The last version of Windows confusion.

NTDaws

Okay so since Windows 10 released, they said it would be the last version of Windows. Though the Extended Support, or updates go till 2025. Will they make like a Windows 10.1 or something after that? It's really confusing how Microsoft planned this out. 

The geek himself.

6 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Okay so since Windows 10 released, they said it would be the last version of Windows. Though the Extended Support, or updates go till 2025. Will they make like a Windows 10.1 or something after that? It's really confusing how Microsoft planned this out. 

i think 2025 is probably a loose target for corporate planning etc.

Photography / Finance / Gaming

3 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Okay, Windows 10 I see ńot the latest version. New versions are being worked on, although the extended support your taking about, that refers to Skylake Processor chips. Windows CLAIMED they were going to Disable compatibility with sky lake chips and any other versions of Windows, forcing skylake/kabylake users to use Windows 10. 

It will continually be called Windows 10 until Microsoft decides to call it something else. This means once you buy a copy of Windows 10, you will have every single update thereafter unless they do paid upgrades.

Windows 10 will continue to receive cumulative updates indefinitely.

It is the last version of Windows, and it will continue to be worked on and updated to new 'builds' - versions of the operating system. 

Current one is 1607, and insider is 1704. 

idk

43 minutes ago, CFstorm said:

Okay, Windows 10 I see ńot the latest version. New versions are being worked on, although the extended support your taking about, that refers to Skylake Processor chips. Windows CLAIMED they were going to Disable compatibility with sky lake chips and any other versions of Windows, forcing skylake/kabylake users to use Windows 10. 

Er no. Microsoft said if users wanted to consume media content with a certain DRM protocol that they needed Skylake or better because of some hardware DRM support.

Telling everyone they have to upgrade their hardware in order to use an OS for no real technical reason is incredibly stupid and despite what reservations anyone may have against Microsoft, they're nowhere near that dumb.

EDIT: I had to refresh my memory on this... From: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/01/skylake-users-given-18-months-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/

Next generation processors, including Intel's "Kaby Lake", Qualcomm's 8996 (branded as Snapdragon 820), and AMD's "Bristol Ridge" APUs (which will use the company's Excavator architecture, not its brand new Zen arch) will only be supported on Windows 10. Going forward, the company says that using the latest generation processors will always require the latest generation operating system.

That sounds more like hardware companies forcing people to use a modern OS, not the other way around. Microsoft can't afford to block their OS being used on older hardware, because how else will it expand its user base?

EDIT 2: Okay nevermind, I take my post back, but reading it more makes it sound more like they don't want to do feature updates on older hardware. They'll do security updates if the older hardware can support functionality similar to the newer hardware.

Industry analyst Patrick Moorhead of Moor Insights & Strategy suggests that for this reason the move may prove popular with the hardware companies. Cutting off support for old software when releasing new hardware is rarely popular, even though this legacy support has a substantial cost for hardware companies, with Moorhead suggesting that as much as a third of hardware company resources were spent on this. With Microsoft making the decision, it shifts the blame from any individual hardware, allowing the hardware companies to reap the savings, while Microsoft shoulders the blame.

Edited by M.Yurizaki

25 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Er no. Microsoft said if users wanted to consume media content with a certain DRM protocol that they needed Skylake or better because of some hardware DRM support.

Telling everyone they have to upgrade their hardware in order to use an OS for no real technical reason is incredibly stupid and despite what reservations anyone may have against Microsoft, they're nowhere near that dumb.

EDIT: I had to refresh my memory on this... From: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/01/skylake-users-given-18-months-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/

That sounds more like hardware companies forcing people to use a modern OS, not the other way around. Microsoft can't afford to block their OS being used on older hardware, because how else will it expand its user base?

EDIT 2: Okay nevermind, I take my post back, but reading it more makes it sound more like they don't want to do feature updates on older hardware. They'll do security updates if the older hardware can support functionality similar to the newer hardware.

Er Yes :P I was reading the same article. MS extended Skykake support to 2025. But yes, older versions will still kinda work

59 minutes ago, CFstorm said:

That something way different, I am not talking about skylake I am talking about Windows Security Updates going till 2025.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, CFstorm said:

Er Yes :P I was reading the same article 

But reading the comments from people who weren't all "OMG MICROSOFT IS STUPID", they pointed out a few things

• Certain Linux distro maintainers are on a more aggressive update path than Microsoft and probably have the same issues
  • It's more like Microsoft is declaring that hardware companies may not support older versions of Windows as time goes on. That is if you want to continue using Windows 7, you can, but don't come to Microsoft if your uber modern machine in 2025 doesn't run very well with it. So if you want the latest and greatest, you're going to have to use the latest and greatest.

6 hours ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Its fairly simple.

Windows 10 will be the last iteration of Windows (hence the Windows as a service remark), it will continue to be updated by builds until the foreseeable future. Only thing to expire will be the builds (Redstone 1, 2, etc.), if you do not receive the next build by the expire date, your windows experience will expire.

That is the summary of the thing.

Like I said simple.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

16 hours ago, Dawson Wehage said:

That something way different, I am not talking about skylake I am talking about Windows Security Updates going till 2025.

Inkwell, whatever you read, said that security updates for SKYLAKE would continue, other than that, Windows will always have security updates. And by the way, AWESOME account picture 

16 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

But reading the comments from people who weren't all "OMG MICROSOFT IS STUPID", they pointed out a few things

• Certain Linux distro maintainers are on a more aggressive update path than Microsoft and probably have the same issues
  • It's more like Microsoft is declaring that hardware companies may not support older versions of Windows as time goes on. That is if you want to continue using Windows 7, you can, but don't come to Microsoft if your uber modern machine in 2025 doesn't run very well with it. So if you want the latest and greatest, you're going to have to use the latest and greatest.

Yep. 

2 hours ago, CFstorm said:

Inkwell, whatever you read, said that security updates for SKYLAKE would continue, other than that, Windows will always have security updates. And by the way, AWESOME account picture 

thx haha

The geek himself.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 3:39 AM, Dawson Wehage said:

They make major updates to Windows 10 once or twice a year.

The original Windows 10 RTM was Build 10240.

There was the November Update in November 2015 (Build 10586) and the Anniversary Update in August 2016 (Build 14393)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),