Help needed for 2 router network configuration

// I've reposted this from Tom's hardware to maximise chance of assistance // 

Need a networking magician to assist me here please 

So I'm looking to invest in an Asus RT-N66U router for use in a home network. In a nut shell my devices upstairs are absolutely shocking with Wi-Fi connectivity. I managed to somewhat sort out my Xbox One by doing some port forwarding tricks to make cod and fifa atleast playable however I'm frequently getting booted from servers on BF4/rocket league/arma 3 on my PC due to my ping going through the roof and connectivity is generally bad for the PC. 

On the many topics I've read about achieving a 2 router network I'm still somewhat confused on what I can do with it. My devices (PC, Xbox) being wired into the back of a router in my room, my grandads PC is currently wired into the EE Brightbox 2 router downstairs (ISP provided router for those unaware of EE) and the few wireless devices like phones iPad laptop being connected via wireless to the BB2, would this in theory create a subnetwork upstairs that I could take advantage of for gaming and downloading/streaming specifically? 

I'm in pretty dire condition here, my PC is using a terrible little dongle for connection and even as I type this on my phone I only have 2 bars signal for WiFi upstairs. DL speed (displayed by router configuration page) is 8.02MB/s. Average speed on steam is about 750kbps, ping can be anywhere between 20 to 300.

Thanks in advance

Don't have 2 routers, make the second one just a ap and disable nat.

Id get a pure modem from your isp, not a modem router combo, then get a clustered wifi solution, like the unify stuff, and something like a edge router.

You can use routers as an access point, if you don't mind having a wire run upstairs. I use a 250ft ethernet cable ;) connected to an old router that I use as an access point.

Unfortunately running a wire isn't an option as my grandparents won't allow me to, hence why I was hoping that running a router up here connected to downstairs via WiFi would be sufficient. 

In terms of Electronic Wizardry's comment, could you possibly go into a bit more detail on the clustered wifi solution? 

Thank you for replying 

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Don't have 2 routers, make the second one just a ap and disable nat.

Id get a pure modem from your isp, not a modem router combo, then get a clustered wifi solution, like the unify stuff, and something like a edge router.

After doing some more research into the unifi AP's I reckon I'll stick with that budget permitting, would you recommend any specific modems or should I contact my ISP and see if they have one available? 

1 minute ago, Tiggzyy said:

After doing some more research into the unifi AP's I reckon I'll stick with that budget permitting, would you recommend any specific modems or should I contact my ISP and see if they have one available? 

Id use one of the arris modems.

Then get something like a edge router as a router.

Or you can continue to use your existing router, disabling Wifi on it once you get your new AP's in place if you go down that route.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications