Good WiFi Router in 2017

CerealSniffer

Hey all,

I was stuck with a crappy Telus combination DSL Modem/Router for a few years, but there's an ISP where I live providing faster connections and a standalone modem. Problem is, the last time I had a standalone modem was in 2010 and the only WiFi router I have is an old Cisco unit with Wireless G - ouch. Since I've been out of the game for a while, I have no idea what would be a good router to buy. The connection I'll be getting is 30/5 so it doesn't need to be overkill in terms of speed. I can see myself having between 4-5 wireless clients, most of which are 2-3 year old Android phones, and the rest will be wired. Preferably, I'd like to keep it at or under 100 Canadian rupees. Any ideas on what a good buy would be for my modest needs?

buy any modem/router combo, I'd recommend using your carrier's modem and a Mikrotik router. 

then buy an ubiquiti wireless point. they're top-tier stuff for amazingly cheap prices, and Linus uses these points himself. 

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

buy any modem/router combo, I'd recommend using your carrier's modem and a Mikrotik router. 

then buy an ubiquiti wireless point. they're top-tier stuff for amazingly cheap prices, and Linus uses these points himself. 

The new ISP doesn't have any combo units, just the standalone modem. Also, while I'd love to get both those units, it's quite substantially above my price range, and doesn't really provide any benefit for my use case. I've used Unifi gear at my workplace though, great gear for connecting lots of people.

Do you have old compute laying around or you could pick one up at surpass preferable with two nics ports and get Ubiquiti AC lite but this will defer go over your 100 rupees budget as the access point is ~120 dollars and if you able to pick up a free or cheaply server/business PC and find pick up cheap nic you can have yourself porvs best experience if have option in future for faster internet. 

In most use cases you should able to find best router for you budget and narrow the search to 100 rupees and choose the one preferable with most bandwidth or features you want because most consumer should able to handle around 10 users with no problems, if you need more than 4 LAN you might want to grab a cheap router or use old existing one as switch or another access point such as guest.  

Magical Pineapples

1 minute ago, CerealSniffer said:

The new ISP doesn't have any combo units, just the standalone modem. Also, while I'd love to get both those units, it's quite substantially above my price range, and doesn't really provide any benefit for my use case. I've used Unifi gear at my workplace though, great gear for connecting lots of people.

Then get something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Wireless-1350Mbps-Archer-C7/dp/B00BUSDVBQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1485222844&sr=1-1&keywords=router

It's probably alright for your use case. 

idk

8 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Do you have old compute laying around or you could pick one up at surpass preferable with two nics ports and get Ubiquiti AC lite but this will defer go over your 100 rupees budget as the access point is ~120 dollars and if you able to pick up a free or cheaply server/business PC and find pick up cheap nic you can have yourself porvs best experience if have option in future for faster internet. 

In most use cases you should able to find best router for you budget and narrow the search to 100 rupees and choose the one preferable with most bandwidth or features you want because most consumer should able to handle around 10 users with no problems, if you need more than 4 LAN you might want to grab a cheap router or use old existing one as switch or another access point such as guest.  

Was planning to just plug my budget into Amazon and see what comes up in that price range, but just wanted to pose the question first to see if anyone knew of some amazing router with oodles of features for cheap :P 

Thankfully I've already wired the house for Cat 5 for all the desktops!

17 minutes ago, CerealSniffer said:

Hey all,

I was stuck with a crappy Telus combination DSL Modem/Router for a few years, but there's an ISP where I live providing faster connections and a standalone modem. Problem is, the last time I had a standalone modem was in 2010 and the only WiFi router I have is an old Cisco unit with Wireless G - ouch. Since I've been out of the game for a while, I have no idea what would be a good router to buy. The connection I'll be getting is 30/5 so it doesn't need to be overkill in terms of speed. I can see myself having between 4-5 wireless clients, most of which are 2-3 year old Android phones, and the rest will be wired. Preferably, I'd like to keep it at or under 100 Canadian rupees. Any ideas on what a good buy would be for my modest needs?

If you have a option buy your own modem as well. ISP's like to charge a rental fee for the modem. With out knowing what type of Internet you going for I cant recommend a modem. Id recommend the TP LINK Archer C7 or C9 depending on availability. I know the C7 is generally 60 to 80 USD not sure how that translates to CAD. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

If you have a option buy your own modem as well. ISP's like to charge a rental fee for the modem. With out knowing what type of Internet you going for I cant recommend a modem. Id recommend the TP LINK Archer C7 or C9 depending on availability. I know the C7 is generally 60 to 80 USD not sure how that translates to CAD. 

I actually simplified the modem bit just for the sake of the post - it's a WISP, so there's an antenna on the roof that communicates with a tower, and a UV rated ethernet cable is run down to go straight into the router of my choice. So thankfully there's no modem rental (the equipment cost is factored into the monthly plan already)

1 hour ago, CerealSniffer said:

Was planning to just plug my budget into Amazon and see what comes up in that price range, but just wanted to pose the question first to see if anyone knew of some amazing router with oodles of features for cheap :P 

Thankfully I've already wired the house for Cat 5 for all the desktops!

How many desktop do you need? Most only have 4 ports so if you want more connectivity on LAN you might want to grab switch with enough port for your needs. Switch should be really cheap.  

Magical Pineapples

26 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

How many desktop do you need? Most only have 4 ports so if you want more connectivity on LAN you might want to grab switch with enough port for your needs. Switch should be really cheap.  

Already have a switch as part of my current setup! Thanks for the tip though. 

3 hours ago, Droidbot said:

This is a great choice, but I'd personally look at one of the supported routers for the Tomato Shibby Firmware. http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=69

Or a router around $120 that supports OpenWRT, DD-WRT, or https://advancedtomato.com/ since you'll have a much better (and more secure) experience than running the stock firmware that any consumer grade router ships with. (Although I'd like to note that most ASUS routers actually run a heavily modified variant of OpenWRT.)

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

In Canadia land, most ISP's require that you use their modem, and will "rent" one to you free of charge. (It shows up on your bill at $5/month, less a $5/month credit.) They do this for both ease of setup/customer satisfaction, and to prevent unauthorized modifications from being made to stock modems you could buy on Amazon. They charge and credit us so we can't claim "the modem is ours" when we decide to leave an ISP for a competitor.

I assume in the states most ISP's will actually rent you the modem as a way to make money, or allow you to outright purchase a compatible modem?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

10 hours ago, kirashi said:

assume in the states most ISP's will actually rent you the modem as a way to make money, or allow you to outright purchase a compatible modem?

The right to own a modem is a regulation from the FCC. Although ISP's in the states will provide less than stellar customer service if you own your modem. It saves at least $120 a year for us to own one. All you generally gotta do, is buy one and hook it up. Log in to your ISP's system and its set. ISPs will issue what ever firmware they need to the device. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.