What's a good headset with a built-in microphone?

Poledancerz

Hi, first of all, I want to apologize for asking a question that is probably asked on here around 10 times a day, but some people enjoy answering questions :).

So, here's my scenario. I have recently been using my little 10-dollar earbuds to listen to music (which are perfect for me! I'm no audiophile.), however, there are some kids who I wish I could have a Skype chat with sometimes, but since I don't have any kind of mic, I'm stuck using IM-ing while they talk, which can get a bit irritating for them. I used to have a mic that was attached to my headset, I believe it was a Turtle Beach Px21, which was awesome! It worked perfectly for me, however, the things were fragile as could be, and the wires were a tad annoying. 

So just recently, I have been searching around a little bit for a headset that has an attached microphone and is wireless. I find myself tripping over wires and having wires spread throughout my room enough to the point where I'm done with them. I want something that I can wear on my head with literally no strings attached. 

I had saw a pair of Astros (I can't remember which model) that seemed like they would be perfect for me, because I could just plug them into the audio source, and then I could have walked anywhere in my house within a 20 foot radius or so and still be able to hear music/talk to people

I'm hoping the price range for something like this will be in the 200 dollar area, but if it's slightly more, so be it. 

The microphone does not need to be anything outstanding, just something good enough to where it's not irritating to talk to me in a Skype call. 

I'm not looking for a bluetooth headset, or something super portable, the headphones probably won't be leaving my room. 

Again, I'm sorry for asking such a general question, and probably coming across as an idiot... But I would just be upset with myself if I were to buy two 120 dollar headsets just for them to break a couple months after, because of their flimsy wiring. (hence, why I want wireless so bad!)

Thank you to everyone who helps me with this. :). Sorry to all who get irritated by this :(

Hi, first of all, I want to apologize for asking a question that is probably asked on here around 10 times a day, but some people enjoy answering questions :).

So, here's my scenario. I have recently been using my little 10-dollar earbuds to listen to music (which are perfect for me! I'm no audiophile.), however, there are some kids who I wish I could have a Skype chat with sometimes, but since I don't have any kind of mic, I'm stuck using IM-ing while they talk, which can get a bit irritating for them. I used to have a mic that was attached to my headset, I believe it was a Turtle Beach Px21, which was awesome! It worked perfectly for me, however, the things were fragile as could be, and the wires were a tad annoying. 

So just recently, I have been searching around a little bit for a headset that has an attached microphone and is wireless. I find myself tripping over wires and having wires spread throughout my room enough to the point where I'm done with them. I want something that I can wear on my head with literally no strings attached. 

I had saw a pair of Astros (I can't remember which model) that seemed like they would be perfect for me, because I could just plug them into the audio source, and then I could have walked anywhere in my house within a 20 foot radius or so and still be able to hear music/talk to people

I'm hoping the price range for something like this will be in the 200 dollar area, but if it's slightly more, so be it. 

The microphone does not need to be anything outstanding, just something good enough to where it's not irritating to talk to me in a Skype call. 

I'm not looking for a bluetooth headset, or something super portable, the headphones probably won't be leaving my room. 

Again, I'm sorry for asking such a general question, and probably coming across as an idiot... But I would just be upset with myself if I were to buy two 120 dollar headsets just for them to break a couple months after, because of their flimsy wiring. (hence, why I want wireless so bad!)

Thank you to everyone who helps me with this. :). Sorry to all who get irritated by this :(

>headset

>built in mic

>Wireless

We dark audio wizards here recommend none of these.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

>headset

>built in mic

>Wireless

We dark audio wizards here recommend none of these.

Unless you hate sound quality, which is cool.

Razer is a strong supporter in the anti-PC peripheral / sound equipment movement.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

Yeah, I fully understand that by going wireless and having a built-in microphone is going to take a HUGE hit in performance (It said so in the sticky for this page! I read before I posted :D... I didn't want to be a complete ignorant-jerk) , however, I'm no audiophile by any means. I've been using the same 10 dollar Skullcandy earbuds for the past year now, and they have been working for me perfectly. 

By the way, I just wanted to say, that your name and location really gave me a good laugh :)

Yeah, I fully understand that by going wireless and having a built-in microphone is going to take a HUGE hit in performance (It said so in the sticky for this page! I read before I posted :D... I didn't want to be a complete ignorant-jerk) , however, I'm no audiophile by any means. I've been using the same 10 dollar Skullcandy earbuds for the past year now, and they have been working for me perfectly. 

By the way, I just wanted to say, that your name and location really gave me a good laugh :)

So why not get a pair of studio monitor with a silly long cable and a solid Zalman clip mic? Get some quality in your life and never go back.

(I'm 6'6'' my shoulders are 30 inches across and I can bench 180 something. I weigh a grand total of 142 pounds.........)

