Windows 7 Driver Help

I recently wiped my hard drive (keeping important files) of my ancient xubuntu and decided to go for windows 7. I installed it, and everything worked, and the Graphics driver worked. However, when I tried to install audio drivers, the only one I could find for my laptop ( A novatech X10-TP ) was 32 bit. I know that it's processor ( An atom N450) Is 64 bit, but I tried anyway. When I booted I was greeted with a black screen. I uninstalled the driver in safe mode, re-started, and found my laptop back to normal, apart from the fact that the audio driver was still not installed. I tried everything on the micronoft website but found nothing that worked. I even tried re-installing vindows 7, but that didn't work. Anybody know where I can find a working 64bit audio driver?

Joelsome2211

are you able to boot into windows?
Start > Device Manager > Audio 

Can you tell us what the audio chipset is? Realtek? Intel?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

3 hours ago, Joelsome2211 said:

I recently wiped my hard drive (keeping important files) of my ancient xubuntu and decided to go for windows 7. I installed it, and everything worked, and the Graphics driver worked. However, when I tried to install audio drivers, the only one I could find for my laptop ( A novatech X10-TP ) was 32 bit. I know that it's processor ( An atom N450) Is 64 bit, but I tried anyway. When I booted I was greeted with a black screen. I uninstalled the driver in safe mode, re-started, and found my laptop back to normal, apart from the fact that the audio driver was still not installed. I tried everything on the micronoft website but found nothing that worked. I even tried re-installing vindows 7, but that didn't work. Anybody know where I can find a working 64bit audio driver?

Joelsome2211

the audio chip probably only supports a 32 bit os

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

17 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

the audio chip probably only supports a 32 bit os

But if this was true wouldn't the 32bit audio driver have worked? When I installed it the windows installation broke. I had to go into safe mode to fix it. When it was removed the system worked brilliantly.

20 hours ago, mok said:

are you able to boot into windows?
Start > Device Manager > Audio 

Can you tell us what the audio chipset is? Realtek? Intel?

There is no audio section, but there is a network adapter section and under that is the following.

802.11 USB Wireless LAN Card

Realtek RTL8102E/RTL8103E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)

There is also a section that says Sound, Video And Game Controllers. Under this section in the following.

High Definition Audio Device

Any of this any help?

Hi @Joelsome2211,

Go over to this site called Ninite [https://ninite.com/] and select the K-Lite Codecs from their Media apps library, and any other programs that you may like, download the installer and then sit back and let the program run.

It may not fix your problem but it has helped me in the past with odd audio driver issues on a Toshiba laptop.

hope this helps

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 1:12 PM, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Hi @Joelsome2211,

Go over to this site called Ninite [https://ninite.com/] and select the K-Lite Codecs from their Media apps library, and any other programs that you may like, download the installer and then sit back and let the program run.

It may not fix your problem but it has helped me in the past with odd audio driver issues on a Toshiba laptop.

hope this helps

It installed then when I went to play a movie it just came up with an error. I think I need a driver, not a media player.

On 24.1.2017 at 2:55 PM, Joelsome2211 said:

But if this was true wouldn't the 32bit audio driver have worked? When I installed it the windows installation broke. I had to go into safe mode to fix it. When it was removed the system worked brilliantly.

So OS is 64bit? Sadly this sounds like the old LG laptop my dad had (before GPU died). Its drivers only supported 32bit OS which laptop came with. I tried first with 64bit version of same OS, but most of the drivers weren't compatible with OS version. So if you want to get audio working, you might just need to reinstall whole OS and install as 32bit.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 27/01/2017 at 0:03 AM, Joelsome2211 said:

It installed then when I went to play a movie it just came up with an error. I think I need a driver, not a media player.

Not sure that you understand the K-Lite Codecs from Ninite.com will install missing media runtime libraries that Windows operating environment cannot automatically download and so no longer supports?

Some programs like Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13.0 requires Quicktime to process different types of media files, for example, *.mp4. But Apple says it will no longer be providing security updates for its QuickTime for Windows application since version 7.7.9 built 7 Jan 2016.

Also, on my old machine, I have a Creative SoundBlaster (soundcard) and the drivers need to be installed manually from the Creative site. But Window's update keeps telling me that the sound card drivers are requiring attention even though the hosted driver files themselves have not been updated since 2012!

Link:

Apple Ends Support for QuickTime for Windows; New Vulnerabilities Announced (April 14, 2014).

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:55 AM, Joelsome2211 said:

There is no audio section, but there is a network adapter section and under that is the following.

802.11 USB Wireless LAN Card

Realtek RTL8102E/RTL8103E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)

There is also a section that says Sound, Video And Game Controllers. Under this section in the following.

High Definition Audio Device

Any of this any help?

If you went to the manufactures website, and they only offered a 32 bit version of the driver, yet you installed a 64 bit OS... What did you think was going to happen?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 5:49 AM, JefferyD90 said:

If you went to the manufactures website, and they only offered a 32 bit version of the driver, yet you installed a 64 bit OS... What did you think was going to happen?

The CPU is 64 bit tho

10 hours ago, Joelsome2211 said:

The CPU is 64 bit tho

Doesn't mean every other chip is 64 bit compatible, or that your manufacture made a driver for it.  If they only made 32 bit drivers, then you need to use a 32 bit OS.

Spoiler

22 hours ago, Joelsome2211 said:

The CPU is 64 bit tho

So has been every desktop chip since 2004. But OS' started to be more 64bit only in 2010s. Like I said earlier, I tried to install 64bit Vista on laptop which had 32bit before (it was from 2008) and there wasn't drivers for 64bit.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

Doesn't mean every other chip is 64 bit compatible, or that your manufacture made a driver for it.  If they only made 32 bit drivers, then you need to use a 32 bit OS.

Does that mean I need to buy windows again?

Soz I'm used to 64 bit...

1 hour ago, Joelsome2211 said:

No, Win7 and newer keys can activate both 32bit and 64bit version. You need to reinstall windows, though.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, Joelsome2211 said:

Please look at the guide in my signature.

Spoiler

On 2/1/2017 at 4:47 PM, JefferyD90 said:

Please look at the guide in my signature.

Your signature?

On 2/1/2017 at 8:04 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

No, Win7 and newer keys can activate both 32bit and 64bit version. You need to reinstall windows, though.

do they both come on the same disk?

1 hour ago, Joelsome2211 said:

I think so. Its probably under customized settings.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, Joelsome2211 said:

Your signature?

Yes, my signature.

Spoiler

22 hours ago, Joelsome2211 said:

You can just download Windows 7 from the Microsoft Software download page -click here-

It will require a Windows Product key to allow the download process to begin if both a 32-bit and 64-bit are available you can obtain them both then!

PRODUCT KEY: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

If you do not know where your product key is or how to find it, take a look at this Microsoft support page -click here- "Find your Windows product key". 

On 2/3/2017 at 5:58 AM, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

You can just download Windows 7 from the Microsoft Software download page -click here-

It will require a Windows Product key to allow the download process to begin if both a 32-bit and 64-bit are available you can obtain them both then!

If you do not know where your product key is or how to find it, take a look at this Microsoft support page -click here- "Find your Windows product key". 

The problem is...my product key has rubbed off the bottom of the laptop that we stuck it to so that we wouldn't loose it... so I have to use it without activation. I know it isn't strictly legal, but...

On 2/2/2017 at 4:07 PM, JefferyD90 said:

Yes, my signature.

What is your signature? How do I find it?

48 minutes ago, Joelsome2211 said:

What is your signature? How do I find it?

Show More under his post. Its hidden in Spoiler, and he's being lazy. So here 'ya go:

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv