Gaming headset that will last a long time...

TonyTheNain

Everything in the title!

the headset is for gaming. Maximum 350$ CAD

What type? Over ear/on ear? With mic or not? USB? 3.5mm? Wireless? Wired? 

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

What type? Over ear/on ear? With mic or not? USB? 3.5mm? Wireless? Wired? 

1-Over hear

2-with mic (absolutely!!)

3-not usb

4-wired

I'd recommend the Arctis line from SteelSeries or the Cloud line from HyperX. Sennheiser makes great headsets and headphones but I honestly couldn't tell a difference gaming on a $200 set over my arctis. I'm sure there are plenty of audiophile reasons why Sennheiser is better but the cheaper ones handle games nicely anyway. 

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

Hi,

I have the Hyper X Cloud II and it is brilliant, the quality is amazing and you can plug in with either 4 pole jack or USB, with the USB you get 7.1 surround sound. The mic is also detachable and they are very confortable, I love playing games and listening to music as there is a strong impact and best of all they are $112.99 from amazon.ca and prices do vary.

Hope this helps

Well, whatever you get, if durability and longevity are key make sure you have detachable cables. There's nothing worse than having a working pair of headphones with a broken cable because of your chair, dog, rabbit, child running with scissors that you have to trash (because if you're like me, the idea of trying to rewire headphones is not very appealing).

Other than that, I would be remiss to point out there are options where you can add an external mic to a nice audiophile level headphones for the "best" gaming experience. May last longer too, longevity of use isn't typically something there's a lot of data on. But a pair of Sennheiser 598 with a ModMic 5 would put you at 300 CAD or so, less if you went to a ModMic 4 and a Sennheiser 558 perhaps (or used another pair of headphones / mic combo entirely).

Just one of many possible examples :)

Full disclosure: I work for ModMic!

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

8 minutes ago, Vigilante505 said:

I'd recommend the Arctis line from SteelSeries or the Cloud line from HyperX. Sennheiser makes great headsets and headphones but I honestly couldn't tell a difference gaming on a $200 set over my arctis. I'm sure there are plenty of audiophile reasons why Sennheiser is better but the cheaper ones handle games nicely anyway. 

I have the Siberia 650s, they're amazing when you put the EQ on 'Perfomance' in SteelSeries Engine

idk

Hi,

I have the Hyper X Cloud II and it is brilliant, the quality is amazing and you can plug in with either 4 pole jack or USB, with the USB you get 7.1 surround sound. The mic is also detachable and they are very confortable, I love playing games and listening to music as there is a strong impact and best of all they are $112.99 from amazon.ca and prices do vary.

Hope this helps

Furthermore, the cable seems very durable as it has taken a bit of scratching from the sharp edge of my desk and it is fine, as well as this, it is made from strong metal and should not break

2 minutes ago, AAJoe said:

Well, whatever you get, if durability and longevity are key make sure you have detachable cables. There's nothing worse than having a working pair of headphones with a broken cable because of your chair, dog, rabbit, child running with scissors that you have to trash (because if you're like me, the idea of trying to rewire headphones is not very appealing).

Other than that, I would be remiss to point out there are options where you can add an external mic to a nice audiophile level headphones for the "best" gaming experience. May last longer too, longevity of use isn't typically something there's a lot of data on. But a pair of Sennheiser 598 with a ModMic 5 would put you at 300 CAD or so, less if you went to a ModMic 4.

How do i set an external microphone with a pair of headphones without mic integrated? 

1 minute ago, Fourmi_Killer said:

How do i set an external microphone with a pair of headphones without mic integrated? 

I returned my Sennheiser hd598 and mod mic combo because it's ridiculously bulky. The mod mic and the accompanying cables are a PITA

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

1 minute ago, AAJoe said:

Other than that, I would be remiss to point out there are options where you can add an external mic to a nice audiophile level headphones for the "best" gaming experience. May last longer too, longevity of use isn't typically something there's a lot of data on. But a pair of Sennheiser 598 with a ModMic 5 would put you at 300 CAD or so, less if you went to a ModMic 4.

My friend actually bought ATH-M50x's and a ModMic to replace a defective pair of Razer Krakens. His mic quality when calling is amazingly good, and the combination works quite well.

idk

2 minutes ago, Fourmi_Killer said:

How do i set an external microhphone with a pair of headphones without mic integrated?

Well, a desktop mic just plugs in and sits on your desktop. The ModMic there's a lot of videos on how it works, here's the Linus Tech Tips one for the ModMic 4.

I know it's kinda dumb, but the reason why i'm searching for a new mic is because it's not working properly at all. When i'm talking on skype with friends it works perfectly fine, but when i go in game and talk (with push-to-talk), people always tell me that my mic is fucked up. It became like that in a second without doing anything. I never touched the audio section in the menu. If anyone have an idea of what it could be before i buy a new one, tell me! (I have a  Steelseries Siberia 200) @Droidbot @deXxterlab97 @AAJoe @Vigilante505

Huh.... Can you be specific on what they tell you as far as how it sounds? That could help ID the issue. Also try recording into Audacity or something similar to make sure it is recording your voice properly.

Also, which game? Or what about Discord?

5 minutes ago, AAJoe said:

Huh.... Can you be specific on what they tell you as far as how it sounds? That could help ID the issue. Also try recording into Audacity or something similar to make sure it is recording your voice properly.

Also, which game? Or what about Discord?

They tell me my mic is loud and it is really really really bad. It does that in Siege. But when i'm on skype with my friends, eveyrthing is fine.

Try this: Download Audacity or use whatever windows comes with, record your voice, see how loud it is. 

Next, go back to properties, under levels, make sure the gain boost is set to +0DB.

Record again.

Then go to recording devices by right clicking the little speaker icon in Windows and find your mic. Go to properties. Look for something called AGC and turn it off. Record again.

See which sounds best and if any sound "too loud" like your friends are telling you.

Finally, go into the game and check the audio levels there, it may be the game settings have changed and for some reason its boosting your mic. Turn off any gain control, reduce the volume, and always, always, turn the boost to +0DB if at all possible. Report back when you're done!