What's the deal with AMD vs Nvidia?

GenialGiraffe
1 minute ago, GenialGiraffe said:

This conversation has been pretty civil, so thank you for that. One question, how important is power efficiency in the real world? Like, say the difference between the RX 480 amd the GTX 1060

I'd argue that the average user will not notice anything substantial. However, higher power efficiency does equal less heat being produced. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

6 minutes ago, GenialGiraffe said:

This conversation has been pretty civil, so thank you for that. One question, how important is power efficiency in the real world? Like, say the difference between the RX 480 amd the GTX 1060

A hardware's performance is limited by its heat ceiling. While a few PC gamers will be "lol why do I care about heat in a desktop?", the fact remains that they are not the center of the universe and other customers buy video cards and other boards with those GPUs. If GPU A can produce 1000 bogomarks at 150W TDP while GPU B can produce the same at 175W TDP, companies who want to buy GPUs in bulk will buy GPU A, because they'll house them in server farms where the lower heat means less cooling costs.

At any rate, not everyone also wants to stack on a 4 slot GPU in their computers either.

17 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

A hardware's performance is limited by its heat ceiling. While a few PC gamers will be "lol why do I care about heat in a desktop?", the fact remains that they are not the center of the universe and other customers buy video cards and other boards with those GPUs. If GPU A can produce 1000 bogomarks at 150W TDP while GPU B can produce the same at 175W TDP, companies who want to buy GPUs in bulk will buy GPU A, because they'll house them in server farms where the lower heat means less cooling costs.

At any rate, not everyone also wants to stack on a 4 slot GPU in their computers either.

So for the average consumer it typically won't matter, but for those server farms would they buy reference cards instead of ones with aftermarket coolers? Is there any benefit? 

2 minutes ago, GenialGiraffe said:

So for the average consumer it typically won't matter, but for those server farms would they buy reference cards instead of ones with aftermarket coolers? Is there any benefit? 

Server farms would buy professional cards, which there are no custom coolers made for them. Mostly because they don't need it in the first place as they run slightly worse than their consumer counterparts for sake of reliability.

Well I can guarantee im no fanboy because I run both in my system

Breaking things 1 day at a time