first, and yes, it just pulls power from the slot, if you want the exact card it's the Gigabyte 1050Ti OC card (the one with no backplate)

But yes, up till that point it worked flawlessly

I would just try powering the psu off again, re-plugging the 4 and 24 pin cables, and resetting the cmos.  If you have a 4+4 cpu cable, try the other half maybe.  Anything you think may have been re-arranged beyond that, use deductive reasoning.  

As you're doing this, make sure you're booting with as few devices connected as you can (even SATA drives).

Regardless of the outcome, I agree that it's more than likely the motherboard or the way it's delivering power (it may have a short).  But if you have a means to test the video cards on another system or another PSU, that would help you narrow things down for sure.

3 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

I would just try powering the psu off again, re-plugging the 4 and 24 pin cables, and resetting the cmos.  If you have a 4+4 cpu cable, try the other half maybe.  Anything you think may have been re-arranged beyond that, use deductive reasoning.  

As you're doing this, make sure you're booting with as few devices connected as you can (even SATA drives).

Regardless of the outcome, I agree that it's more than likely the motherboard or the way it's delivering power (it may have a short).  But if you have a means to test the video cards on another system or another PSU, that would help you narrow things down for sure.

I asked a friend of mine if I could use his system just to test the cards, he said I could but since hes in London right now he won't be available until Sunday, and I'll try that, I could use my old Seasonic 350W (Currently using an Antec 700W) just outside the case for pig iron, I don't have a 4+4, but I do have a separate connector altogether, I'll try that. 

what would you recommend as the minimum amount of stuff to boot with? 

Currently I have my GT730

My 4 Sticks of RAM (4GB each)

My boot/driver SSD

My HDD

And my front panel connectors/FP audio

11 minutes ago, Dylanc431 said:

I asked a friend of mine if I could use his system just to test the cards, he said I could but since hes in London right now he won't be available until Sunday, and I'll try that, I could use my old Seasonic 350W (Currently using an Antec 700W) just outside the case for pig iron, I don't have a 4+4, but I do have a separate connector altogether, I'll try that. 

what would you recommend as the minimum amount of stuff to boot with? 

Currently I have my GT730

My 4 Sticks of RAM (4GB each)

My boot/driver SSD

My HDD

And my front panel connectors/FP audio

As plain as you can while being able to boot into the bios.  Mainly just test it with you CPU, RAM, and the video card in question (and a keyboard/monitor).  Do this after replugging the cables and resetting the cmos.  If the card is recognized, then start adding on one thing at a time and see if any of those things makes the video card not recognized.  

It may sound like a weird tip, but I've had usb printers just prevent other devices from working before because of some weird short in that USB slot, or just prevent my PC from booting.  If there's no clear pattern in your findings, it just may not be getting clean power.

3 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

As plain as you can while being able to boot into the bios.  Mainly just test it with you CPU, RAM, and the video card in question (and a keyboard).  Do this after replugging the cables and resetting the cmos.  Then start adding on one thing at a time and see if any of those things makes the video card not recognized.  

I'll admit it's not a 'professional' tip, but I've had usb printers just prevent other devices from working before because of some weird short in that USB slot.

right, so I'll go ahead and see what happens, I'll keep the RAM installed, take out the GT730, put the 1050Ti in, leave my SSD but take the HDD out, replug everything, reset CMOS and then pray to the PC gods that it works