Ghosts in my Monitors!!!

Hello,

I recently upgraded from a 7970 to a GTX 1070 and have gotten a couple of issues after this.

First off, I swapped the graphics card and changed my cables from DVI and mini-d to DVI on my first and secondary monitor to DP and HDMI respectively, my 3rd screen is a projector connected to a home cinema system and then to computer via HDMI, with my 7970 and old cables everything worked great, but with the GTX 1070 and the new cables I'm experiencing some weird ass issues....

1. When i turn off my projector or home cinema system (HDMI) my 2nd monitor also turns off (HDMI) and will only work again if I do a full restart or unplug the HDMI cable to my monitor.

2. My main monitor (DP) goes black every so often, it does this at both 60Hz and 144Hz, its completely random when it does it, so far it has not happened in games, but often when browsing the web or not doing anything at all... and now for the weirdest part, and I swear I've tested this, I know a lot about computers, but I have absolutely no clue how this can be true, and have been scratching my head since I found another post saying he had this problem and testing it myself... When my phone is close to the screen it happens more often, like a LOT more often, and when I hang up after a call theres about a 50% chance of it happening, I swear I'm not making this up and I've had this issue over a week now and have tested it thoroughly and I am currently completely perplexed about this issue.

Psy.

sounds like your monitor is somehow not sure how this it possible having interference with radio waves. or even your cables are poorly shielded 

I don't know if there's some form of intermediate interference or something, but that's what it seems like. Also, I sure do hope there aren't ghosts IN your monitors!

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

4 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I don't know if there's some form of intermediate interference or something, but that's what it seems like. Also, I sure do hope there aren't ghosts IN your monitors!

what about ghosting on his monitors #CRTscreens

found someone that had their laptop power cable interfere with the vga connection on his monitor but vga is analog and display port is not so electro magnetic interference should be negligible

3 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

what about ghosting on his monitors

Well, that's an entirely different topic. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Tb428 said:

new haunted hardware video?

YES!!!!!!!

It's defaulting to a lesser version of said port. DP or HDMI most likely. (Now you have to roll out if driver/cable/luck/DRM is responsible). 

Some hardware may have an issue downgrading the handshake between two non symmetrical endpoints. 

Given you have a 1070 it's highly possible it supports a higher version of DP and or HDMI and it re handshakes when a display is disconnected a.k.a you turn off your projector. 

"But with my 7970 worked just fine." Of course. it's older, probably matches the firmware version of your screens (monitor and projector). And AMD cards where always better for multi monitor setups. This is not new, so drivers are more polished in this regard. (My assumption). 

DRM could be a thing here... newer AV receivers have a lot of issues with non DRM support. Loss of connection to no connection (image) at all. It may just fail to handshake, it's well documented on many Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon receivers with HDMI 2.0. Is this your case? I don't know. You'll have to rule it out. 

What i'd do:

0) Start here: Physical chek. inspect the cables and sockets. Check if they lock properly all the way in (That's what she said), and no damage is present on the cable wrap/shielding... having the phone close to the pc causing issues almost screams a shielding issue. 

1) Seek info on DP and HDMI version supported in your monitors and Projector.

2) Google if anyone had issues with 1070 and that versions of DP - HDMI. 

3) Test suggested fixes if any available. 

4) profit (??)

Btw: what PSU are we talking about?

3 hours ago, faziten said:

It's defaulting to a lesser version of said port. DP or HDMI most likely. (Now you have to roll out if driver/cable/luck/DRM is responsible). 

Some hardware may have an issue downgrading the handshake between two non symmetrical endpoints. 

Given you have a 1070 it's highly possible it supports a higher version of DP and or HDMI and it re handshakes when a display is disconnected a.k.a you turn off your projector. 

"But with my 7970 worked just fine." Of course. it's older, probably matches the firmware version of your screens (monitor and projector). And AMD cards where always better for multi monitor setups. This is not new, so drivers are more polished in this regard. (My assumption). 

DRM could be a thing here... newer AV receivers have a lot of issues with non DRM support. Loss of connection to no connection (image) at all. It may just fail to handshake, it's well documented on many Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon receivers with HDMI 2.0. Is this your case? I don't know. You'll have to rule it out. 