Get this V-MODA Crossfade LP and a BoomPro Microphone The mod mic is out of stock, so yea. 

If you don't mine desktop mics a blue snowball and HD 558s

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

So why not get a pair of studio monitor with a silly long cable and a solid Zalman clip mic? Get some quality in your life and never go back.

(I'm 6'6'' my shoulders are 30 inches across and I can bench 180 something. I weigh a grand total of 142 

I have thought about getting a microphone that I could clip onto the headset or something, however, I just want the entire headset to be wireless. No more tangling, and nothing strangling me in the middle of the night when I'm restless =p.

I know that you guys don't agree with any of the things that I am using, and if I were to be in a more rigid environment that needed performance, I would NOT be using a built-in mic or wireless, however, being in my room all day and having a very small area, it's nice to have a more "all-in-one" approach to things, instead of having a microphone that won't be able to fit on my desk, wires that get caught up in my bed when I'm trying to sleep (I sleep with computer stuff on my bed).. 

Try to understand where I'm coming from :)

Logitech G930 and Corsair Vengeance 2000 are regular contenders for 'best wireless headset'. As everyone is well aware their sound quality is questionable however it's perfectly adequate for gaming and your chats. I personally have the G930 and it has suited me perfectly, I'm no audiophile either. The mic makes life easier has it is able to be swung out of the way and automatically mutes when up.

Do a quick Google and you can find reviews on either headset quite easily, including some direct comparisons.

If they are out of your budget then you can pick up some REALLY cheap rubbish which sound positively terrible but are easier on your back pocket. Wireless headsets tend to be more expensive than their wired counterparts so just have a shop around to see what suits you.

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

I have thought about getting a microphone that I could clip onto the headset or something, however, I just want the entire headset to be wireless. No more tangling, and nothing strangling me in the middle of the night when I'm restless =p.

I know that you guys don't agree with any of the things that I am using, and if I were to be in a more rigid environment that needed performance, I would NOT be using a built-in mic or wireless, however, being in my room all day and having a very small area, it's nice to have a more "all-in-one" approach to things, instead of having a microphone that won't be able to fit on my desk, wires that get caught up in my bed when I'm trying to sleep (I sleep with computer stuff on my bed).. 

Try to understand where I'm coming from :)

I feel you, but I also feel that only quality option cost $200 and doesn't have a mic. 

Might as well get a mic that attaches to your machine, then get a wireless headset from Sennheiser

Logitech G930 and Corsair Vengeance 2000 are regular contenders for 'best wireless headset'. As everyone is well aware their sound quality is questionable however it's perfectly adequate for gaming and your chats. I personally have the G930 and it has suited me perfectly, I'm no audiophile either. The mic makes life easier has it is able to be swung out of the way and automatically mutes when up.

Do a quick Google and you can find reviews on either headset quite easily, including some direct comparisons.

If they are out of your budget then you can pick up some REALLY cheap rubbish which sound positively terrible but are easier on your back pocket. Wireless headsets tend to be more expensive than their wired counterparts so just have a shop around to see what suits you.

That headset seems like exactly what I was talking about. Thank you very much for your post, I greatly appreciate it. If someone else doesn't come out with something else, this is what I will most likely be getting. My only complaint that I have about it judging from the pictures is the microphone doesn't seem to fold up. 

EDIT: The microphone does fold up :3. Perfect. Thank you very much.

(I'm 6'6'' my shoulders are 30 inches across and I can bench 180 something. I weigh a grand total of 142 pounds.........)

How are you 6'6 and 142lbs?? That seems impossible. I'm 5'7 and weigh more. (not fat) lol 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

How are you 6'6 and 142lbs?? That seems impossible. I'm 5'7 and weigh more. (not fat) lol 

I just realized how tall that dude is.. 

I myself, am around 5'7 or 5'6 and I weigh from a range of 110-120 (it depends how much I eat)... 

I'm pretty scrawny though :D

I have an eating disorder, my stomach is stupendously small and I can't eat much, I am also glycemic. 

It makes sense now all right. 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

It makes sense now all right. 

Kinda leads to me having to eat like a handful all day long. 

That headset seems like exactly what I was talking about. Thank you very much for your post, I greatly appreciate it. If someone else doesn't come out with something else, this is what I will most likely be getting. My only complaint that I have about it judging from the pictures is the microphone doesn't seem to fold up. 

EDIT: The microphone does fold up :3. Perfect. Thank you very much.

No worries, happy to help :)

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

Thread is TLDR, so sorry if this is a repeat suggestion. The Sennheiser PC 360 is about $160 right now, making it worth the price. The HD 558 (same drivers) plus a microphone will run you about the same amount of money.