1080p 144hz vs 1440p 60hz Ultrawide?

MrMista

I am currently using the Acer Z35 Predator and am extremely dissatisfied with ghosting produced, games like cs:go are unplayable I find it more enjoyable on my old 60hz 1080p monitor (although Battlefield is amazing). I plan on changing monitors and would like to stick with an ultra-wide curved monitor but am unsure what else to get? I spend most of my time on my PC ether gaming or programming, having the extra screen restate of a 1440p monitor would be nice but would it be worth sacrificing the higher refresh rate? My budget is between $700-$900 USD.

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Theres no such thing as 2k.

1080p is 2k but most people mean 1440p as 2k. whats your spec. 

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

1080p is 2k but most people mean 1440p as 2k. whats your spec. 

I7 4770k, gtx 1070 but i plan on upgrade to a gtx 1080

1 minute ago, MrMista said:

the 1440p solution would be better, unless you want high fps gaming. 

whys that.

i will guess its really annoying also personally  i hate ted, it's such a stupid concept. 

2 minutes ago, GamesOfThrones said:

@Dawson Wehage your profile pic triggers me 

Your post is not related to the topic. If you wish to talk about something else, use status updates. They work very well.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i will guess its really annoying also personally  i hate ted, it's such a stupid concept. 

what u don't like bears? lol

The geek himself.

what u don't like bears? lol

i love bears, its just the way they made ted its a really bad movie. 

i love bears, its just the way they made ted its a really bad movie. 

huh. its like the best movie ever, its not real life man, its a comedy. and normally comedies arent based on true stories.

The geek himself.

huh. its like the best movie ever, its not real life man, its a comedy. and normally comedies arent based on true stories.

its a vary poor excuse for comedy in my opinion. i watched it when it came out, not a good movie. 

its a vary poor excuse for comedy in my opinion. i watched it when it came out, not a good movie. 

Hmm, well people have different mindsets.

The geek himself.

25 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Theres no such thing as 2k.

2560x1440.............. like how they snuck that one in?

this is always a tough one. better resolution and nicer looking picture vs high refresh rates.......... if you play a lot of on line competitive games  I would go with the quicker monitor.

but if you have the hardware to run a higher refresh higher res monitor I would go with that. never liked 1080p above 24".

22 minutes ago, MrMista said:

Why would you upgrade a 1070 to a 1080? that is nothing but a waste for a few extra frames. However as for a monitor, I recently picked up a PG279Q its basically the best of both worlds with a higher refresh rate and 1440p. Highly recommend it if you can get yourself a good panel. Another option is saving a bit more and get the X34 for 1K, it comes with a 100hz refresh rate and a 3440x1440 panel.

Why not get an ASUS PG279Q or an Acer XB271HU and get a second monitor along with it? You get the pleasures of having a 1440p, G-Sync monitor with a 144Hz refresh rate while you can use the second monitor for productive work.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Why not get an ASUS PG279Q or an Acer XB271HU and get a second monitor along with it? You get the pleasures of having a 1440p, G-Sync monitor with a 144Hz refresh rate while you can use the second monitor for productive work.

I was thinking about doing that but currently already have a second monitor wall mounted above my ultra wide and don't really want to downgrade from the 21:9 screen. The PG279Q is still quite tempting though. 

11 minutes ago, MrMista said:

I was thinking about doing that but currently already have a second monitor wall mounted above my ultra wide and don't really want to downgrade from the 21:9 screen. The PG279Q is still quite tempting though. 

It really depends on your workload. I myself have the PG279Q and it's great, G-Sync being the one of the main reasons why I love it. If gaming is your main thing, then the PG279Q might be the one to get.

Productivity-wise, of course the extra space of the ultrawide is better but that depends on how strenuous your workload is.

Honestly, I'd hold off on the GTX 1080 because that'd be a waste of time and money IMO. Save the extra $200 or so and invest it into something like the Predator X34 and get an ultrawide with G-Sync and a reasonably high refresh rate.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

42 minutes ago, Coombzy said:

Why would you upgrade a 1070 to a 1080? that is nothing but a waste for a few extra frames. However as for a monitor, I recently picked up a PG279Q its basically the best of both worlds with a higher refresh rate and 1440p. Highly recommend it if you can get yourself a good panel. Another option is saving a bit more and get the X34 for 1K, it comes with a 100hz refresh rate and a 3440x1440 panel.

would wait for the x34p tho