What i'd do:

0) Start here: Physical chek. inspect the cables and sockets. Check if they lock properly all the way in (That's what she said), and no damage is present on the cable wrap/shielding... having the phone close to the pc causing issues almost screams a shielding issue. 

1) Seek info on DP and HDMI version supported in your monitors and Projector.

2) Google if anyone had issues with 1070 and that versions of DP - HDMI. 

3) Test suggested fixes if any available. 

4) profit (??)

Btw: what PSU are we talking about?

there is almost definitely some sort of interference because otherwise his phone would not affect it and it most likely would not randomly cut out.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated, I will try out each suggestion as I find time and post when/if I have results.

As for it being a shielding issue, I was thinking the same thing, but the cables are brand new, no visible damage and I didn't think DP was susceptible to interference since its not analog.

After reading these responses, I suspect it might be a legacy issue, my main screen is an Asus VG248QE, my secondary screen is a AOC e2752Vq, and my tertiary screen is a BenQ W1000 projector connected to an LG BH7540.

If memory serves, the HDMI cable is 2.0, and I think the DP cable is 1.2 or 1.3, both the cables are 1,8m long.

On 1/20/2017 at 4:21 PM, Biggerboot said:

I'd try different video cables.  Something similar happened to me.  It wasn't with radio waves, but static shock.  Switching the cables made it less prone to this for some reason.

the new cable probably had better shielding 

Ok, I've been trying a few things with no results, it has gone black twice since last post and both times I forgot myself and placed the phone on the monitor stand, so I'm absolutely sure its my phone that triggers it, which begs the question, if these cables are susceptible to interference, why do they not come with a ferrite core like all DVI cables?

Anyways, I'm gonna try and order a ferrite core and stick that on the cable to see if it makes a difference.

I have also had some... "progress" on the first issue, new drivers were released recently, and after that my secondary HDMI screen does not turn off when my projector (3rd screen) is turned off, instead my main screen (DP) turns off.

Man this GTX 1070 has introduced some weird bugs to my system, were it not for 100-200FPS, 1080p at ultra in almost all games, I would have just gone back to my 7970 instead.

2 minutes ago, Psykicwarrior said:

Ok, I've been trying a few things with no results, it has gone black twice since last post and both times I forgot myself and placed the phone on the monitor stand, so I'm absolutely sure its my phone that triggers it, which begs the question, if these cables are susceptible to interference, why do they not come with a ferrite core like all DVI cables?

Anyways, I'm gonna try and order a ferrite core and stick that on the cable to see if it makes a difference.

I have also had some... "progress" on the first issue, new drivers were released recently, and after that my secondary HDMI screen does not turn off when my projector (3rd screen) is turned off, instead my main screen (DP) turns off.

Man this GTX 1070 has introduced some weird bugs to my system, were it not for 100-200FPS, 1080p at ultra in almost all games, I would have just gone back to my 7970 instead.

Dp shouldn't need a ferrite core because it is all didital not analog. Do you have a fm radio because that should suffer from any interference also. Also did tou get the monitor recently because it might be bad atleast on display port.

• 1 month later...

So, after a lot of attempts to fix it, it has finally been resolved, pretty much everything was fixed by a patch so obviously the problem was software, I'm guessing phone and other things introduced a small amount of interference and the code basically just shut down on first error or something, I can now put my phone on the foot of my screen without worrying about it shutting off.

As to the ferrite core, I know DP is digital, but the phone had a very obvious effect on the screen and logically digital or analog it is still electrical signals and susceptible to interference which bad coding can make into a big problem which is what I assume happened here, I also noted that a huge part of the people who had 1070 and 1080 had similar issues and they seem to have been fixed by the same patch.

Now to figure out a way to stop all my open windows from from scattering around my screens when I disconnect one of them and my setup will work as well as it did with AMD card, I must say AMD gets a lot of flack, but their drivers do seem a lot more refined, I wish they'd stop focusing on all this "Game Ready" crap and make everything else work perfectly.