R9 290 Reference

MrSufyaan

Is the R9 290 Reference worth getting if you can't wait for custom coolers?

Also I game in 1080p so is the 280x a better choice or should I future proof with the 290?

The 290 is not meant for 1080p. 

The 280x/7970 will already max out almost everything at 1080p.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

R9 290 is only a cut under the 290X I don't see why you want a card that is incrementally less than paying for a Top dollar GPU.

Although I could be future proof its to be expected that the heat output at 90'c will significantly effect the long term longevity of the card, since AMD kinda copied the feature Nvidia produced (GPU Boost 1.0/2.0 with the percentage and temperature it will dynamically be more effect so your card won't die

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Here is a great review I think grasps the full picture -- unlike Anadtech or OC3D (and, dare I say Linus Tech Tips [not at all as bad as the aforementioned]).

If you cannot wait for non-reference cards, you might want to consider an aftermarket cooling solution like watercooling or a custom air cooler as the stock cooler is known to be overwhelming loud. If you cannot wait for non-reference cards and if sound (plus maybe Nvidia's marketing exclusives) is worth $100 to you, then a 780 might be the right buy.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Here is a great review I think grasps the full picture -- unlike Anadtech or OC3D (and, dare I say Linus Tech Tips [not at all as bad as the aforementioned]).

If you cannot wait for non-reference cards, you might want to consider an aftermarket cooling solution like watercooling or a custom air cooler as the stock cooler is known to be overwhelming loud. If you cannot wait for non-reference cards and if sound (plus maybe Nvidia's marketing exclusives) is worth $100 to you, then a 780 might be the right buy.

I'll be watercooling this baby . :D 

The 290 is not meant for 1080p. 

The 280x/7970 will already max out almost everything at 1080p.

Yes but when you consider price of the 290 it is still worth buying for 1080p because it will push higher significantly higher raw framerates when maxed out on the most demanding games.

As you said it's certainly not a necessity for 1080p, but it's a luxury worth buying when you consider how good the price/performance is. No doubt it will age a better than the 280x as well.

Yes but when you consider price of the 290 it is still worth buying for 1080p because it will push higher significantly higher raw framerates when maxed out on the most demanding games.

As you said it's certainly not a necessity for 1080p, but it's a luxury worth buying when you consider how good the price/performance is. No doubt it will age a better than the 280x as well.

Whether it's worth it or not depends on the situation. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you have a 60HZ monitor get a 280x, if you have a 120HZ monitor get a 290x

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |