My 2 Gamers 1 CPU RIG

Me and my girlfriend decided to build a rad computer, so that we could play games on the couch together with seperate monitors. Currently running UnRAID with two Windows VMs.

GTX 1060

GTX 980TI

512GB SSD

I'll post the buildlog sometime down the road along with numbers.

lMy8SGg.jpg

blackshades on

thats kool however depending on the games you might find your cpu doesnt have enough power because you will only have 2 cores max but with the graphics cards your using should be nice just dont expect crazy high frame rates on newer games. good luck though 

13 minutes ago, joshfrog said:

thats kool however depending on the games you might find your cpu doesnt have enough power because you will only have 2 cores max but with the graphics cards your using should be nice just dont expect crazy high frame rates on newer games. good luck though 

The amount of frames lost is really small depending on the game of course, but since these are 60Hz 1080P displays it won't matter much. Would have gone X99, but this wasn't the original plan for this system.

I'll have a few game benchmarks showing the amount of frames lost on a system like this. Still worth it!

blackshades on

Another one joins the group, that is fantastic! How are you dealing with assigning USB devices to VMs?

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

3 hours ago, DieselWeasel said:

Another one joins the group, that is fantastic! How are you dealing with assigning USB devices to VMs?

I find the most difficult part is finding the correct USB device since I'm running a lot of off-brand wireless devices. The biggest challenge I may face is that I am using a single 512GB SSD as my disk 1 which is not recommended

blackshades on

There is a way to passthrough USB controllers to a specific VM but I haven't tried it out yet because I have a bunch of tests coming up. I think it should solve all my problems.

You have your ssd as one of the array drives? With the Unassigned Devices plugin? Right now I have one SSD set up like that and the other one as cache. But I'll switch it so that they are both under array drives. And in a day or two a 3TB HDD should be here. I'll use it for Plex and to store games on. No parity or cache

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

13 minutes ago, DieselWeasel said:

There is a way to passthrough USB controllers to a specific VM but I haven't tried it out yet because I have a bunch of tests coming up. I think it should solve all my problems.

You have your ssd as one of the array drives? With the Unassigned Devices plugin? Right now I have one SSD set up like that and the other one as cache. But I'll switch it so that they are both under array drives. And in a day or two a 3TB HDD should be here. I'll use it for Plex and to store games on. No parity or cache

Thanks, I will attempt to add a USB controller. May make things easier.

blackshades on