i7 4790 Temperatures

Hello,

I've had this computer for one and a half years or so, only lately I've been monitoring them and damn are they hot. At idle I get 45c to 60c, right now I'm at 51c. During gaming I can get up to 85c, never seen it pass that mark since I lowered the amount my CPU can work at. In Cinebench R15, before I lowered the CPU work amount I would get 100c after two runs. I lowered the amount through Windows battery setting and set it to 90%. My air in my case is basically non-exsistant, intake from the back and exhaust through the top. Yep that means the air goes stright out, I bought it custom from a computer store didn't ask them where to put the fans since I thought they would've know better.... Guess not. :/

Still the temps seem too high for bad air flow.

8 minutes ago, Wolfenite said:

Hello,

I've had this computer for one and a half years or so, only lately I've been monitoring them and damn are they hot. At idle I get 45c to 60c, right now I'm at 51c. During gaming I can get up to 85c, never seen it pass that mark since I lowered the amount my CPU can work at. In Cinebench R15, before I lowered the CPU work amount I would get 100c after two runs. I lowered the amount through Windows battery setting and set it to 90%. My air in my case is basically non-exsistant, intake from the back and exhaust through the top. Yep that means the air goes stright out, I bought it custom from a computer store didn't ask them where to put the fans since I thought they would've know better.... Guess not. :/

Still the temps seem too high for bad air flow.

Sounds like youre using a stock intel cooler?

change your rear fan to exhaust and see what happens

consider spending $25 on a new CPU cooler, it will go a long way

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Have you ever applied any new thermal paste during the one year and a half that you have that PC?

3 minutes ago, mok said:

Sounds like youre using a stock intel cooler?

change your rear fan to exhaust and see what happens

consider spending $25 on a new CPU cooler, it will go a long way

Yeah, I'm using the stock cooler. If I were to change the only intake to an exhaust wouldn't it be worse?

4 minutes ago, snowPT said:

Have you ever applied any new thermal paste during the one year and a half that you have that PC?

No I haven't, I've only got as far as using compressed air to clean the dust out. I've never really touched any computer :/ .    

I had similar numbers on my i7 4770. Bought some arctic silver and it dropped all the way to 70 degrees under load with hyperthreading, which is pretty good for a stock cooler, in case you're not interested in installing an aftermarket cpu.

I think that the Intel Tuning Utility will still let you undervolt it.  It gives off a lot more voltage than is necessary to run the CPU.  Lower it a little bit, then run stress tests.  Repeat until it starts crashing.  I dropped 10C just by doing that on my 4790K.

9 minutes ago, Demiqas said:

I had similar numbers on my i7 4770. Bought some arctic silver and it dropped all the way to 70 degrees under load with hyperthreading, which is pretty good for a stock cooler, in case you're not interested in installing an aftermarket cpu.

I've gotten the best results with this.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 hours ago, Wolfenite said:

No I haven't, I've only got as far as using compressed air to clean the dust out. I've never really touched any computer :/ .    

I think you may start by replacing the existing thermal paste :) Buy a good one and get the old one out!