Netflix tests 'ultra high definition' 4K video streams

Mac

It'll be quite cool when they roll this out and they are 4K ready, not planning to get 4K myself until the prices have come way down though.

Netflix, the TV and film streaming service, has started testing "ultra high definition" video.

Also known as 4K the technology offers four times the amount of detail as 1080p high-definition content.

Netflix said it plans to offer the first titles in 4K to customers next year.

But some analysts question whether broadband speeds in the UK are fast enough to cope with ultra high definition streaming.

"Average broadband speeds in the UK are 7.6 megabits per second, you would need to have at least double that speed to watch 4K reliably on a streamed basis," says IHS broadband analyst, Richard Broughton.

"Currently only 15% to 20% of households have the speeds necessary."

Despite wide availability of broadband networks in the UK's towns and cities, only 4.8 million customers are taking advantage of "superfast" speeds, defined by Ofcom watchdog as 30Mbps or above.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24805760

Pretty sure this topic has been posted a few times already during the past day?

Pretty sure this topic has been posted a few times already during the past day?

I'm on my phone so I couldn't check properly.

Already posted but

imagine the download required, like 6GB+ per hour? I d go thru my cap in less than a day...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Isn't Norway, Netherlands and Sweden already doing 4K streaming? Thought I saw something about that a few weeks ago. And I know for sure a Norwegian ISP already got Netflix caching servers. But in countries with lower average internet speeds I can see how it'll take some time.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer